6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 8:07 AM by Warunicorn

Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check

Yammer Level 4

I can't remember when it was -- maybe since jumping to ACR 9 -- but I wonder if the automatic chromatic aberration correction isn't as good as it used to be. Has anyone else thought this?

I always struggled to get a proper symmetrical fix when CA correction was manual, but the automatic correction was absolutely fantastic. I was amazed how much more accurate it was, right the way across the image. But, in recent months, I've noticed more fringing on my photos that I got used to.

Just wondering if it's me, or maybe something's changed under the bonnet.

• 1. Re: Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check
          Yammer Level 4

No response? Maybe I should have asked why I can't open my D500 photos in CS5.

• 2. Re: Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check
            Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Yammer wrote:

No response? Maybe I should have asked why I can't open my D500 photos in CS5.

This forum isn't as crowded as, say, the Photoshop forum. It takes a little bit.

Anyway, wasn't automatic chromatic aberration correction more or less based on a specific RAW from a specific vendor (like lens corrections)? I know that Fuji's RAWs were improved with chromatic aberration removal.

Or maybe you're suffering from the equivalent of "listener's fatigue," where an audio engineer's ears become biased from listening to the same material over and over again, but instead of audio it's images. 

• 3. Re: Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check
              adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

Would you like to submit a raw file so we can evaluate? You can send a link of your dropbox to aohlmeye@adobe.com Thanks!

• 4. Re: Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check

Recent trip to Concord. Note the aberration going on in the trees in the upper left. Before:

ca.jpg

After:

no-ca.jpg

• 5. Re: Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check
                  Yammer Level 4

Warunicorn wrote:

This forum isn't as crowded as, say, the Photoshop forum. It takes a little bit.

Anyway, wasn't automatic chromatic aberration correction more or less based on a specific RAW from a specific vendor (like lens corrections)? I know that Fuji's RAWs were improved with chromatic aberration removal.

Or maybe you're suffering from the equivalent of "listener's fatigue," where an audio engineer's ears become biased from listening to the same material over and over again, but instead of audio it's images. 

I used to use this forum a lot, but I haven't got much out of it in the last few months, so I contribute a lot less than I used to. It seems to be the same questions over and over, and the Jive interface is dreadful. But anyway...

You could be right about fatigue. One possibility is that I'm using different lenses these days, and ACR isn't as good at fixing some lenses than others. Presumably you can get uneven CA from centre to edge, and maybe this is what I'm seeing. Certainly, when manual correction was first introduced, I noticed that some lenses had slightly asymmetrical CA, with the centre of the aberration being offset from the centre of the image. Auto CA correction fixed that nicely.

When people first replied, I looked for an example file, but I couldn't find one! The next time I have a big raw session and I find some examples, I'll Dropbox them here for testing. Unfortunately, since jumping from CS6 to CC2015, it's not as easy to fall back to old versions of ACR for comparison.

• 6. Re: Chromatic Aberration correction: sanity check

My eternal favorite is "I bought a new camera; Camera Raw why u no work with its RAWs?"     I'm beginning to think we could fill a book with all the forum posts about it.

Let me know via PM (or email) if you get around to Dropboxing them. I might miss it otherwise.