14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 7:30 PM by A.T. Romano

The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices

trex3648

I just purchased the Premier Elements 14 and trying to add video from my Canon Video Camera.  The application does not see the camera.  However, when I go to devices on my computer, I see the camera.

• 2. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
          A.T. Romano Level 7

trex3648

What are you trying to do - HDV capture firewire into a Premiere Elements 14 capture window? If so, please know that the DV and HDV capture firewire feature was removed from Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14. The last version that has this feature is Premiere Elements 12/12.1. Please refer to the Adobe document on the subject and Adobe suggested workarounds.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

What is your computer operating system?

If Windows, you might was to explore the following programs for a firewire capture and then bringing the split clips into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders.

WinDV  WinDV

HDVSplit   http://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit

If Mac, have you looked at iMovie for the capture HDV?

Please consider, give more details, and then let us know if the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
            trex3648 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. The answers  to you questions are yes i am trying  to capture.  Windows 10 is the operating system.  I was able to solve this bu installing the Microsoft Media Package upgrade for Windows 10 which included Windows Essentials 2012. I was able to capture the video on the tape into an AVI file and then add to Premier Elements 14.

• 4. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
              A.T. Romano Level 7

trex3648

Thanks for the update with the wonderful news that you have found a way to do your captures that could then be imported in Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders.

Was it Movie Maker 2012 in the Microsoft package that did the capture firewire? Some of the programs give you DV AVI type 1 instead of type 2 which Premiere Elements supports.  Consequently, if any problems with the DV AVI captures, please let me know, and I can tell you how to convert them to type 2.

But, all is well from your report. So that is great.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                trex3648 Level 1

It is Movie Maker in Windows Essentials 12.  I don't know what type.  How can I find that out.  Is type 2 better than type 1?

• 6. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

trex3648

Thanks for the follow up.

A free GSpot codec utility should show that type 1 or type 2 in the Container part of its dialog.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

You can convert from Type 1 to Type 2 using the free DVDate software.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

If you need any help with the above, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will supply supplemental details as indicated.

ATR

• 7. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                    trex3648 Level 1

HDVSplit did not recognize camera.  But Movie Maker does so we good.  Movie Maker imports to Type 1.  I downloaded suggested softeware to convert. Thank you for the links I have another problem; but maybe I should start a new post for that.  I am getting a transcoding error when burning to CD.

Thanks for your assistance.

• 8. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

trex3748

Thanks for the good news of progress.

Premiere Elements cannot use a CD disc in its burn to process. Do you mean that you are using a DVD disc? If you are using a DVD disc, have you tried to use another disc?

When you do your burn to disc, are you doing burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Did you apply movie menu to your project? If you did, did you use Timeline Stop Markers? If yes and you put one at the end of the last file on the Timeline, please remove that Stop Marker, and try the burn to disc again.

If you do the burn to ISO Image (4.7 GB) instead of burn to disc, do you get the transcoding error?

Let us start here, and then decide what next based on the details of your reply. If any questions about the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                        trex3648 Level 1

DVDate does not seem to be working.  At the most I can only get it to convert about 12 % of the hour long video.  Any suggestions?

• 10. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                          trex3648 Level 1

Yes I am trying to burn to a DVD. I have not tried another disc yet but will try that next.Yes, I am burning to DVD-Video on DVD disc. I do apply Movie Menu.  I am not using Timeline stop markers. I am able to burn to ISO (4.7 gb) with receiving a transcoding error.

• 11. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

trex

Do you have any shorter duration DV AVI type 1 files? If so, try to put them through the DVDate conversion to determine if file size is a factor. I do not recall any file size limits, but worthwhile checking that out.

When you wrote

I am able to burn to ISO (4.7 gb) with receiving a transcoding error

Did you mean without receiving a transcoding error?

Please remind me, what are the reading for Space Required and Bitrate just before you hit the Burn button? With check mark next to Fit Contents to Available Space.

If you are in a time crunch, do you want to take the .iso file to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc using ImgBurn? I will go through a step by step on that if interested.

ATR

• 12. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

trex

Add On question about DVDate....

1. Is the Type 1 to Type 2 conversion, failing (giving an error message) at that 12% mark or is the conversion just taking a long time to complete?

2. If you wait longer, will the conversion go to completion with that hour long DV.avi Type 1?

ATR

• 13. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                                trex3648 Level 1

A.T.,

Sorry for the delay response.

In regards to Burning DVD:

1. I successfully created an ISO.

2. Burned that ISO to Disk successfully; however, it would not play on my DVD player (I have a Blue Ray built into the TV but it is suppose to play regular DVD's).

3. Burned to Disc using AVCHDV successfully and was able to play on Blue Ray player in TV.  However, when I added a printed label it would not work.  I also notice that, after I removed the label and cleaned disc, it would not work in Blue Ray player.  I put in a Blue Ray movie disc which worked and then put in the AVCHDV and it worked.  This anomaly could my my Blue Ray player but not sure.

4. I then created a new project and burned to disc using DVD 720 x 480 SD.  That seemed to of worked.

5. On all of the above, I set my camera to output to HDV with HD conversion on and letterbox off.  Where as the first time it was set to AV to DV conversion and HD conversion off. This might of been the transcoding issue but not sure.

In regards to DVDate:

1. The failure is not giving an error.

2. It does not matter how long I wait.

3. It successfully converted a 1 min file.

4. It failed to convert a 22 min file.

5. It seems that it will get to a certain point and save the file to Type 2 but only a portion of it.  For example, I tried a 58 min long file and it saved only 17 mins to Type 2.

Thanks for your continued support.

• 14. Re: The application cannot see my Video camera but I see in in devices
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

trex3648

Thanks for the follow up details.

1. The history of paper label on disc goes back a long way. The message is do not do it. This older reference goes back a while but the information is still relevant.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/2159-never-sticky-label.html

I have used paper labels with issue. But, it can be risky business.

2. With your Blu-ray player that will not playback DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, have you double checked the player settings and player specifications? Can you play these same DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in a regular DVD player?

3. There has typically been discussion on whether or not to down convert the HDV to SD in the camera or just use the HDV data recorded. I do not recall that there is conclusive evidence that one way or the other results in a better end product on the disc going for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

4. If you can import and use DV AVI type 1 in Premiere Elements without issue, then do not bother with the type 1 to 2 converter. But, if problems with Premiere Elements and DV AVI type 1 and you need to convert to type 2 for Premiere Elements, then consider the alternatives to DV Date found toward the bottom of the following

DVdate 7.1.1

Please consider, and determine if you can put together a consistently working workflow from your explorations and experimentation.

We can discuss each of the above further.

ATR