5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 6:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Upgrade 11 to 14

P1965 Level 1

Hello,

I am considering an upgrade from PRE11/PS11 to PRE14/PS14 and seeking input on the pros / cons of doing so.  Specifically, is the transition fairly smooth in terms of opening and editing the previous version's files and what are the main benefits of the newer versions?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Upgrade 11 to 14
          A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

11 to 14

You really should explore the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 14 before making any purchasing decisions.

Versions 11 and 14 have similarities and differences.

1. 14 has a new sharing area layout. What you know as Publish+Share is now called Export & Share. There is more than just the name change. SmartSound is replaced by Music Scores which are not SmartSound but do work off the same concept of being able to change soundtrack duration without altering the music arrangement. Expert workspace is markedly altered with audio considerations.

2. If you are interested in 4K video (3840 x 2160), 14 as well as 12 and 13 has project presets and export presets for this 4K sizing.

3. For what is new to 14

Help | What's new in Adobe Premiere Elements 14

4. For in depth look at 14 (first look and daily discoveries), please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 14 First Look Details

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 14 Daily Discoveries

5. There is no guarantee that a project created in an earlier version will open in a later one. And, keeping the older project and its media connected are critical in the transition. Because of the lack of backward compatibility, best work with a copy of the 11 project when you try to open it in 14. If you can, finish the 11 projects in 11. Do you have an large Elements Organizer 11 catalog? We can go into catalog conversion next.

Please review and consider what video editing tools you need. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Upgrade 11 to 14
            P1965 Level 1

Thank you for the response, ATR. There is definitely some interesting reading at those links and I like the recommendation of the trial before purchase and will likely do just that.

Hopefully the older version files will be editable in the newer version because even though I do have completed projects, I occasionally go back in and make minor changes to effects or just add/delete media.

As for the organizer function, I personally found it just as easy, if not easier, to locate and category all media and related to my own methods of filing so that shouldn't be an issue.

One burning question does remain, (as I am spoiled with using dual monitors) is there any improvement on the GUI for dual monitor set up in version 14?

Also, I am awaiting the upgrade to Win10, currently with dreaded Win8, so I should do this first?

Thank you,

• 3. Re: Upgrade 11 to 14
              A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the follow up.

As far as I can tell, the dual monitor feature remains the same in 14 (11 through 14) ... same concerns 11 through 14 versus 10 and earlier.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Dual Monitor Workflow Concerns

PE11 Dual Monitor Workspace Concerns

One of your decisions will be whether or not you want to do a clean install for Windows 10 or do a replacement for your Windows 8.0 with Windows 10. I went for the replacement of Window 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit. I was not sure that I had the product key information that I might need with a clean install for Windows 10.

Just make sure you have a safety net if you want to go back to 8 from 10. As for Premiere Elements, I would work out any issues with it in the present operating system. As I write, my impression continues to be that Premiere Elements problems are the same before and after the upgrade to Windows 10. And right now, we have a new variable in the mix - Premiere Elements 14.1 Update which needs to be defines in any operating system.

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Upgrade 11 to 14
                P1965 Level 1

FYI, an update on this;

As my old computer is approaching 7+ yrs old, I decided on a whole new system c/w a clean Win 10.  Verdict is still out on the Win10 platform, but now have a SSD for main drive and faster processor speed etc. Simply copied the old back up disk containing the project files to the new b/u disk and loaded Pre11.  The results were good as existing projects open faster and it found all related files. Each project then loaded fine but un-rendered and naturally with the exception of any former downloaded Pre11 graphics, menus etc.

The only issue so far is the random freeze up with "Premier Elements has stopped working" message.  Don't know why this is happening now, but after a removal and re-install, it has improved.  For now, going to hold off on the upgrade to Pre14.

• 5. Re: Upgrade 11 to 14
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the update with great news of your progress.

If you decide to explore Premiere Elements 14, please consider the free 30 days tryout of it before purchase to determine its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals. Once you establish a baseline for 14 tryout, then update the tryout to 14.1 to determine if it enhances the performance of the workflow.

Adobe Premiere Elements 14.1 update | Adobe Content Corner

Interesting to note - after years of telling Premiere Elements user not to put a stop mark at the end of Timeline content destined for burn to, this 14.1 Update is supposed now to allow you to place the stop marker there without the typical consequence of burn to failure.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects. Sounding good.

ATR