24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 5:05 AM by trshaner

LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

DavePinMinn Level 1

I"m NOT saying .3 is worse than previous versions, as they weren't exactly blindingly fast, but I've been doing more work recently (MN in winter leaves a lot of time for playing inside) and I'm noticing more and more that there are areas in Lightroom where I see sluggish performance.

My system is an ASUS X99 Deluxe, with a 5820K running at 4.4GHz, 32GB of 2400MHz Ballistix memory, EVGA 970 GTX graphics board, 1TB 840 EVO SSD for O/S applications, LR catalogs, cache and so on.  Images are on a 2 disk 7200 rpm RAID0 array and a Wacom Intuous 4 tablet.  Windows 10 Professional.

I've unplugged the tablet.

ALL the disks go through weekly optimization (including the SSD) and show 0% fragmentation.  Windows 10 is a new 1511 installation installed from SCRATCH after the 1511 upgrade totally bollixed the operating system.

I THOUGHT some of the problem MIGHT be the wireless trackball so I plugged in a wired trackball.

I re-installed Lightroom 2015.3 with the new Windows installation.

I have a monitor running that provides information on temps in each core and the percentage busy.

Images are fairly large - Nikon D810 shooting full FX.

A typical folder contains 800-900 images, so there aren't a lot of images in any one folder.

In Grid, for example, using the mouse wheel induces a lag.  It's SOMETHING LIKE roll the wheel, wait, roll, images jump, roll and images move normally, roll, lag, roll, images move part of the distance they should.  It doesn't APPEAR to be specific in that it lags every time I roll the wheel, but there's a frequent, perceptible lag.  Even using the right scroll bar to scroll all the way up or down it'll jump, jump, jump, lag, jump, lag, jump...  Again, not consistent, but there are periodic points where it'll lag.

On imports, it IMPORTS quickly, but generating standard previews is slow.  On a RE-install of 710 .dng images, using and ADD so there no movement or conversion, and monitoring performance, the CPU ranges between 40 and 55% busy, memory is just over 4GB, and disk activity between 15 and 22 MB/s - virtually all READS on the RAID 0 array, and all writes to the SSD, which causes barely a blip on the display.  Import time is approximately a minute, but time to create STANDARD previews is over ELEVEN MINUTES.

Pressing ctrl/A to select all the images in the folder results in a delay before the images are selected.

Needless to say, operations in develop like adjustment brushes and other local adjustments can likewise show lags.

All the above is anecdotal, but typical of what I'm seeing on a daily basis.  In another topic I found an entry indicating that the Wacom tablet should be unplugged.  Mine IS UNPLUGGED.

And to "trash" the preferences.  Mine have been and been recreated.

And yet another indicated that the problem MAY be because the work being done in LR has exceeded the technology's ability to keep up.  Since this system never gets anywhere near full CPU usage, memory usage, or disk read or write maximums, I presume LR isn't exceeding the system's capabilities.

My current images, at 36 megapixels are large, but not significantly larger than the 24 megapixel images commonly created, and are quite a bit smaller than the 50 megapixel images Canon is currently creating, so I'd hope performance issues aren't still being blamed on image sizes.

Does anyone have ideas for tuning either Lightroom or the system to get rid of (or at least significantly improve) the sluggishness I'm seeing?

• 1. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
          dj_paige Level 9

My current images, at 36 megapixels are large, but not significantly larger than the 24 megapixel images commonly created,

50% larger is, in my opinion, significantly larger, and yes it will stress your hardware more and slow things down.

On imports, it IMPORTS quickly, but generating standard previews is slow.  On a RE-install of 710 .dng images, using and ADD so there no movement or conversion, and monitoring performance, the CPU ranges between 40 and 55% busy, memory is just over 4GB, and disk activity between 15 and 22 MB/s - virtually all READS on the RAID 0 array, and all writes to the SSD, which causes barely a blip on the display.  Import time is approximately a minute, but time to create STANDARD previews is over ELEVEN MINUTES.

