13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 6:31 AM by trshaner

Lightroom bugs eat bugs

NumbatStudio

I want to put it on record how frustrated I'm becoming with this software. It is NOT fit for purpose, definitely not for full-time professional photographers that spend most of their time editing images in Lightroom. It may be fine for hobbyists that don't earn their living from photography with time to spare for sluggish performance.... and enjoy trouble shooting software problems.

On top of other bugs that I reported earlier, I'm encountering this:

I select (Cmd A) all images in a folder with a particular attribute (usually around 25-40 'Picked' photos) to edit (Cmd E) in Photoshop. For some reason, it opens one or two images LESS than my selection. It is so frustrating, and time consuming to go back and see which ones did not open. Why on earth does this happen? I am so careful to make sure it is not my error deselecting images, but it is definitely not my mistake. I also do this procedure several times a day...since Lightroom 1.

I'm also very disappointed with Lr's performance since version 6. Everything is tweaked for maximum performance but is it just so slow. Why, Lightroom 6 on a maxed out 2015 MBP is noticeably slower than Lightroom 5, editing same images, on a 2012 MBP? Everything works great, and faster on my newer MBP, except Lightroom. I also re-installed everything from scratch when El Capitan was released but it made no difference in Lr's performance. It might actually made it worse.

Over my Christmas holidays I'm going to take a very good look at Capture One, and check for myself whether it is really better as everyone else seems to be saying. I don't care of the price difference as it's tax deductible anyway, and it's minimal in the scheme of things of my running photography business.

• 1. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

NumbatStudio wrote:

Over my Christmas holidays I'm going to take a very good look at Capture One, and check for myself whether it is really better as everyone else seems to be saying.

"Everyone" is saying that, are they?

I've used (and still use) Cap One since v.3, and I don't say it...

They've both got strengths, and - believe me - they've both got (plenty of) weaknesses: there are people just like you (y'know, serious, professional, demanding - all the things I'm sure that we mere hobbyists are supposed to be impressed by) on the Cap One forum making the same complaints.

Incidentally - this hobbyist (who shoots sport and wildlife) routinely comes to Lightroom 6 (actually CC 2015) with 1000 or more images from a session: and because I'm a hobbyist, my time is spread pretty thinly.

And Lr doesn't so much as bat an eyelid on my modest 16 gb RAM Win 8.1 box - it's as fast as I could possibly wish for, and every bit as fast as Capture One 9. And for the avoidance of doubt, I don't mean "fast enough for a hobbyist" - I mean fast.

Just sayin'...

• 2. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
            Rikk-Flohr Adobe Community Professional

Then you have another problem.

Lightroom is very quick on my Windows and Mac systems (both three-year-old).  Capture One is not any faster here. Here's one professional photographer saying that my experience is different than yours. That pretty much invalidates your  "everyone seems to be saying" statement.

You need to take a look and see if you have a corrupt preferences file or bad installation.

• 3. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NumbatStudio wrote:

I select (Cmd A) all images in a folder with a particular attribute (usually around 25-40 'Picked' photos) to edit (Cmd E) in Photoshop. For some reason, it opens one or two images LESS than my selection. It is so frustrating, and time consuming to go back and see which ones did not open. Why on earth does this happen? I am so careful to make sure it is not my error deselecting images, but it is definitely not my mistake. I also do this procedure several times a day...since Lightroom 1.

Personally I wouldn't use 'Edit In' to convert and open 25-40 image files inside PS. Why not use the Export module, which gives you the ability to select a target folder or subfolder, renaming, metadata exclusion, watermarking, and post-processing options including 'Open In Photoshop.' Of course that's no excuse for the behavior you're seeing when using 'Edit In' on multiple files. Since you're a long-time LR user one of the first things to try is reset your LR Preferences file, which can become corrupted after multiple LR upgrades.

Resetting the lightroom preferences file - updated - Lightroom Forums

NumbatStudio wrote:

I'm also very disappointed with Lr's performance since version 6. Everything is tweaked for maximum performance but is it just so slow. Why, Lightroom 6 on a maxed out 2015 MBP is noticeably slower than Lightroom 5, editing same images, on a 2012 MBP? Everything works great, and faster on my newer MBP, except Lightroom. I also re-installed everything from scratch when El Capitan was released but it made no difference in Lr's performance. It might actually made it worse.

MacBook Pro 2012 15" Display Resolution 1440 x 900 = 1.30 Megapixels

MacBook Pro 2015 15" Display Resolution 2880 x 1800 = 5.18 Megapixels

If using an external monitor the resolution may be even higher.

