3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 7:32 AM by Rick Gerard

How can I edit the text of an AE template downloaded from the internet?

itsthebaronxx

I don't know how to edit the text in the template. There's nothing that says "text" or anything.

I'm using After Effects CC 2014.

• 1. Re: How can I edit the text of an AE template downloaded from the internet?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start trying to select elements in your scene by either soloing the layers in the timeline or by observing the layer handles and the layer behavior. When you get the text selected it may be a pre-comp. To figure out the structure you should use the Comp Flowchart. From the flow chart you can click on and select t layers in any nested comp. Down deep you'll probably find a simple text layer the you can edit. If you can't figure it out or don't have any idea what a flow chart is or how to analyze a comp structure then I wold suggest that you start with some basic tutorials and figure out how AE works. If you are still completely lost then show us a full resolution screenshot with the properties of the layer giving you problems revealed so we can get an idea of what's going on. A fully expanded comp flowchart would also help us figure out what's going on.

• 2. Re: How can I edit the text of an AE template downloaded from the internet?
            itsthebaronxx Level 1

Yea, I'm still quite new to AE haha.

Here's the screenshot:

Untitled.png

• 3. Re: How can I edit the text of an AE template downloaded from the internet?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start soloing layers until you find the NAME layer. If it is in any of the AVI layers then you can't edit it. I still don't know anything meaningful about the composition because no properties of the layers are visible. I have no idea what they have applied to the Black Solid layers or why there are so many of them. Try turning off layers one at a time starting from the bottom and see what happens. Try selecting all the layers and pressing the U key twice. If you do not see a layer that says Source Text then this template has no editable text layers.

It's highly unlikely that  you can learn how to use AE without starting with the basics so you can find and manipulate layer controls. If you have not done so already start here: Basic Workflow