Less than one second per image, and you consider this to be slow? I do not consider this to be slow at all.

In Grid, for example, using the mouse wheel induces a lag.  It's SOMETHING LIKE roll the wheel, wait, roll, images jump, roll and images move normally, roll, lag, roll, images move part of the distance they should.  It doesn't APPEAR to be specific in that it lags every time I roll the wheel, but there's a frequent, perceptible lag.  Even using the right scroll bar to scroll all the way up or down it'll jump, jump, jump, lag, jump, lag, jump...  Again, not consistent, but there are periodic points where it'll lag.

This is not the experience I have. Is your mouse wired, or wireless? If wireless, see if the problem goes away with a wired mouse.

• 2. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
            DavePinMinn Level 1

I can live with the slow preview creation, but in this day of 50 megapixel Canons, yes, I don't consider 36 megapixel images to be particularly large.  So WHICH part of the hardware is it "stressing"?  It's not burying the cpu by any stretch.  And it's not using nearly all the memory.  Nor is it anywhere close to the disk read or SSD write capabilities.  So, WHAT is being stressed that can't handle this?

And as far as the lag - which is by far the worse problem since it happens all the time - as I said in the original entry, I HAVE a wireless mouse, but to TEST, I plugged in A WIRED MOUSE to ensure the performance couldn't be blamed on the wireless mouse.  And I"m in here 'cause I"m currently running Lightroom, and movement in grid is very "laggy"...  ANY time I rotate the mouse wheel there's a very perceptible lag, followed by jumping to wherever the rotation would have taken me.  At that point it'll scroll fairly smoothly until I stop.  At which point, when I rotate the wheel again a second or two later, there's another long lag.  This ISN'T 100% images, or even large previews in loupe view, it's THUMBNAILS...  If this is a "stressing the hardware" issue, WHAT are people running that does perform a basic task like scrolling through a folder of thumbnails without lagging?

And if other people aren't seeing the problem, what do I need to do to tune LR (or Windows 10 if that's demonstrably where the problem lies) to alleviate the problem?

• 3. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DavePinMinn wrote:

I can live with the slow preview creation, but in this day of 50 megapixel Canons, yes, I don't consider 36 megapixel images to be particularly large.

As pointed out your system takes ~1.0 second  (11 min.÷710) to create a standard preview with the 36 Mp raw files, which is pretty darn fast! 

The lag you are seeing in the Library module Grid scrolling could be due to a Preview Cache issue. To test this create a new catalog named TEST and Import a sufficient number of files to test the scrolling lag (200 or more?). Make sure to select 'Build Previews> Standard in the Import module. After Preview building has completed test for scrolling lag in the Library Grid view. If all is well using the new catalog and Preview Cache. You can try rebuilding your original catalog's Preview Cache.

1) Close LR and rename the Original Preview Cache folder with a .OLD extension: YOUR CURRENT CATALOG NAME Previews.lrdata.OLD

This allows restoring it if the new Preview Cache doesn't resolve the issue. Lightroom will create a new Preview Cache on next launch.

2) Launch LR and open a folder in the Original LR catalog with sufficient image files to test the issue. Select all of the files in the folder and go to menu Library> Previews> Build Standard-Sized Previews.

3) After preview building has completed test scrolling again in the Library Grid view.

4) If the problem is resolved you'll want to rebuild the Standard Previews for all image files, which on your system will take ~1.0 sec/image file.

5) If the problem persists close LR, delete the new Preview Cache, and restore the original Preview Cache by removing the .OLD extension.

• 4. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                DavePinMinn Level 1

I created a test catalog and dropped in 4 - 5000 images.  Combination of .NEF of various sizes and .dng of various sizes with an emphasis on the current 36 megapixel images from the 810.  In the test catalog the scrolling didn't have the odd lags, so I went ahead and started LR building the new standard previews...

It's been going for just over 5 hours and it's through about 15,000 images, so it's taking about 1.2 seconds per preview...  I may shut it off and restart it at bed time 'cause it looks like it's gonna be at LEAST an overnight.

