7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 6:30 AM by A.T. Romano

Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7

PaulF_2015

Hi,

Have just launched PrE 11 on a fresh install of Win10 and am checking my .prel files.

The edits I made to both DVD Menus --  main and scene -- of each job are missing!

So, for example, "Movie Title Here" appears on the Main Menu instead of the actual video title.

Did the Project Archiver forget part of the .prel project file?

Is there an "Edits" file somewhere I should be backing up for the job to be restored intact?

Thanks for your help.

PaulF

p.s. In a pinch, I can restore a clone of my Win7 partition and proceed differently.

• 1. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulF

Before all else, go into Tools Menu/Movie Menu and find the thumbnail for the Movie Menu theme that you used.

Does its thumbnail have a blue band at its top right corner. If so, right click the blue band, and select Download Now.

Then open the Premiere Elements project and determine if your menu is found customized or the un-customized condition.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
            PaulF_2015 Level 1

Hello Guru Romano,

Thanks for your quick reply and such a pleasure to exchange finally meet you. Accept my warmest thank you for your in-depth write-up on customizing .psd menu files. It was the essential step in getting my first big job finished: a 6-DVD set. Here's a screenshot of part of my Custom PSDs folder in C:\...\Online\DVD Templates\All_Lang to give you a look at part of  the final result and to illustrate my problem.

To answer your question: the templates are installed. I backed up All_Lang before the Win10 clean install  to avoid re-downloading one by one over 1 GB of data. You can see that the bottom two files I created from scratch are OK; the series-of-6 psds have unique names: TEN1-6. For earlier jobs, though, I copied Album and Red Leaves into Custom PSDs before re-doing them so as to leave the originals intact in their regular spot. But where did the edits made via Tools > Movie Menu in PrE disappear to? Is the newly installed PrE perhaps not finding its own "edits" file?

Peace,

PaulF

Win10 Teething Problems 12-2015.PNG Project Archiver Copied to...  folder.PNG

• 3. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulF

But where did the edits made via Tools > Movie Menu in PrE disappear to?

Any customization of the movie theme there would be embedded in the project file.

And, if

(a) you had movie menus downloaded and installed to the default Online location

(b) it would be expected, when you saved, closed, reopened that project file on a computer with theme file/folders in place

(c) that menu with edits should be displaying when you clicked Tools/Movie Menu in the opened project.

(d) Apparently they are not.This suggests a project - movie menu files disconnect.

In retrospect, it might have been better to do a Windows 10 replacement than a clean Windows 10 install which would be expected to erase "everything". In any case, before operating system upgrading, I would have probably copied the whole Online Folder as backup (to avoid all those Download Now) to a USB 8 GB Flash Drive and then use that to replace the Online Folder that would install when you installed Premiere Elements on the Windows 10 64 bit.

What was happening to the project files when you were doing the Windows 10 clean install? Were they saved to a USB Flash Drive? Where there any drive letter changes associated with the clean Windows 10 64 bit install?

Right now...determine if Premiere Elements install was made to default locations on the Local Disc C. Did you do a routine Premiere Elements install when the Windows 10 install was complete? Are movie menu directories are as they were before? When you open these project files (with customized menus gone) in Windows 10 64 bit, is the Timeline content still intact?

ATR

• 4. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
                PaulF_2015 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your very prompt reply.

To cut short, there are some gaps in my earliest video projects. I conclude that the mistakes were most probably my own, so better to stop troubleshooting and patch where necessary. It would be good to remember exactly how I messed up 4 months ago! At any rate, I have good notes and have learned a lesson in workflow.

The restore to an external drive of a Win7 drive image of C: made in August 2015 didn't turn up anything to suggest problems in PrE.

PaulF

p.s. The font SimHei included in Win7 is not part of Win10, so Photoshop throws a "missing font" message.

• 5. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulF

Thanks for the update with important troubleshooting comments.

Will you be able to install the font SimHei on Windows 10 64 bit? I found the following online regarding Windows Fonts and Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/some-fonts-are-missing-a fter-upgrade/95839dfa-0df2-4bc0-875a-fd6b57e61fe4?page=1

Have you seen it, and was it any help at all for the SimHei Font situation?

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
                    PaulF_2015 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I stumbled onto the same MS article while researching myself. It turns out that my Win 10 Fonts folder is less than half  the size of the Win  7 version.

So, SimHei is installed; I'm back up and running and clued in to what's going on.

Thanks again for your help and we're done.

PaulF

• 7. Re: Win10 - Restoring DVD Menu originals after move from Win7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulF

Great news. Great job. Appreciated you letting us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR