8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 1:43 PM by trshaner

How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?

frankhutch

I have approximately 4500 JPG images of a reasonably high quality in my catalog.  Each one has a corresponding TIFF image on an external hard drive.  Years ago, when I started cataloging them, I did not import the TIFF images because they were too large.  Now that hard drives are larger, I would like to import the TIFF images and associate them with their corresponding JPG Counterpart.  How can I do this?  Or will this make my catalog way too large, slow, and cumbersome?  The problem is that the JPG images have in many cases been moved around and re-named so the association is not readily available, other than through the fact they are identical as far as image content.

• 1. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
          dj_paige Level 9

First of all, size of the drive doesn't matter to Lightroom. The JPGs can be on one drive and the TIFs on a different drive and everything will work fine.

Next, the photos are not stored in the catalog itself, so no it will not make the catalog too large. In fact, there is no known limit on the size of catalogs.

If you import the TIF files, you might be able to stack the photos by capture date and time. There is a command in the Library module to do this: Photo > Stacking> Auto Stack by Capture Time.

But that's not really a "synch" which you asked for, and I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by "synch" in this context.

• 2. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
            frankhutch Level 1

Thanks.  The trouble is that the TIFF files are actually scans of my older 35mm negatives, and the JPGs were created after the TIFF was scanned.  So there is no correlation between scan time and image, or capture time.  With respect to the size question, I have noticed that my general response is slower now (with around 35,000 images in my catalog) than it was when I started.  My concern is that effectively adding another 4500 might slow things down even more.  What I want is for the various tags associated with the JPGs to be associated with the TIFF files.  If I do a search for "dog" and get a JPG of my dog, I would like an easy way to find the TIFF that relates to it, given that the name, capture time, and folder are unrelated right now.

• 3. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
              dj_paige Level 9

With respect to the size question, I have noticed that my general response is slower now (with around 35,000 images in my catalog) than it was when I started.

There are probably two dozen reasons for Lightroom being slower, and catalog size is not one of them.

The trouble is that the TIFF files are actually scans of my older 35mm negatives, and the JPGs were created after the TIFF was scanned. What I want is for the various tags associated with the JPGs to be associated with the TIFF files.  If I do a search for "dog" and get a JPG of my dog, I would like an easy way to find the TIFF that relates to it, given that the name, capture time, and folder are unrelated right now. 

If the JPG and TIF have different capture date/time, and if they have different file names, then I am not aware of any way to cause this to happen automatically. But are you sure that creating a JPG after the TIFF was scanned causes a different capture time on the JPG? I have never looked into this, so I don't really know if they would be different or not, can you check?

• 4. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
                frankhutch Level 1

Yes, the JPG and TIFF files have different capture times.  The TIFFs all have a capture time of the time they were scanned in, and the JPGs have a capture time of when the file was created by the Tiff to JPG conversion.  I was hoping that the same technology that permits facial recognition might be able to determine that two different size (or type) files of the same image are, in fact, the same.

• 5. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Then I doubt you will be able to perform this type of "synch" if the capture dates are different and the file names are different.

• 6. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

frankhutch wrote:

Yes, the JPG and TIFF files have different capture times.  The TIFFs all have a capture time of the time they were scanned in, and the JPGs have a capture time of when the file was created by the Tiff to JPG conversion.  I was hoping that the same technology that permits facial recognition might be able to determine that two different size (or type) files of the same image are, in fact, the same.

What application did you use to convert the TIFFs to JPEGs? Both PS and LR retain the original capture date and time (CreateDate) when converting and saving to JPEG.

Try the following. In the LR Library module select one of the JPEGs created from the scanner TIFF file. In the right side panel scroll down to Metadata and select 'EXIF and IPTC.'

Next scroll down a little further to 'Date Time Original' and 'Date Time.' What dates do you see...the same or different?

Here's an example TIFF created on 2009_08_06 converted to JPEG using PS CC 2015 today.

• 7. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
                      frankhutch Level 1

I just checked and the dates are different.  You have to remember, the TIFFs were created by someone else for me, scanned in from negatives over a period of about 6 months.  The JPGs were created by me, as needed and it batches over the next few years, using a variety of conversion tools--none of which was Lightroom or Photoshop.  I was, in essence, trying to use the JPGs as "smart previews" for tagging and cataloging my collection before such concepts were widely used, and certainly before the software to do so existed.  So the only way to associate them now is through the contents.  I had hoped that by now that functionality would exist in lightroom--face matching (essentially the same thing) exists in most software now.  I guess I'll just have to wait a few versions more.  :-)

• 8. Re: How can I synch multiple file types of the same image?
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

frankhutch wrote:

I just checked and the dates are different. 

If the dates are different then it's very possible the original capture date (Date Time Original) is still correct. Is there any reason why you think otherwise? Did you try finding a matching TIFF and compare it's dates in LR the same way to confirm? Don't assume anything until you've compared a number of TIFF/JPEG pairs to see if you can link them using EXIF or IPTC data fields. How about keywords? Did the TIFFs have any keywords added that may have carried over to the JPEG file? The LR Filter bar is very versatile and there are plugins available to take extend the search capability to other data fields. As

frankhutch wrote:

So the only way to associate them now is through the contents.  I had hoped that by now that functionality would exist in lightroom--face matching (essentially the same thing) exists in most software now.  I guess I'll just have to wait a few versions more.  :-)

You can certainly use it to find mates for image files with a good facial image. Don't hold your breath for Adobe to take it beyond matching faces...it's not likely to happen. While you're waiting give my suggestions a try you may be pleasantly surprised. BTW- I've been scanning film images for over 15 years and currently use a scannerless workflow:

https://luminous-landscape.com/scannerless-digital-capture-and-processing-of-negative-film -photographs/