3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 9:20 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I fix a timeline delay when mixing avchd +mp4?

dj16471259

Recently upgraded to PE14, imported video into timeline from a camera (AVCHD) + video from a screen capture (mp4). Screen capture video plays fine outside PE, but on timeline there is a delay between slides during playback or export - when I scrub or clip on another place in the timeline, the correct slide shows up, only lags when played back.  (Rendering doesn't help). I'm on a Win 64bit PC. Thanks for your help, dj

• 1. Re: How do I fix a timeline delay when mixing avchd +mp4?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dj

Premiere Elements 14 Windows 7 64 bit.

Video recorded with screen capture programs is often characterized by variable frame rate rather than constant frame rate. Premiere Elements (many versions) does not fare well with that kind of frame rate. The typical fix is to take the video into the free HandBrake program to obtain the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version. The Premiere Elements symptoms for this problem range from Timeline audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. You import the HandBrake H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements' Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline tracks.

The proof of the variable frame rate condition is from the MediaInfo video properties readout where you will see 3 frames rates if the video was recorded with a variable frame rate....minimum frame rate, frame rate, and maximum frame rate.

What you could do before the above is what I call "forced rendering". In the Expert workspace, right click the Timeline file. Select Time Stretch. In the Time Stretch dialog, set the Speed % = 99. Then render the Timeline file which at that point has an orange line over it.

Please consider, and, as your schedule permits, let us know the outcome. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask. Information on the individual properties of the two video formats and the project settings are also important.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I fix a timeline delay when mixing avchd +mp4?
            dj16471259 Level 1

OK, Handbrake did help.  Video still lagging behind - but closer to real time.

thanks for your help, dj

• 3. Re: How do I fix a timeline delay when mixing avchd +mp4?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

dj

Thanks for the update.

If you do a mini test export, do you obtain the lag in the export as well as in the previewing?

ATR