• 5. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

Thanks, please keep us posted on your results.

• 6. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                    DavePinMinn Level 1

Done rebuilding...  Boy am I glad I"m not one of those folks with a million images in the catalog!

Scrolling is back to "normal".

Is there something I need to do periodically so I DON'T ever have to do this again?

• 7. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

Good to hear that resolved the sluggish behavior in the Library module.

DavePinMinn wrote:

Is there something I need to do periodically so I DON'T ever have to do this again?

The best advice I can give you is to always update the Standard Previews after each editing session. Select all of the image files in the folder that you edited and go to Library> Previews> 'Build Standard-Sized Previews.' You can also click on 'All Photographs' under the left hand Catalog panel, 'Select All' (CTRL/CMD + A), and perform the same Library> Previews> 'Build Standard-Sized Previews update. LR will only update the previews for files that have new edits, which normally doesn't take too long.

When you upgrade LR (1>2, 2>3, 3>4, 4>5, 5>6) it also upgrades the LR catalog, Preview Cache, and Preferences file. During each upgrade there is a possibility for data corruption to any of these critical items due to one or more variables that were missed during Pre-Release Beta testing. What I suggest is to always backup your image files, LR Catalog file(s) and Previews file(s) and folder(s) prior to installing any LR upgrade. Also keep the previous LR version installed and catalogs intact until you are 100% confident the new version is performing properly and all previous file edits appear correct. During my upgrade from LR4 to LR5 (or LR5 to LR6?) the Previous version's Previews folder was hijacked into the new version Catalog and no longer available for use with the prior version. When I copied it back over to the previous version's catalog it was not compatible, so clearly changes are made to the Previews cache during the upgrade process. There were also numerous issues of edits that weren't properly carried forward during the LR4 to LR5 upgrade. This was due to added functionality in the Spot Removal tool (feathering lost) and Lens Corrections (Constrain Crop lost). Better to be overly safe than overly sorry!

If you feel the problem is resolved please mark my reply #3 as 'Correct Answer' to help others who land here with the same issue.

• 8. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                        DavePinMinn Level 1

Cool...  Yes, scrolling is now good.  I've been playing with LR for the last day, doing major things in the folders, and the scrolling is much better......

Which has revealed either "the real" problem or a new one...  But at least I can be more specific now...

When I open a folder - usually somewhere between 700 and 900 images per folder, so not a lot, and I'm in Library and select an image - ANY image, there's a VERY LONG hang.  By very long I mean - Put cursor on image, click mouse, wait anywhere from 2 - 5 seconds for the image to be selected.  If I MOVE the mouse during this period, when the selection gets made, it selects the image I end on.  AND, the mouse movement doesn't show.  Everything freezes, then releases and wherever the mouse is gets selected.  DURING the lag, there's a white popup or flyover display that comes up when you hover over an image, and THAT displays but VERY faintly.  It just sits there until the image is selected.  Once selected, scrolling goes back to working fine.

I'm not sure what the small, white flyover is, but it contains the image filename, exposure, and dimensions on my Lightroom...

What happens when I select an image?  Does the selection read something from the actual image on disk?  Or are these the standard previews in the preview cache?  Do I need to have indexing turned on or some such?  Or the opposite - turned off since my previews and catalog are on the SSD?

The same thing largely happens when I tell LR to jump to Develop with an image - it hangs for a couple seconds, but I can largely ignore that.  But since I'm currently working with a lot of images, and checking keywords, I have to select images constantly.  So, the lag is really apparent and annoying...

• 9. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

My Windows 7 five year old HP desktop with 21Mp Canon 5D MKII raw image files and a 2560 x 1440 monitor runs like greased lightning in the Library module.

Go to Edit> Preferences> Performance and uncheck 'Use Graphics processor.'  I also suggest updating the graphics drivers using the ODE  driver (Optimal Driver for Enterprise) download on Nvidia's website. Forgot to add that you need to check 'WMI' driver and 'Clean Install' boxes during the driver installation.