Your new MacBook Pro 2015 has 4 times more screen pixels than your older 2012 model. That means it require 4x (400%) more processing power to maintain the same LR performance.  Unfortunately the  system processor (CPU) and graphics processor (GPU) in the new MacBook  is only slightly higher perfomance, perhaps 25% to 50%. ERGO slower LR performance even with 'Use Graphics Processor' enabled. Don't blame Adobe!

My last suggestion is really, really simple–Don't update or upgrade any application (LR) or operating system (OS X) without doing some research. In the case of LR this forum is a good place to start! When Adobe comes out with a new update see what others with similar systems and OS are saying about it right here. I stopped at LR CC 2015.1.1 and jumped to LR CC 2015.3 only last week after reading many positive posts on it's behavior and restoration of the Import module. For sure YMMV on Mac OS X, but my LR CC 2015.3 runs just fine on a five year old i7-860 quad core Windows 7 desktop using a 2560 x 1440 monitor.

• 4. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
                NumbatStudio Level 1

trshaner wrote:

Personally I wouldn't use 'Edit In' to convert and open 25-40 image files inside PS. Why not use the Export module, which gives you the ability to select a target folder or subfolder, renaming, metadata exclusion, watermarking, and post-processing options including 'Open In Photoshop.'

'Edit in' used to work fine and it's fast way to edit. Why shouldn't it work anymore? Export module will slow me down for my workflow.

@

trshaner wrote:

MacBook Pro 2012 15" Display Resolution 1440 x 900 = 1.30 Megapixels

MacBook Pro 2015 15" Display Resolution 2880 x 1800 = 5.18 Megapixels

Wrong. Both retina displays with same resolution.

trshaner wrote:

My last suggestion is really, really simple–Don't update or upgrade any application (LR) or operating system (OS X) without doing some research.

Lr 6 is not exactly a spring chicken. It's been out a while. The OS didn't slow down performance.

Anyway, I am determined I will try out Capture One and I do understand that nothing is perfect. People in my industry that I know in real life and are using C1 seem to have only good things to say, and I will check that for my self. My preference is to stay with Lr as it is cheaper and less hassle to switch over, but speed and reliability are paramount for me.

• 5. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs

NumbatStudio wrote:

'Edit in' used to work fine and it's fast way to edit. Why shouldn't it work anymore? Export module will slow me down for my workflow.

Two people here have suggested resetting your LR Preferences file and if that doesn't fix the issue try a LR uninstall/reinstall. Time to implement & Test: A few minutes.

NumbatStudio wrote:

Wrong. Both retina displays with same resolution.

Well clearly there's something different with configuration of your MBP 2015. LR6 added GPU support. Did you try LR Preferences> Performance 'Use Graphics Processor' both checked and unchecked to see if that makes a difference? Time to implement & Test: A few seconds.

NumbatStudio wrote:

Lr 6 is not exactly a spring chicken. It's been out a while. The OS didn't slow down performance.

There were numerous issues reported with earlier versions of LR 6 and CC 2015. Are you running LR 6.3 or CC 2015.3? This is the Adobe recommended solution for performance issues with El Capitan: Lightroom and El Capitan | Mac OS 10.11 Time to implement & Test: A few minutes.

Your solution: Try Capture One. Time to implement & Test: Hours and hours......

Not saying you shouldn't try Capture One–Just consider the suggestions offered here before bailing out of LR. Good luck.

• 6. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
                    NumbatStudio Level 1

trshaner wrote:

Two people here have suggested resetting your LR Preferences file and if that doesn't fix the issue try a LR uninstall/reinstall. Time to implement & Test: A few minutes.

Did that. I also re-installed from scratch, not only Lr, but the OS too. And not a Time Machine backup, but a clean slate re-install.

trshaner wrote:

Did you try LR Preferences> Performance 'Use Graphics Processor' both checked and unchecked to see if that makes a difference?

Tried both. Can't see any difference whatsoever. I also read elsewhere that Adobe still has a lot to do to make that work properly, maybe that's why I see no improvement.

trshaner wrote:

Your solution: Try Capture One. Time to implement & Test: Hours and hours......

Not saying you shouldn't try Capture One–Just consider the suggestions offered here before bailing out of LR. Good luck.

Of course my preference would be to have Lightroom work properly as a solid professional grade software so that I won't have to waste my time re-learning something else in my free time.

After all, for years I recommended Lightroom to others as the one and only raw editing software and not to end up locked in some obscure system that goes down the drain (like Aperture).

Things change, companies get too big and complacent. They get blinded with profits (http://petapixel.com/2015/12/15/adobe-doubles-profits-thanks-to-growth-in-creative-cloud-s ubscribers/)... and the customer that got them there in the first place get short changed.

I'm older and wiser and not a fanboy of anything. I just want to get the job done as efficiently as possible. Lightroom started as my champion, but is now letting me down big time.

