8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 9:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements 14 audio gain control

rogerl26227734

Programme crashes during immediate playback when volume is adjusted or a fade introduced via right click in audio 1 timeline.  Can overcome for volume via audio gain in clip menu and by using crossfade transition for fade, but the former, in particular, takes longer. A track in the music timeline can be adjusted without any problem.  Also, a project edited in Elements 10 and opened in 14 does not have the problem.

What is the reason and solution?

• 1. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will not be able to open a version 10 project in version 14. Premiere Elements isn't backwards compatible that far back. In fact, if you are able to open a version 10 project in version 14, it will likely have a number of corruptions, including behavior like you're describing.

Are you have problems creating Fade Ins/Outs in a project that was created in version 14?

If so, what operating system are you on?

And what model of camcorder is your video coming from? Since the issue is limited to video from a camcorder, it could well be the format or codec of your video that's causing the problem.

• 2. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
            A.T. Romano Level 7

roger

As I read your thread description,  I see no mention that your issues are related to you trying to open Premiere Elements 10 project files in Premiere Elements 14. Or, for that matter a Premiere Elements 14 project file in Premiere Elements 10 (typically considered backward compatibility).

1. I have found that I can open a Premiere Elements 10 project file in Premiere Elements 14. You have been there and done that successfully when you wrote.

Also, a project edited in Elements 10 and opened in 14 does not have the problem.

The point that you are making appears to be audio issues in 14 that you do not have in 13/13.1

All that being said, why the audio problems in Premiere Elements 14?

At this point, I do not believe it is a universal 14 bug. I have repeated the workflow that you describe and all works without problems.

I have looked a Stereo and 5.1 channel in this situation. Done some comparative tests with 10 and 14 - audio fades, gain adjusts, volume adjusts....

Besides the questions still awaiting answers (source media properties, project preset, operating system, audio card .....), have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet from an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. A description of 14.1 can be found

Adobe Premiere Elements 14.1 update | Adobe Content Corner

Have you checked the ASIO settings under Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware?

The answers will be in the details in trying to figure out why volume and fades need to be replaced in your 14 by

Can overcome for volume via audio gain in clip menu and by using crossfade transition for fade

Just some thoughts to corporate into the questions already in progress.

ATR

• 3. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
              rogerl26227734

Thanks but I have opened a version 10 project in version 14 and do not get this problem.

Yes, the problem is in a project created in version 14.

I am operating in Windows 10 and my camcorder is a Panasonic HC-X920.

• 4. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This camcorder shoots in a variety of modes, including 3D.

Can you confirm that your video is being shot at 1920x1080 AVCHD and that your audio is set to Dolby Digital and not iFrame AAC.

• 5. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
                  rogerl26227734 Level 1

Thanks for further responses.  In answer to questions, video was shot at 1920x1080 (1080/50p) and audio is Dolby Digital 5.1ch.  Regarding ASIO settings, there is a box for 'Enable speakers' which is ticked and there are tick boxes for 'Realtek Digital output' which are not ticked.  What should settings be?  After many years of editing in previous versions of Premiere Elements without problems I have never looked at these settings.

I have not updated to 14.1, having only recently purchased 14 but would this help?  I would be reluctant to change at the moment as I am part way through an edit.

• 6. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

rogerl

The details of the 14.1 Update have been put online. Before downloading and installing it, please check out the details.

http://blogs.adobe.com/contentcorner/2015/12/18/adobe-premiere-elements-14-1-update/

I would agree with you to postpone using this 14.1 Update so that you do not introduce another variable into the mix at this time.

Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO, there is an Input and Output Tab. In my case

Input - check mark for Microphone (Realtek)

Output - Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio).

You say that your audio is characterized by 5.1 channel.

As a mini test, open a new project and manual set the project preset to one described for 5.1 channel.

In your case,

File Menu/New/Project Change Settings.

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD Full HD1080i 25 5.1 channel

Then import your video with its 5.1 channel audio and determine if your issues with the audio still exist.

If no crashes, we will explain further.

Any questions about the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
                      rogerl26227734 Level 1

Thank you very much.  That seems to have worked, no crashes now.

Roger

• 8. Re: Elements 14 audio gain control
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roger

Wonderful news. Thanks for exploring the troubleshooting suggestion. Great job of follow through to gain your success.

You can create your own project preset described for 5.1 channel if the ones given by Adobe are not the "right fit".

The how to for that can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Exporting a 1080p25 or 1080p30 file with 5.1 Channel Audio

and

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Exporting a 1080p50 or 1080p60 file with 5.1 Channel Audio

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR