Adobe applications and a MAc Mini early 2009

sebdea Level 1

Hi there,

I have a Mac Mini early 2009 with following specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz

6 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

OS X 10.11.1

I am mostly working with Adobe CC2015: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop applications. Mostly 2D design. From what I know, for my work the RAM is important as well as the HDD. I might be wrong. At this stage I am not sure whether to invest in a new Mac Mini or trying to add more RAM to this one and perhaps a better HDD. I noticed that Seagate launched new SSHD which are combining the speed of a SSD with the storage of a HDD.

To get a better understanding of my thinking, I am always trying to do my best with what I have. Five years ago, when I started this small business I was actually using a G4 PPC with Adobe CS3. Two years later I was buying a G5 and ran Adobe CS4. Now there are three years since I have yhis computer in my service and I am quite pleased with it. Nevertheless I noticed it began quite slow when multiple applications are running (i.e.Safari with a tracking application for time recording, MS Word, InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop and Excel). Last project I had was a big one with InDesign files of 200+Mb. It took minutes to package a project making my productivity getting lower. Otherwise it works fine.

Bottom line how quick will it became too old for Adobe's applications?

Would it make any difference at this stage to add some extra RAM, buying a new HDD and perhaps downgrading my OS to a maximum OS X 10.10 or even OS X 10.9?

Any advice would be much appreciate it.

Regards,

Sebastian

• 1. Re: Adobe applications and a MAc Mini early 2009
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Working with "static" files (not video editing with Premiere Pro) you should keep what works until you decide that the hardware is not working for you

That computer would not work at all well for video editing... but are you having problems that make you think a change is needed?

• 2. Re: Adobe applications and a MAc Mini early 2009
            sebdea Level 1

Hi John,

Yes. Indeed I was experiencing all sorts of issues (slow starting applications, slow work in some Adobe applications, and in general the computer was quite slow.) After talking to Apple engineers I was asked to remove the AV. At some point the computer was moving acceptable. Still, I was not pleased. In the end, I managed to keep the MAC Mini but I added maximum of RAM and I changed the HDD with a SSD. It is like I have a new MAC Mini. I am mostly working 2D and typesetting for translating agencies so I do not need much performance from it but it was working very slow at that time. Turned that the HDD was also a reason. It broke 2 days before I received the new SSD. I guess I will work few more months if not years with this MAC.

Sincerely,

Sebastian