10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 3:18 PM by G009

Flex into the future

brettcristofer
      I'm just getting my feet wet with Flex. I've been lookng for a RIA technology to specialize in and this one seems to fit the bill. I'm a ColdFusion developer and Flex compliments that fine. My question is, "Do you all see Flex going forward as a dominating development platform?" We've all seen the next big thing come and go but Flex seems to be the 800 lb. Gorilla. What do you all think? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Flex into the future
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          I'm banking on Flex being huge in the future. It should replace more and more AJAX projects over time, and Microsoft won't be able to execute strategically with Silverlight as well as Adobe will execute strategically with Flex. Coming from a ColdFusion background you are golden.
          • 2. Re: Flex into the future
            levancho Level 3
            flex is very good friends with java too, so I have to give it a thumbs up too, definitely flex ,
            • 3. Re: Flex into the future
              Level 7

"brettcristofer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gmdceo$lnd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I'm just getting my feet wet with Flex. I've been lookng for a RIA
              > technology
              > to specialize in and this one seems to fit the bill. I'm a ColdFusion
              > developer
              > and Flex compliments that fine. My question is, "Do you all see Flex going
              > forward as a dominating development platform?" We've all seen the next big
              > thing come and go but Flex seems to be the 800 lb. Gorilla. What do you
              > all
              > think? Thanks.

We're all here because we think Flex has no future :-p

• 4. Re: Flex into the future
                levancho Level 3
                quote:

We're all here because we think Flex has no future :-p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• 5. Re: Flex into the future
                  rtalton Level 4
                  AMY! YOU PROMISED MR. ADOBE THAT YOU WOULDN'T TELL THE TRUTH IN HERE!!!
                  • 6. Re: Flex into the future
                    Level 7

"rtalton" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gmds7b$a8b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > AMY! YOU PROMISED MR. ADOBE THAT YOU WOULDN'T TELL THE TRUTH IN HERE!!!

There is no Mr. Adobe...

• 7. Re: Flex into the future
                      Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                      I think some are "here" because they have an interest in Flex, but they might not yet have the experience with Flex that leads to greater confidence in this technology.

With that in mind, I encourage others to chime in, even with just small bits, like levancho and his reference to Flex being friends with Java, so inquiring minds will have more substance to increase their confidence in Flex.
                      • 8. Re: Flex into the future
                        Level 7

"Greg Lafrance" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:gmep8h$evg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >I think some are "here" because they have an interest in Flex, but they
                        >might
                        > not yet have the experience with Flex that leads to greater confidence in
                        > this
                        > technology.
                        >
                        > With that in mind, I encourage others to chime in, even with just small
                        > bits,
                        > like levancho and his reference to Flex being friends with Java, so
                        > inquiring
                        > minds will have more substance to increase their confidence in Flex.

Pahty poopah. Ok...

I'm here because I believe that there's no clear development environment
                        that comes out as a clear winner for producing eLearning content at this
                        time. Captivate 4 has made great strides to become robust enough to handle
                        a greater percentage of eLearning requirements than Captivate 3, but I don't
                        think it's "there" yet, and if it doesn't offer true, robust scripting it
                        probably never will get there. Director is probably best of class at the
                        moment in terms of raw functionality, but its end of development is probably
                        much closer than that of Flex. Flash can be used to do eLearning, but
                        because high-end eLearning projects tend to have data connectivity and
                        handling requirements as much as or more than interactivity requirements, it
                        doesn't make sense as the overall "shell" for an eLearning app when Flex is
                        available.

We're beginning to see a trickle of eLearning projects in Flex, but I think
                        that if Catalyst ever becomes a product, that will go through the roof. The
                        eLearning market is a good space to be if you're a good, solid programmer
                        who wants a stable job, and I think the Flex community tends toward this
                        type of developer more than (in general) the Flash community. Many
                        eLearning shops have complained that Flash developers tend to come in long
                        enough to build their resumes/portfolios, and then they're out the door for
                        a more glamorous job where they can make "skip intro" movies all day.

So, I think if you're serious and want to work hard you can do well in Flex.
                        If you're not very technically inclined, it's probably the wrong place for
                        you.

• 9. Flex into the future
                          Ansury Level 3
                          "a more glamorous job where they can make "skip intro" movies all day."

rofl -- "skip intro" movies

That's good, I'll have to steal that term next time I have a use for it.

Oh yeah - and Flex isn't going away. Even if Silverlight sticks around long term (likely), it'll be the "alternative to MS". Plus I don't think MS has the ability or motivation to eliminate Flex (short of producing a better product, but they're behind the curve now).
                          • 10. Flex into the future
                            G009
                            Well, being a new to flex, i face many problems. But at the end i find myself really enjoying working in flex. Everyday i learn something new. And since flex can be integrated with JAVA, coldfusion and PHP. And these three fields i already worked in. So it really makes me happy working in Flex with either of three. I believe, in future flex gonna rule. I'm happy to be a flex developer. Thanks adobe.