• 7. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs

You mentioned your MBP 2012 has no LR issues. If it's also running LR 6.3 or CC 2015.3 and El Capitan one would logically surmise the MBP 2015 should run the same or better. I can understand your frustration having tried the recommended solutions with no improvement. The only other thing I can think of is an issue with the LR catalog, which is different than the one on your MBP 2012. If you haven't already done so you could try creating a new catalog, import some image files, and run a test to see if it improves LR's performance. That's what you'll be doing with Capture One so perhaps you could use the same set of image files starting with a fresh catalog in both applications. Just a suggestion so you're comparing Apples to Apples (pun intended).

• 8. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
                        NumbatStudio Level 1

trshaner wrote:

You mentioned your MBP 2012 has no LR issues. If it's also running LR 6.3 or CC 2015.3 and El Capitan one would logically surmise the MBP 2015 should run the same or better.

No I did not say that. I said the older mac with LR5 was faster than then LR6 on even a newer, better specced mac. Both have 16Gb RAM, just one has a faster processor as one would expect after 3 years.

• 9. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
                          NumbatStudio Level 1

trshaner wrote:

The only other thing I can think of is an issue with the LR catalog, which is different than the one on your MBP 2012. If you haven't already done so you could try creating a new catalog, import some image files, and run a test to see if it improves LR's performance.

Done that too. Some Adobe guy  suggested that a while ago to tackle other issues.

The sluggishness is one thing but the errors and bugs is another. I still want to know why it doesn't always open ALL my selected images to be edited in Photoshop?? I have clients to deal with and can't afford miss images like that.

I also want to know why when I try to edit a number of images in Photoshop it tells me that Photoshop can't be found, then open 5 images in Photoshop, get an error message for every other photo yet to opened which I have to click.... then goes ahead and opens a second copy of the images in Ps. I described this in another thread and it is still not fixed. Both LR and Ps are installed as per Creative Cloud.

• 10. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs

NumbatStudio wrote:

The sluggishness is one thing but the errors and bugs is another. I still want to know why it doesn't always open ALL my selected images to be edited in Photoshop?? I have clients to deal with and can't afford miss images like that.

I also want to know why when I try to edit a number of images in Photoshop it tells me that Photoshop can't be found, then open 5 images in Photoshop, get an error message for every other photo yet to opened which I have to click.... then goes ahead and opens a second copy of the images in Ps. I described this in another thread and it is still not fixed. Both LR and Ps are installed as per Creative Cloud.

I read on one post that this can be caused when an older version of PS has not been fully uninstalled is or is resident in backup. The solution is to fully delete the older installation from all areas.

• 11. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
                              tonylives

Agree with the original poster.

From the way lightroom worked a year or so ago to the way it works now, there is a noticeable difference in speed.  Spot removal and brushes were fast, then excruciatingly slow to the point where one could barely work.  Now they seem better.  After the last update I have this slow export issue.  The software is becoming very unfit for professional use because as working people, we need to budget our time wisely.  Every time lightroom is updated now it's like a huge surprise as to what new malfunction will be witnessed.  It is becoming near impossible to depend on and plan a solid workflow around this software.  Going to look at other software at this point.  Adobe's quality control is a joke, and their inattention to detail is evident.

• 12. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs
                                NumbatStudio Level 1

trshaner wrote:

I read on one post that this can be caused when an older version of PS has not been fully uninstalled is or is resident in backup. The solution is to fully delete the older installation from all areas.

Not sure how I can fully delete the older installation. I leave it to Adobe's Creative Cloud to do the updates, assuming they are done right. I did had this issue in the past every now and then in previous versions of Lr too.

As a matter of fact I recently wiped the HDD and installed EVERYTHING from scratch, but I think there was a Ps update since then. It's massively time consuming. I am a photographer, not a software engineer so it takes me a lot of time to trouble shoot someone else's careless software writing.

• 13. Re: Lightroom bugs eat bugs

NumbatStudio wrote:

trshaner wrote:

Not sure how I can fully delete the older installation. I leave it to Adobe's Creative Cloud to do the updates, assuming they are done right. I did had this issue in the past every now and then in previous versions of Lr too.

Launch the Creative Cloud applet and check under 'Apps' and then under 'Latest Versions' and 'Previous Versions.' Uninstall older versions of PS if showing by hovering over it and clicking on the gear icon. Technically this shouldn't cause a problem, but I guess it can if there is more than one PS CC version installed (CC2014, CC2015). I have PS CS6 and PS 2015 installed with no issues, but I'm on Windows. Also check Time Machine Backups and for any older version of PS and delete them. I'm not a Mac user so you'll have to do your own research on Time Machine issues.