8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 1:36 AM by Test Screen Name

How do I unsecure my forms?

christopnerb67980492

I am using Acrobat 9 pro and all of a sudden all of my forms are (Secured).  I did not do this and have never set a password so I cannot  add or delete pages to any form.  This appears to have started after a Windows 7 update.  How do I set my security settings to unsecure my forms?

• 1. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

What does it say for "Security method" in the security properties? Is there any special note at the bottom of the dialog?

• 2. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?
            christopnerb67980492 Level 1

It says "Encrypt with Password".  I have never been asked to do this before.

• 3. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?

Are we looking at the same place?

File > Properties

Security tab

I don't ever see the words "encrypt with password".

• 4. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?

Sorry, I was looking at Advanced>Security.  Under Properties, it says "Password Security"  It will not allow me to change it because of some connection with Adobe Reader.  I've tried the "save a copy" route with no luck.  It looks to me like Adobe has found a way to force me to pay the $14.99 per month to do what my program has been doing for free for years.

• 5. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?

Ok, if it says password security, then the form is indeed secured. And should always have been so. And you should never have been able to delete pages.

Are these old PDF files from before, or are they new ones, from a bank or system or something? It could be that they have changed how they make their PDF files, and it just coincided with your Windows update.

Not sure what you mean by the $14.99 a month option. Adobe make NO software that will delete pages from a protected file, without removing the security using the password. Not for any price.

• 6. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?

Hmm, you say "I've tried the "save a copy" route " - is there some message about that?

Did you sign the files?

Did you extend them for use with Reader?

What does " It will not allow me to change it because of some connection with Adobe Reader. " mean?

• 7. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?

Ok, the forms that I have been working with today are not protected or encrypted.  They are free to use and are posted by the State of California for use in the court system.  I have been using them for 15 years and never had a problem with them.  The forms are intended to be mixed and matched. 

The form I started with today was one us used 2 months ago to file a case in court.  At that time I was able to add and delete pages, re-order pages and create a unique document for filing.  All of a sudden, that form was protected.  I then downloaded new forms from the site only to have those forms read as protected as well.  I went to an older computer and was met with the same result.  I tried to manipulate pdf files I created previously that I know were not protected, they were protected as well.  I converted a Word document to a pdf and it came out protected.

I am using a full version of Adobe Acrobat.  It is not a "Reader".  The program I have allowed me to add and subtract pages, re-order pages, create pdf files from word documents, create fallible forms etc. Adobe Reader XI is the new program from Adobe that performs the same functions so long as you pay a monthly subscription fee of $14.99.

The reference to "Save a Copy" comes from the dialog box that pops up when I try to change the security method in the properties section.  I do not electronically sign filings, I did not extend them for use in Reader as my program already does all of what any Reader will do.

• 8. Re: How do I unsecure my forms?

Please post a link to one of these forms, we can check if it is protected. We could search but California will have lots of forms.

The form also sounds as if it is Reader enabled by the State of California. This will lock out certain actions in all recent versions of Acrobat, but not in very old versions.