15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 10:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?

M Martineau

I'm wondering if I upgrade to Windows 10 will Premiere Elements 11 and Photoshop Elements 11 still work properly?  I currently use Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

M Martineau

Based on my experiences I would say Premiere Elements 11 should work fine on Windows 10 64 bit.

My impression continues to be that Premiere Elements problems are the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Premiere Elements On Windows 10 Daily Discoveries

When all is said and done, I still gravitate to Window 7 64 bit.

If you do upgrade from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit, Microsoft has been giving "within 30 day of replacement" to revert back to Windows 7 64 bit. But, Microsoft seems to count differently than others....so do any reverting back with 26 to 28 days from the upgrade if you want to go back to Windows 7.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
            jdv15831105

Hi All,

I hope some-one can help.  I have tried to reinstall Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 10 - two different 64 bit machines, it simply won't run.  I have tried the original CDs, and also tried to download from the web, no luck.  It fails with "serious error" if I try to start a new project. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

JD

• 3. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jdv

Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 10 64 bit.

Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of 9.0? If not, download and install it using   Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Do you have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1? If not, please use

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? How many cards do you have according to Device Manager/Display Adapters? If it looks like the driver version was updated during the upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit, then consider a driver roll back. If the problems point to video card/graphics card, then consider deleting the BadDrivers.txt file. See

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Are you running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges? Also, right click the desktop icon and select and apply Run As Administrator.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply. Any clarification needed on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                jdv15831105 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I am pleasantly surprised by the quick response.

I have checked everything you set out below, the graphics driver is up to date now with one dated 21 Dec 2015, more recent you won’t get.  This update made no difference.

When I start up, and choose “new project” using the default name, a new one is created overwriting the old default with the old name.  Then I only see this at top of screen, the rest is blank:

All menus are greyed out, except new project or open project.  If I choose “File” and load another new project, overwrite the existing with the same default project name, I then get this:

I cannot exit my Antivirus (Immunet) but can tell it not to check program startup – no difference.  My machine is a desktop, so drivers could in theory be an issue, but I have had a harddisk failure a few days ago and reloaded the whole machine, this is how I ended up with Win 10.  As I mentioned, the graphics driver is updated, and checked with NVIDIA automatic application too.  So I used the same files to load on my wife’s laptop, it has exactly the same result.  It also is a WIN 10 machine, also with Immunet.  No, not AHA yet ;-)…..

I then took my work PC (also laptop) which is WIN7 but also runs Immunet and is also 64 bit.  I used the same setup files from the web, first loading the normal setups and then the 901 patch (same procedure as the other two machines).  It works fine.  So the common denominator is WIN 10, 64 bit machines that fails.  I don’t think Firewalls are an issue as I don’t go out of my LAN.  But that said, no other SW than Immunet is running, so if there are Firewall software, it would be the Windows standard stuff.

Also deleted the baddrivers.txt file, no difference.

Have installed Quicktime, although this is not needed to load the page, I did it anyway, no luck.

Run as administrator is not an issue, I have full rights on all machines.  But tried anyway – no difference.

Windows 10 has a compatibility checker – if that has any value.  It says: 

PLEASE help, desperate and don’t want to upgrade $100 is a lot of money after Christmas ;-). 

Thanks

Regards

JD

• 5. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

Thanks for the follow up with good troubleshooting information.

I have installed Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 10 64 bit, so I know that it is possible.

Premiere Elements 9 was always characterized by its display card issues. That gave the BadDrivers.txt file deletion the opportunity to be the life saver in many of these situation with up to date video card/graphics card driver versions and display card error messages. In this area, you could also explore rolling back the driver version to determine if that affects the problem.

But....to explore....

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files Folder

Adobe

and, in the Adobe Folder, find the OOBE Folder and disable it by renaming it from OOBE to OLDOOBE.

Also, please check out the way you are including screenshots in your replies....you refer to the screenshots but there is no screenshot appearing.

I have more thoughts on this, but I will wait from your next reply in order to decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                    jdv15831105 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I am excited to hear that PE will run on Win10 64 bit – and it’s a matter of figuring out what is wrong on my PC, but I am not convinced this is driver related as I have loaded on the other PC with the same result … Exactly the same result…  I can’t roll back drivers as it’s a newly installed harddisk, but I can seek older drivers and install, but I think other stuff will fall over.

Strange that my screenshots are missing, I used Windows Snipping tool and inserted into the email, it is there in my sent items.  This time I will use Snagit.

I have done the rename of the folder you suggested… nope.

So let me try again with the screenshots.

Start up PE and make new project, blank screen:

As mentioned, none of the menus are enabled – except new project and open project.  Then, I supposedly have a new project open, but I use the menu and again create a new one and overwrite the old one, then it crashes:

On “OK” windows reports its stopped working and will try to find a solution.

Thanks for your patience, willing to try anything.

Regards

JD

• 7. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

Thanks for the follow up.

For now, a quick mention...for those screenshots, you may not be able to use them within the email notification web frame work. You may have to open to your thread through your web browser, and do a reply with Insert Image (camera icon) in a reply in your thread.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                        jdv15831105 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Ok, let's try this to get the screenshots in the reply:

Start up PE and make new project, blank screen:

Blank.png

As mentioned, none of the menus are enabled – except new project and open project.  Then, I supposedly have a new project open, but I use the menu and again create a new one and overwrite the old one, then it crashes:

Error.png

Regards

JD

• 9. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                          jdv15831105 Level 1

Hi,

Any ideas after I provided those screenshots two weeks ago? I am unable to get this software working on two completely different Windows 10 PCs, no matter what I do.  I load in on a WIN7 laptop, and it works straight away.  I would have upgraded but I simply have no trust that it will work so I would like to keep on this direction first. 

