8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2006 1:34 PM by Newsgroup_User

Need a little help

oates151 Level 1
      Ok I am trying to edit a DVD, I copied the Video_TS to my PC. I also bought Adobe Premiere like I was told to to edit the DVD, but it wont read the VOBs that I copied? How can I edit this DVD???

-Pat
        • 1. Re: Need a little help
          oates151 Level 1
          PS, Im posting this because I cant seem to the post button on adobe forums
          • 2. Re: Need a little help
            Level 7
            You perhaps need to post on a Premiere forum or list - as suggested
            yesterday, Director *isn't* the appropriate tool for DVD editing.
            That being said, you probably stand a better chance of editing source
            footage. Do you have access to it?
            • 3. Re: Need a little help
              Level 7
              oates151 wrote:

> Ok I am trying to edit a DVD, I copied the Video_TS to my PC. I also bought
              > Adobe Premiere like I was told to to edit the DVD, but it wont read the VOBs
              > that I copied? How can I edit this DVD???
              >
              > -Pat

Hi Pat,

Rename the VOB extension to MPG and then try import the files into Premiere. If
              that doesn't work, let me know.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: Need a little help
                oates151 Level 1
                K, the VOBs worked, what about IFO's and BUP's?
                • 5. Re: Need a little help
                  oates151 Level 1
                  When I click and drag the files into premiere it says UNSUPORTED OR DAMAGED FILES, but I can view them in WMP
                  • 6. Re: Need a little help
                    PepperKev Level 1
                    The movie industry doesn't like to tell you this but, DVD files are compressed video. Just because it's better than VHS doesn't mean it's suitable for editing. Editing compressed files will result in a bad end-product when you go to re-export. Especially if you have any intention of compressing the output again.

The only reason you'd want to do this is because you can't get your hands on the source footage. If you can't get your hands on the source, then either 1. you need to look at your archiving system; B. your client needs to look at their archiving system, 3. the source footage has been accidentally destroyed, or 4. The owner of the footage doesn't want you messing with their stuff.

If you have to do it for whatever reason, I highly recommend that you consider a hardware solution. if your computer has a Svideo-in plug or Firewire, then buy, borrow or rent a dvd player with Svideo or firewire. Then go to the Premiere forums and ask about capturing video without deck-control. They might refer to it as capturing "wild," ie. the application has no control over the operation of the deck ,it's just capturing whatever comes down the pipe.

Good luck!
                    • 7. Re: Need a little help
                      Level 7
                      On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:52:40 GMT, oates151 posted in
                      macromedia.director.basics:

> When I click and drag the files into premiere it says UNSUPORTED OR
                      > DAMAGED FILES, but I can view them in WMP

I highly second the recommendation that you begin asking questions about
                      editing video in Premiere in a Premiere forum. It only makes sense and you'll
                      probably increase the chances of getting the answers you seek.

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      Keep-On-Learnin'
                      • 8. Re: Need a little help
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:18:48 GMT, I have no screen name posted in
                        macromedia.director.basics:

> The movie industry doesn't like to tell you this but, DVD files are
                        > compressed video.

Indeed. TV has taken a drop in quality as well since most of it is broadcast
                        from (sometimes overly-) compressed digital video these days instead of good
                        clean component analog tape (BetaSP for example).

Good advice, no screen name.

Fortunately for me, my eyes are getting old and I soon won't notice

--
                        Mark A. Boyd
                        Keep-On-Learnin'