• 10. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                            DavePinMinn Level 1

I turned off the graphics card first thing after I realized the behavior I'm seeing now...  Restarted LR.  No change...

I think I said it WRONG ealier...  The thumbnail gets SELECTED instantly, the popup/flyover display faintly, and MOVING THE MOUSE once it's selected is where the lag occurs...  After 2 - 3 seconds (usually, sometimes it's longer) everything moves to where the mouse would have gone and if I've done another mouse click everything gets selected.  BUT, it's not just the mouse in the thumbnail panel.  If I select a thumbnail, then jump to the keyword panel and try to scroll up to see what keywords are on that image, nothing moves, then again it jumps in the panel once the lag ends.....

As far as the ODE drivers, I'm going to need more information - I can find the drivers, although I put the latest drivers on when I re-installed Windows 10 a couple weeks ago.  But, I'm not finding anything at Nvidia that says it's an optimal driver for enterprise.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Also, when I do the installation, selecting custom for the install, I have several components:

3D Vision Controller Driver

3D Vision Driver

HD Audio Driver

NVIDIA GeForce Experience

PhysX System Software

Are there any of these I SHOULD NOT install - other than the Geforce Experience, which I never install?

And I can't find anywhere to check "WMI" driver, although I did check "Clean Install", which I always check.

• 11. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

DavePinMinn wrote:

I turned off the graphics card first thing after I realized the behavior I'm seeing now...  Restarted LR.  No change...

The GPU is only used in the Develop module, but the graphics drivers could be causing the issues you are seeing. Like I said on my Windows 7 system everything in the Library module is speedy and for the most part in the Develop module.

DavePinMinn wrote:

As far as the ODE drivers, I'm going to need more information - I can find the drivers, although I put the latest drivers on when I re-installed Windows 10 a couple weeks ago.  But, I'm not finding anything at Nvidia that says it's an optimal driver for enterprise.  Can you point me in the right direction?

The ODE drivers may only available for Quadro GPUs. I found one driver 361.43 for your card here:

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

DavePinMinn wrote:

Also, when I do the installation, selecting custom for the install, I have several components:

3D Vision Controller Driver

3D Vision Driver

HD Audio Driver

NVIDIA GeForce Experience

PhysX System Software

Are there any of these I SHOULD NOT install - other than the Geforce Experience, which I never install?

Install all of those components...GeForce Experience is optional and not needed by LR.

DavePinMinn wrote:

And I can't find anywhere to check "WMI" driver, although I did check "Clean Install", which I always check.

You need to select 'Custom Install - Advanced' option during the start of the driver install. The WMI driver may only be available for Quadro cards, but it's not required by LR.

If this doesn't resolve the issues you are seeing then it may be a LR catalog file issue. Do a catalog Backup  with 'Test integrity before backing up' and 'Optimize catalog after backing up.' Reopen LR and try again. If the problem persists create a new empty catalog with a unique name, select 'Import from another catalog,' and then select your current catalog. Make sure the current catalog and all image files have been backed up before doing this catalog merge. After completion of the merge close and reopen LR and try again.

• 12. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                                DavePinMinn Level 1

OK, I installed everything from driver set 361.43, the same one you found.  I did a custom install, but there was nothing for WMI.

Didn't seem to make any difference.

Backed up the catalog again, making sure to test and optimize.  Didn't appear to make any difference.

Created a new catalog and imported the current one.  It's preliminary, but THAT seemed to help with moving the mouse after selecting...  Image selection appears to be immediate rather than taking several seconds.  I'll have to do more fiddling and actual work to see if it works as hoped, but at the MOMENT it appears to be better...

Thanks a lot for all your ideas...  I'll do some playing and see if it's really happy.

• 13. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

Good to hear. If you haven't done so already make sure to shut down all applications and reboot Windows (for good luck).

• 14. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                                    DavePinMinn Level 1

<mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble, curse softly>

Worked fine, fine, fine.  Could select, move, select, and so on.  Happy happy........

