3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 5:22 PM by Rick Gerard

How i can export a video in AE with Roto brush effect?

Brystal

I want my exported video to have the same effect like using photoshop pen tool and saving the file as .psd so i can put my Roto brush video on anything i want without any black borders. Overall i want to cut an object out of my video clip using Roto Brush tool in AE and to get this video in premiere pro track.
      However, i used Adobe CC so i imported this videoclip from AE into PR successfully but my premiere pro project turned very laggy and render time was too long.
      Now i want to export my video from AE with Roto Brush effect. What kind of video file i should choose to Render my video while having roto brush effect on it. So i can put it on my premiere track while everything is cut.
      I used Roto Brush tool and exported my video as Quicktime but this video clip has black borders and no Roto Brush effect on it.
      How i should export?

Can somebody help please?
      Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: How i can export a video in AE with Roto brush effect?
          imeilfx Adobe Community Professional

Long story short - you wanna to export video file or frame sequention with alpha channel (transparency) - is that correct.
          If that is the case to do that you should use a file format/codec that support alpha channel. To do that you have to:
          1. Go to export settings
          2. Chose format Quick Time, AVI or frame sequence f.eg. tiff or png

3. If you chose avi or mov you chave to chose codec that support transparency:

- for AVI - lagarith(free and quite good), or without compression (huge file size) or other
          - for QT - Animation, uncompressed, or other third party like DNxHD, DXV - but those two are lossy so not the best for intermediate file

4. Most impoortant: In Channels chose RGB + Alpha - if you can't do that it means that you have chosen codec that doesn't support aplha channel.
          5. Render.

• 2. Re: How i can export a video in AE with Roto brush effect?
            Brystal Level 1

It's correct!
            Thank you so much for your help!
            Very good introductions!
            Much love!

• 3. Re: How i can export a video in AE with Roto brush effect?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Output Module has a preset for Lossless with Alpha.

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 5.21.40 PM.png

The only thing you should change is that you should set the alpha channel to Straight Alpha. I don't know why it isn't the default. I know of no NLE in my more than 20 years of editing on a computer that uses Pre-multiplied Alphas by default.

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 5.20.13 PM.png