10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 1:32 PM by keg415

lightroom catalog network drive

Julien-NL Level 1

Hi Guys,

we have a cloud infrastructuur using VMware ESXI .

On our windows 10 VM running Lightroom. we tried to map the catalogues on the network drive over 10GB NICS.

when we open lightroom it comes back with error can't find the location \\server\networkdrive

we tried everything but cant get it to work.

any suggestions how to get this to work ?

• 1. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Julien-NL,

Please refer the below article on the same.

Check the Question " Can I store a catalog on a network"

Photoshop Lightroom catalog FAQ

Hope that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom does not allow the catalog to be on a network drive. This is to help prevent multiple users from attempting to use the catalog at the same time.

You could put the catalog on an external drive, if that helps you.

The pictures can be on a network drive with no problem.

• 3. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
              slgooding Level 1

I FINALLY figured out how to store a catalog on a network drive on Windows (I'm using Windows 10)!

You need the following software: http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html

Here are the steps:

1. Create a drive letter mapping to the network share. This is necessary to make the share visible to the Visual Subst software.
              2. Download and extract Visual-Subst (http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html)
              3. Run Visual Subst and click on the magnifying glass on the bottom right. Browse to the network mapped folder (or a folder above it) that you want to store your catalog in.
              4. Select a drive letter to associate with the folder and click the "PLUS" button.
              5. The drive will show up in Visual Subst and is now accessible as a catalog storage location in Lightroom. In Lightroom you simply select a folder on the drive that is mapped using Visual Subst.

ENJOY!

• 4. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

For others who might read this, best to read this warning before trying workarounds for placing catalogs on network drives: Lightroom: Multi-User / Multi Computer (Shared catalog on a network) | Photoshop Family Customer Community. Make sure you have reliable (tested) backups!

• 5. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                  keg415

I used a SUBST drive letter to access lightroom catalogs stored on a ReadyNAS for over five years without problems.  However, after replacing the ReadyNAS with a QNAP NAS recently, lightroom began to fail intermittently with "Lightroom encountered an error when reading a catalog file and needs to quit" and "Lightroom encountered and error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit" messages.  I've not been able to determine the cause.  So now I'm using FreeFileSync to sync catalogs between the NAS and local storage before/after running lightroom, which is done by a shortcut with the target:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%AppData%\FreeFileSync\Config\lightroom.ffs_batch" && "%ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe" & "%AppData%\FreeFileSync\Config\lightroom.ffs_batch""

• 6. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It might appear that everything is functioning just fine.. But be aware that Lightroom uses SQL technology to drive the catalog, and Lightroom isn't  designed for multiuser file locking. So if Lightroomis functioning the way you expect it to, that's fine. But you have no recourse if things go wrong. I think you are  running your own risk. Only you can decide whether it's worth taking that risk.

• 7. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                      keg415 Level 1

JimHess wrote:

It might appear that everything is functioning just fine.. But be aware that Lightroom uses SQL technology to drive the catalog, and Lightroom isn't designed for multiuser file locking. So if Lightroomis functioning the way you expect it to, that's fine. But you have no recourse if things go wrong. I think you are running your own risk. Only you can decide whether it's worth taking that risk.

Understood.  But this isn't a multi-user situation: only one instance of lightroom is accessing the catalog at a time, and lightroom creates a .lock file in the catalog folder to prevent concurrent access by a second instance.

What may be happening is that if lightroom is multi-threaded and/or forks subtasks, locking problems among these could cause errors even with only a single user/instance.

• 8. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                        What may be happening is that if lightroom is multi-threaded and/or forks subtasks, locking problems among these could cause errors even with only a single user/instance.

That's exactly right.  SQLite depends on operating-system file locking, which doesn't always work properly with network drives, and LR does use multiple concurrent threads.   Many years ago an Adobe engineer tested LR on a corporate network drive and observed catalog corruption, so Adobe coded LR to prevent catalogs from being accessed on network drives.   There's a thread in the official feedback forum discussing this, I think, but I can't find it at the moment: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community

. The SQLite web site also has a technical article about the issue.

• 9. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                          one1cat

so my take on it....

freenas with 8tb raid-z config.  4 tb usable.  create share and map a network drive.

create new catalog inside the share.  when import pictures copy/move files to network drive.  works great!!!

BAM!!!!

• 10. Re: lightroom catalog network drive
                            keg415 Level 1

keg415  wrote

I used a SUBST drive letter to access lightroom catalogs stored on a ReadyNAS for over five years without problems.  However, after replacing the ReadyNAS with a QNAP NAS recently, lightroom began to fail intermittently with "Lightroom encountered an error when reading a catalog file and needs to quit" and "Lightroom encountered and error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit" messages.  I've not been able to determine the cause.  So now I'm using FreeFileSync to sync catalogs between the NAS and local storage before/after running lightroom, which is done by a shortcut with the target:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%AppData%\FreeFileSync\Config\lightroom.ffs_batch" && "%ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe" & "%AppData%\FreeFileSync\Config\lightroom.ffs_batch""

It appears that QNAP fixed SMB in QTS 4.3.  I've been running LR6 with catalogs on the NAS for 6 months without problems.  I've posted the scripts I use to manage this here: GitHub - kgorlen/lightroom: Windows bat and documentation for storing lightroom catalogs on NAS

According to SMB and SQLite specs, this is intended to work, so problems are the result of hardware failures and/or software bugs.  Since accessing a network drive involves more of both than when accessing an internal or external drive, the risk of catalog corruption is greater.

Adobe could improve LR by (1) providing/hosting a list of compatible NAS products, and (2) allowing previews to be stored separately from catalogs so they could reside on a local drive with catalogs on a network drive.