1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2016 1:10 PM by EllisElkins

is it possible to change the "skip frames" defaults when previewing

jeffbottom Level 1

the default 'skip frames' options when previewing (in CC14) are 0, 1, 2, and 5.

it would be very helpful to have other options but I can't find anywhere to change ?

had a look in the prefs file but no joy.

any ideas ?

../jl

• 1. Re: is it possible to change the "skip frames" defaults when previewing
          EllisElkins Level 1

I would love the same thing. I would like to change the defaults to 0, 1, 3, 7.

The reason for these numbers is to maximize efficiency of test renders. Here's how:

Render 100 frame skip 2 then skip 1

Skip 2 render of 100 frames will render 34 frames.

Skip 1 done after this will render 33 more frames. 17 of the skip 1 frames will already have been rendered by skip 2, but there are additional frames between the skip 1 frames.

TOTAL 67 FRAMES were rendered and playback is between skip 0 and skip 1.

Render 100 frame skip 3 then skip 1

Skip 3 render of 100 frames will render 25 frames.

Skip 1 done after this will render 25 more frames. Half of the skip 1 frames will already have been rendered by skip 3 since the gaps line up.

TOTAL 50 FRAMES were rendered and playback is precisely skip 1.

Using skip 7 for 100 frames will render 12 frames. If skip 3 is used after it then it will line up with these skip 7 frames and render an additional 13 frames and playback will be precisely skip 3.

The reason this works out is because skip 1 renders every 2nd frame, skip 3 renders every 4th frame, skip 7 renders every 8th frame. So all of the gaps are double the previous option. Skip 5 (every 6th frame) is double skip 2 (every 3rd frame), but skip 2 isn't double skip 1 (every 2nd frame).

I think this should be the after effects default set of skip frame options, but just having the ability to change this in my copy of After Effects would be great.