UNTIL I assigned some keywords.  As soon as I started assigning keywords, boom, back to the big lag.  No lag, keyword, lag!

I shutdown LR, hoping that would help.  Nope.  SO, I did a File>Optimize Catalog.  THAT seemed to get things back to "normal"...  I'll know more once I start applying keywords and renaming images and stuff...

• 15. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

When you assign keywords or make Develop adjustments (i.e. Sync) to a large number of files it may take some time for LR to update the database tags in the catalog. During that time LR may run slower. I'm not sure how many files your are tagging, but this is a guess as to what's causing the lag. Closing LR and optimizing the catalog helps because a large number of catalog database entries have been changed (new keywords). Optimizing the catalog reorganizes the database entries on disk sort of like defrag, which speeds up the LR catalog. The Previews folder uses a similar database and LR optimizes it as well. So it's also helpful to do a catalog optimization after updating a large number of previews or importing a large number of files with preview building.

(Implemented 4 years ago)

Lightroom Optimize Catalog feature should be extended to all database files

Also make sure you don't have 'Automatically write changes into XMP checked in the Catalog Settings. This will definitely slow down LR when doing batch keywording and Develop changes,

• 16. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                                        DavePinMinn Level 1

I'm not sure how many images would be a large number, but TYPICALLY I'm working in a single folder so I may be updating keywords on as few as 300 or as many as 8-900 images.  Once done, I do a save metadata to file on all the changed images.

I've NEVER been able to have the "automatically write changes into XMP" - from V1 on 'cause it makes everything in the library run like an absolute pig.  All my images are imported as .dng files, which I've always figured was why it was unusable.

Once the keywording is updated to what it should be, I do a file rename outside Lightroom since I'm usually altering all the files in the folder and the tools for renaming files in LR are far too limited.  I could do the renaming in Bridge, but a dedicated bulk renaming utility is faster and easier.  Then I do a synchronize and import everything that's been changed.

At this point, once synchronized, I now do an optimize on the catalog, close and restart Lightroom...  It APPEARS that the lag is better until I start doing actual work again (adding, updating, occasionally deleting keywords) then things slow down drastically again.  If necessary, I can optimize frequently, but I would think a lot of users would run into the same kind of issues when importing a day's images - presuming they're shooting quite a few images (somewhere between 300 and a couple thousand) in a day when working...  At least when I'm importing a bunch of images, I'm assigning quite a few keywords - more than I'm currently adding or changing.  Or does LR handle new images differently than images having keywords updated after the initial import?

• 17. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

DavePinMinn wrote:

I'm not sure how many images would be a large number, but TYPICALLY I'm working in a single folder so I may be updating keywords on as few as 300 or as many as 8-900 images.  Once done, I do a save metadata to file on all the changed images.

It could take many minutes for the 'Save Metadata to File' operation to complete with 800-900 images being updated. Until the operation has finished LR may run slower. If you continue with a 2nd, 3rd, or more of these operations on other large groups of image files it could take considerably longer to complete.

DavePinMinn wrote:

Once the keywording is updated to what it should be, I do a file rename outside Lightroom since I'm usually altering all the files in the folder and the tools for renaming files in LR are far too limited.  I could do the renaming in Bridge, but a dedicated bulk renaming utility is faster and easier.  Then I do a synchronize and import everything that's been changed.

Why bother renaming the files when you can provide that intelligence using keywords? When files are renamed outside LR they become disconnected from the LR catalog database (i.e. ! icons on thumbnails). You then need to manually "remove" these orphaned entries, which fragments the LR catalog file. Yes you can Optimize the file to reduce fragmentation, but it may leave some database areas fragmented. I highly recommend Peter Krogh's on this subject:

Organizing Your Photos with Lightroom 5 - The DAM Book

• 18. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                                            DavePinMinn Level 1

Yes, when saving 200-800-1000 images metadata is takes a while, so nothing is happening during that.  I just let it sit and churn.  Same thing for the synchronize later.  That part isn't a problem.

