9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 6:48 AM by A.T. Romano

Missing thumbnails on timeline

donm26210672 Level 1

I have opened a project and the thumbnails on the video track are not displaying. My other projects are fine.

I am using Premiere Elements 13.

• 1. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Did you ever update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

What is now on the video track....

a. thumbnail with a colorful media offline display

or

b. thumbnail all in black

or

c. no thumbnail at all, just a Timeline with missing media

After the project was saved closed, have you moved, deleted, or renamed any files and folders that were imported into the project?

Where is your source media stored - Local Disk C or external hard drive?

Are all the imports gone or just some? Are you getting any "Where is the file _____?" messages when you open this project?

Please consider, supply more information, and then we will decide what next based on the details in your reply. If any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
            donm26210672 Level 1

I have Windows 7, Elements 13.1

The video track is blue.

The thumbnails are displayed in the Project Assets. I don't think I have moved, deleted or renamed any of the files or folders. The source media is stored on my local disc C.

All the thumbnails are missing on the timeline. No I'm not getting any"Where is the file _____?" messages when I open the project.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the follow up with important troubleshooting information.

I think that you have run into the video track display format getting changed some how.

Is this something like what you are seeing for the video track?

DISPLAYSTYLES.JPG

If so, click on the filmstrip icon to the left of the track name (Video 1 in this case). Repeated clicks change the video track display style from one to the other. There are 4 styles

a. the one that you see in the screenshot

b. one with all thumbnails

c. one with a thumbnail just at the beginning of the clip

d. one with a thumbnail at the beginning of the clip and with a thumbnail at the end of the clip.

Please let us know if the above applies to your situation. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
                donm26210672 Level 1

Thanks for your help. Thumbnails now restored.

• 5. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that thumbnails now restored.

Excellent job of describing your issue clearly so that the solution could be targeted.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 6. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
                    donm26210672 Level 1

Thumbnails restored but now the image in the player is showing vertically, not horizontally!

What do I need to do to restore it to normal landscape?

Regards

• 7. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

When you first imported these files were they ever in the correct landscape orientation?

You can rotate images in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 in at least two ways

1. Right click a Timeline clip, select Rotate 90 Left or Rotate 90 Right.

2. For more flexibility, select the Timeline clip, then go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Rotation feature there.

But, I am concerned if the images were landscape to begin with and some how they rotated spontaneously. The video track display format changes should not have done that.

Please consider, and let us know if any of the above worked for you. If you need supplemental information, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
                        donm26210672 Level 1

It seemed to be only one clip which was not playing correctly in the timeline. The others ar OK. So I've deleted it and re-inserted it and now plays at the correct orientation.

• 9. Re: Missing thumbnails on timeline
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Great news, and great job in identifying the core of the incorrectly oriented image and fixing the problem.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR