Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting

runew73276507

When I run this script:

var myPresets = app.pdfExportPresets.everyItem().name;

myPresets.unshift("- Select Preset -");

var myWin = new Window('dialog', 'PDF Export Presets');

myWin.orientation = 'row';

with(myWin){

myWin.sText = add('statictext', undefined, 'Select PDF Export preset:');

myWin.myPDFExport = add('dropdownlist',undefined,undefined,{items:myPresets});

myWin.myPDFExport.selection = 10;

myWin.btnOK = add('button', undefined, 'OK');

};

myWin.center();

var myWindow = myWin.show();

if(myWindow == true && myWin.myPDFExport.selection.index != 0){

var myPreset = app.pdfExportPresets.item(String(myWin.myPDFExport.selection));

myFile = File(File.saveDialog("Save file with preset: " + myPreset.name,"PDF files: *.pdf"));

if(myFile != null){

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, myFile, false, myPreset);

}else{

alert("No File selected");

}

}else{

alert("No PDF Preset selected");

}

I need it to place the document filname automatically when the "Save as" dialog pops up:

Udklip.PNG

Can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use this:

myPath = app.activeDocument.filePath + '/' + app.activeDocument.name.replace (/\.indd$/, '.pdf');
          myFile = File(myPath).saveDlg("Save file with preset: " + myPreset.name,"PDF files: *.pdf");

Peter

• 2. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting
            runew73276507 Level 1

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much - it works perfectly!

Can you maybe help me with two other things in the same javascript?

1. If I want it to remember last chosen folder to export to - where and what to write for that?

2. If I before the export a PDF javascript code inside the InDesign document want to A: Resize a frame to a specific size - for instance 240x340mm - and B: Fit the placed file inside the frame with the function: Fit content to frame - can you do a javascript code for that?

• 3. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting

> 1. If I want it to remember last chosen folder to export to - where and what to write for that?

Write the folder that's used for the export to a disk file. When you run the script, check if the file is present. If it is, read it and use the folder name stored on the file; if it isn't use either a default value (such as the InDesign document's folder) or nothing at all, which shows the disk's root (probably).

> 2. If I before the export a PDF javascript code inside the InDesign document want to A: Resize a frame

> to a specific size - for instance 240x340mm

I don't really understand what you want here. Do you mean that you want to run a script before the export? Or do you want to store a script in the document?

> B: Fit the placed file inside the frame with the function: Fit content to frame - can you do a javascript code for that?

What is 'the placed file'?

P.

• 4. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting
                runew73276507 Level 1

1. What I would like in the script is that a specific path on a server is chosen everytime i run the script - for instance \\filserver\data\output\

Is it possible?

2. I use this code in the same script today:

if (app.selection.length != 0) {

for (n=0; n<app.selection.length; n++) {

app.selection[n].horizontalScale = app.selection[n].horizontalScale - 9.78;

app.selection[n].verticalScale = app.selection[n].verticalScale - 6.85;

}

}

Instead I would like a specific size is made by the script - for instance 240x340 mm - and then fit the placed file - in this case a PDF file - to the framesize.

Is it possible?

• 5. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting

1: You could use something like this (I suppose):

myPath =  '//filserver/data/output/' + app.activeDocument.name.replace (/\.indd$/, '.pdf');

2: You could use geometricBounds, which is a 4-element array specifying top, left, bottom, right of a frame. (It's probably neater to use a transformation matrix but I can never remember the details.):

gb = app.selection[n].geometricBounds;

app.selection[n].geometricBounds = [gb[0], gb[1], gb[0]+340, [gb[1]+240];   // 340 tall, 240 wide

app.selection[n].fit (FitOptions.CONTENT_TO_FRAME);

P.

• 6. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting
                    runew73276507 Level 1

1. When paste that code into here:

myPath =  '\\Polasaxoclustfs\SaxoGrafik\Side_Afsendelse_PDF' + app.activeDocument.name.replace (/\.indd$/, '.pdf');

myFile = File(myPath).saveDlg("Save file with preset: " + myPreset.name,"PDF files: *.pdf");

if(myFile != null){

I get this result, when I run the script:

Udklip.PNG

2. how to put in the gb code in this code:

with(myWin){

myWin.myPDFExport.selection = 0;

};

myWin.center();

myPath =  '\\Polasaxoclustfs\SaxoGrafik\Side_Afsendelse_PDF' + app.activeDocument.name.replace (/\.indd$/, '.pdf');

if(myFile != null){

}else{

}

}else{

}

• 7. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting

Escape your backslashes: '\\\\Polasaxoclustfs\\SaxoGrafik\\Side. . .'

• 8. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting
                        runew73276507 Level 1

1. then it just choose the same folder where the InDeisgn document is stored

myPath =  '\\\\Polasaxoclustfs\\SaxoGrafik\\Side_Afsendelse_PDF' + app.activeDocument.name.replace (/\.indd$/, '.pdf');

2. how to put in the gb code in this code:

with(myWin){

myWin.myPDFExport.selection = 0;

};

myWin.center();

if(myFile != null){

}else{

}

}else{

}

• 9. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting

1. You forgot the slashes between the path and the document name:

myPath =  '\\\\Polasaxoclustfs\\SaxoGrafik\\Side_Afsendelse_PDF\\' + app.activeDocument.name.replace (/\.indd$/, '.pdf');

2. I don't know. Lots of questions. Looks like a drastic addition, time to hire someone.

P.

• 10. Re: Help with a javascript - need the document name in filename when exporting
                            runew73276507 Level 1

1. Yes of course - it works perfectly now!

2. Fair enough - I am rookie but just very interested in Javascript to InDesign - thank you very much for your time Peter - I am really gratefull.

Have a nice christmas!