I read the DAM Book and I'm using that system.  But, I have images that can be renamed to better conform to the "non-contextual" naming and using keywords better.  Thus, renaming outside Lightroom.

Yes, they get disconnected, but I've updated the keywords and saved everything to the files.  I don't use stacks or collections for anything other than short-term things, so disconnecting isn't an issue.  My goal is to have buckets with images in them with non-contextual names so everything is done with ratings, labels, and keywords rather than having descriptive text in the filename.  It doesn't work real well, and it takes extra time to import new images - and of course it's extremely slow to rename files in Lightroom.

So, this system is working fine to get everything updated and consistent.  BUT, none of that is the problem, so IGNORING all the other stuff...

Once I start working with keywords on a folder of images, things get very laggy.  I can't imagine I'm the only person out there assigning/updating keywords on a few hundred images at a time.  If others are getting poor performance once they're adding/updating/deleting keywords on a bunch of images, it seems like a Lightroom issue.  If it's only me, I figure there's some tuning issue or cache issue or setting issue or preference issue or something...  I suppose it could be hardware, but I find that hard to believe given I'm using an SSD for the catalog and a RAID0 array for the images.

I'm currently in LR, moving around a folder, NOT changing anything, just selecting an image, then using the mouse wheel to scroll a few dozen images, then doing a shift/click to select that section of images, scrolling again, shift/click, and repeat.  There's a significant lag.  I have the resource monitor running...

The process NT Kernel & System has a few writes happening and a lot of reads from preview folders

MsMpEng.exe WAS reading a LOT of files from the previews folders so I changed the registry to keep Windows Defender from running and rebooted

Lightroom is reading a a few from the previews folders

For all I know this is absolutely normal, but since I'm just sitting in the grid view, and not doing a loupe view of anything, and the thumbnails are already visible, what's with all the umpteen files being read by the kernel?  I presume Lightroom is telling it to read 'em, but why?

And since the reads appear to be by far mostly coming from the catalog previews, which are on the SSD is it even an issue?  Watching the monitor it never gets above 3% busy so I'm not sure it matters but I'm not sure what else to even look at...

• 19. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

I'm afraid I can't be of much further help because I don't use DNG  format files, don't save metadata to files, and don't delete files from outside LR. This may be a part of the problem, which is why I can't duplicate it on my system. Are you going back and "removing" all of the orphaned files (! icon) that were renamed from outside LR after synchronizing and reimporting the renamed files? Have you tried a different mouse?

Search this forum with something like 'slow scrolling'

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?facet=content&q=slow+scrolling&sort=relevanceDesc&pla ce=%2Fplaces%2F1383621

I just checked the above search and quickly found one of my previous posts with a solution for "slow scrolling." Give it a try:

is there a way to speed up thumbs library scrolling?

• 20. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

I think this will fix your issue.

Changed my Metadata panel setting from 'Default' to 'EXIF and IPTC' and can confirm the slow scrolling just as you describe:

DavePinMinn wrote:

I'm currently in LR, moving around a folder, NOT changing anything, just selecting an image, then using the mouse wheel to scroll a few dozen images, then doing a shift/click to select that section of images, scrolling again, shift/click, and repeat.  There's a significant lag.  I have the resource monitor running...

When I tried changing it from 'EXIF and IPTC' back to 'Default' the slow scrolling persists. Set it to 'Default.' It is important that you close and restart LR for it to take affect after changing the Metadata panel settings. Not sure why?

• 21. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                                                  DavePinMinn Level 1

Thanks for all your help.........  I'll take a look at the other topic, but today's been a nightmare in Lightroom...

To take ALL those other things OUT OF THE EQUATION (.dng, files, updating images outside, and all that) I SWITCHED to a totally different database.  These are event images.  There are FEWER than 10,000 images in the catalog, collected over the last 5 years.  Approximately 65% - almost two-thirds -  are taken with the D300, so they're small (12 megapixel).  The rest with a D800 or D810.