Thanks,

Regards

JD

• 10. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please start a new thread in this forum: Downloading, Installing, Setting Up to get you the help you really need or I will branch this thread into that forum.

• 11. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

Thank you for the update. We have been through a lot of very relevant and advanced troubleshooting steps in trying to get Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 installed on your Windows 10 64 bit computers. I do not leave a thread dangling. What appears to have happened here is that I lost sight of your thread in the Premiere Elements Forum which is your best opportunity for a Premiere Elements answer to a Premiere Elements question from someone who works with the program/computer and gotten results on this type of issue previously using one or more of the ways already mentioned.

The fact that your problem exists for two of your computers points to your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and not the computers. Let us explore that further.

1. To further support the 9.0/9.0.1 cause idea, for troubleshooting purposes only now, have you downloaded and installed the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 14 from Adobe?

2. Have you looked at alternative source for the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 installation files? See Adobe Other Downloads. Other downloads

3. Have you revisited the check list

a. latest version of QuickTime (7.7.9)  http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

b. running from user account with administrative privileges

c. trying to open to the workspace from the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

and, in the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Folder, find specifically the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file. Right click it. Select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click it to determine if it will open successfully.

Please consider and let us know your decision and results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                                jdv15831105 Level 1

Hi ATR,

After loading APE 9 on two PCs running Windows 10, with hugely different PC characteristics (both 64 bit but one is a laptop the other is a self assembled desktop) and both failing, already told me that the PCs, their graphics configurations and SW setups are beyond question.  On one of the two PCs (the desktop), APE 9 has worked perfectly until recently when I had a disc crash. This PC has been restored loading all latest drivers and software from scratch.  I installed from the original APE 9 CDs which I remember worked originally, but also downloadd and installed the latest patches. Both these Win 10 PCs display EXACTLY the same problems.  I mean EXACTLY.  I have tried all the steps mentioned, have checked that I downloaded the latest patches, the latest graphic drivers, have tried the tricks mentioned, tried even running as adminsitrator /9even though this makes no sense), nothing worked.  I spent hours and hours on this.  I have full administrative rights on both PCs, and I also don't see myself as unskilled, I have my own NAS setup with shared media streaming across multiple devices in our home, including two networked DVRs and SmartTVs.  I used the same downloaded APE 9 SW and loaded on a Win7 64 laptop, it worked immediately.  I further looked at your suggestion to load the latest free trial software, loadd it on the WIN10 desktop that won't run APE9, and it runs the 30 trial version fine.  So this finally tells me again, that my PCs are fine but there is a problem with the patched original installation.  I am sorry but I am really not convinced that support is provided for it on a WIN10 64 bit machine.

Regards

JD

• 13. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

Thanks for the update.

This morning when I opened my computer and saw your reply, I decided to install Premiere Elements 9 to my Windows 10 Home 64 bit computer.

As background, I used an Premiere Elements 9 installation disc that came in boxed packaging of Photoshop Elements 9 Premiere Elements 9 (purchased when 9 first was released).

So, I am dealing with my own old disc on a laptop computer with Windows 10 Home 64 bit which was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 64 bit.

There were no installation problems - Welcome Screen, New Product and then opened to screen with menus and in the middle of that the new project dialog. I OK'd the new project dialog with its default of NTSC DV Standard and the workspace appeared. Keep in mind that I have not yet download and installed the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update.

I closed the program. Downloaded and then installed the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update. Reopened Premiere Elements, and everything progressed successfully  as before 9 was updated.

If you think it would help in the differences between us, I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on another laptop. I could try to install Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 there also.

Are all your installs to the computer default location on the Local Disk C?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                                    jdv15831105 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Your report motivated me to try again, and three hours later, I may be a little closer to an answer, not sure. I uninstalled the trail version and then tried to run it again (without the latest patch).  This time, when I tried to open a new project and overwrite the old with teh new name, it said it had the serious error as before, but then displayed a Runtime Error - Microsoft Visual C++ .  I then checked and saw I had several versions installed, so I removed all and downloaded the 2015 version from teh web.  However, there were two "redistributable" files - one a X64 and another a X86.  Naturally I installed the X64 and tried PE - no go, installed the other, also no go.  So the question is which environmental files would be the ideal set for PE?  Please list all, ie Framework (and version), C++ redistributable and version etc.

Thanks,

Regards

JD

• 15. Re: Is Premier Elements 11 compatible with Windows 10?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

On the Windows 10 64 bit, I have installed Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 14/14.1, Premiere Elements 10, and Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. All are working without error.

I have no knowledge of what Microsoft Visual C++ goes with what program.

When I look at the lineup, I see sets of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable x64 and x86 for years 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013.

At this point, your deletions may force you into another uninstall, reinstall to gain back needed files. Did the Runtime Error - Microsoft Visual C++ give any specifics as to which of these was involved.

Adobe offers the following document https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-c-runtime-errors-products.html

which would point to the way to go in the absence of a specifically name Microsoft Visual C++.

The preference file that you would seek is called Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 14.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file tht you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

Need to call it a day. I will revisit this thread in the morning morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR