4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 11:39 AM by A.T. Romano

How to edit a slideshow, from a DVD, in Premier 14

Pattie J

I made a dvd slideshow in Premier 4, on old computer, I now want to edit a photo out of that said dvd slideshow, but I now have a new computer with Premier 14. When I choose "get media"" I select from"DVD camera or computer drive"  the Video Importer opens- with the VTS's of the dvd slideshow. BUT when I click "Get Media", for a bout 1 seconds it says Copying Media then, I get  Error Message    File already exists at : C:\user\Owner\Videos/  I click OK.    Then when I look in Files and Folders, C:\user\owner\videos\,  the  only thing I see is a folder called "Capture" which is empty.      There fore Premier 14 won't allow me to get anything into my timeline.  Is there a problem with Premier 14.  Please help.  I have had great success with Premier 4  & photoshop 6 in the past, but 14 seems so hard. Thanks in advance. Pat

• 1. Re: How to edit a slideshow, from a DVD, in Premier 14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are you adding when you Add Media? Are you recreating the slideshow by adding all of your photos -- or are you trying to open a Premiere Elements project that included the slideshow. Or are you trying to open the finished video you created from the slideshow with plans to cut the picture out of this video? It does make a difference, and I'm not sure what you mean you're saying you're opening a VTS.

You certainly will NOT be able to open a version 4 project file with version 14 of Premiere Elements. The program has evolved way too much.

To rip a video file from a DVD using Premiere Elements 14, you should put the DVD in your computer's disc drive and then use Add Media/From DVD Camcorder or Computer Drive. Once you select your video clips in the Video Importer and click the Get Media button, the video will be added to your project and copied to the folder you've indicated on your computer.

I've got a free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements 14 that you may find helpful. Part 2 deals specifically with adding media to your project and how to use the Video Importer.

*** Premiere Elements Basic Training***

• 2. Re: How to edit a slideshow, from a DVD, in Premier 14
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

I know actually what you are describing, been there and found that with Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows.

1. Disc in burner tray

2. Opened Premiere Elements 14 to Expert workspace.

3. Selected DVD camera or computer drive

4. Video Importer, selected  VTS_01_1.VOB, hit Get Media

5. And, in Expert workspace got hit with the following whether the destination was Videos or Desktop.

And the file did not already exist in any of those places.

14 problem.JPG

Solution for me...Close Premiere Elements. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

App Data

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 14.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. It is important to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

Then reopen Premiere Elements and try again to use DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer.

Please let us know if that works for you as it did for me. If worse came to worse and you are in a time crunch, then we could consider

a. opening the disc in the burner tray

b. copying the VTS_01_1.VOB to the desktop

c. importing that file into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets

I would prefer not to have to do that, but..

ATR

• 3. Re: How to edit a slideshow, from a DVD, in Premier 14
              Pattie J Level 1

Thankyou ATR and Steve Grisetti, for replying.
                                                 A.T. Romano, you understood exactly the problem.  Well I did what you suggested, by deleting Adobe Premier Elements Prefs file.........             and then tried again.    Well, of the 8 VTS's only the last six uploaded to my timeline----  I went back to "Get Media" and just selected  1 & 2, but a small window came up ----- Import Errors.
                                                                                                                                                                                    VTS_01_1.VOB  & VTS_01_2.VOB ..... File already exists at C\Users\Owner\Videos\ ....., So went into "File & Folders", selected 1 & 2 of the 8 and was then able to drag to timeline.   PHEW.....  I will now continue with my task.  It is a 3hr 40min movie slideshow, that I needed to remove one pic from.    Thankyou for your knowledge and help.  BUT  will I be going back and forth with normal making of videos, or was this just a once of, because of me trying to delete a pic from an already made Premier4 DVD.   Everything seems harder in this new Prem14 & Photoshop El 14.,  What is your take on the new 14 bundle. Or am I just too old for change. lol xx   Thanks again, you will probably be hearing from me again down the track. Merry Xmas all xx

• 4. Re: How to edit a slideshow, from a DVD, in Premier 14
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

Thanks for the update and thanks for exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

Sounds like major progress. Great job.

So far, with Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14 and now the 14.1 Updates for them, all are going well for me. I am strictly and Elements Windows user. There are user adjustments to make in going from Publish+Share (11 through 13/13.1) to Export & Share (14). My focus is essentially Premiere Elements, but I will put on a Photoshop Elements hat from time to time.

The principles stay the same from version to version, but the features can be moved around, get modified, are discontinued.  The version to version changes will become habit in a short period of time.

I often write that is frustrating to be armed with principles when you cannot find the feature that you need or even know whether it exists.

But, we are just a thread/post away, so never hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification on troubleshooting. Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes for the Holidays and always

ATR