There are NO .dng files.  They're all camera RAW (.NEF) files.  There hasn't been ANYTHING done to them outside Lightroom since the day they were taken - which was while the camera was TETHERED so they went directly into Lightroom.

The catalog has been backed up and optimized.

There are only a few dozen keywords.

There are only a few collections, mostly the collection set I created today.

Keywords are generally applied when capturing, and VERY FEW additional keywords - typically TWO (age and breed) - are added later

This is the FIRST TIME I've been in this catalog since going from LR 6.1 to 6.3 (I missed the whole 6.2 debacle since I was traveling)...  I believe that on this system, 6.1 did NOT exhibit this behavior - and given the horrid performance I suspect I'd have remembered.

I've done the same things in here that we've done with the other catalog...  I've been working with this catalog for about 3 hours today and performance has been ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS...

Since I'm going through a bunch of images and putting them in a collection, I had to bring up a folder, and make selections in the grid view, then add them to the collection.  The first selection was quick.  The second wasn't bad.  The THIRD image selected too a MINIMUM of 3-4 seconds.  If scrolling was involved after the first selection it took even LONGER to get the grid to scroll even one line so I could continue selecting.  Subsequent selections would again lag.  To add the images to the collection took seconds, first to get the cursor to the collection, then to get the context menu to pop up.

In MANY cases, if I scrolled the cursor, while I was waiting for the grid to shift and the cursor to become active, Lightroom would actually blink off then back on, repainting the screen.  Again, several seconds, sometimes more than once.

On several occasions I attempted to edit an image in Develop.  This was EXTREMELY slow - Pressing "D" would actually display the spinning cursor for several seconds before switching to the Develop screen.

I've been using Lightroom with this system since December 2014 (Win 8.1 originally, 10 since it became available), so at a minimum I've had Lightroom 5.? whatever version that was up through 5.7.1, and 6.0 - 6.3.  I have no idea what's going on, but I've never seen this system this unusably slow.

In desperation, I did what you recommended and changed the metadata panel from EXIF and IPTC to default.  Made no appreciable difference.  Shut down Lightroom and restarted, and it APPEARS to be better, but I've thought that before and found that after a few minutes it returns to it's former wretched performance...  I've got several hours ahead of me, so I'll see what happens this evening...

Worst case, I'll put one of my cameras on a tripod and videotape the screen,showing the god-awful lag times, but HOPEFULLY things will improve...  The other thing I thought of was to either REPLACE 2015.3 with .0 or .1, OR install 2015.0 or .1 in parallel and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

• 22. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

DavePinMinn wrote:

The other thing I thought of was to either REPLACE 2015.3 with .0 or .1, OR install 2015.0 or .1 in parallel and see what happens.

LR CC 2015.1.1 is the most stable version prior to CC 2015.3, but I'm not having any issues with .3 on Windows 7. As a test you may want to try working with the Metadata panel completely closed. Right click on any Develop panel header and uncheck 'Metadata.'

• 23. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish
                                                      DavePinMinn Level 1

I THINK we've finally got it!

In the days since my last post I've been in two of my catalogs, doing a LOT of rummaging, editing, flailing around and doing general Lightroom/Photoshop stuff.  I've had the metadata panel set to default on one catalog, and totally off on the other, and BOTH seem to work fine.  It's difficult to describe unless it's happened on your system, but so far the difference is DRASTIC.  Presuming it continues, Lightroom, although it's not and never will be "snappy", is now behaving far better than it was - even on the 36 megapixel images...

As usual, 10 days to FIND what's wrong, and 10 seconds to fix!

Thanks again for the help.

• 24. Re: LR 2015.3 feels generally sluggish

DavePinMinn wrote:

As usual, 10 days to FIND what's wrong, and 10 seconds to fix!

I think you had at least three issues contributing to the Library Grid selection and scrolling lag: 1) Preview Cache database fragmentation, 2) Standard Previews not being manually updated after editing, and 3) Metadata panel setting. Good to hear that it now seems to be resolved!