8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 8:21 AM by JimHess

Lightroom needs a save as

bnog

For those of us who are familiar with "save as", Adobe needs to hear us. I spend time editing photos to print, only to wind up without saved changes.

I have researched saving changes on the internet only to read or hear over the top technical talk instead of simple easy to understand language. Kind

of like saying to someone " nice watch", and then hearing how it was built. I guess I am old fashioned, I like  to save things my way, name them my

way, not have some built in software do it for me. I have exported my edited photos to send to labs with good results, but when I print my exported

photos with my own printer the results are nowhere as good as if I print them out of LR 5. If anybody has simple, non technical advice I am all ears

and appreciative.

• 1. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you already understand what I'm about to say, I apologize. All adjustments made using Lightroom are stored in the catalog as the adjustments are made. Lightroom does not modify the original image. There is no need for a "Save as" option because everything that you have done to an image is automatically stored in the catalog. So I maintain my master images in Lightroom. If I want to share some of those images or have them printed by a commercial lab I export copies for that purpose. But I don't keep those copies. They can be regenerated at any time whenever they are needed.

From what you wrote, I think you just need to get your head around the Lightroom workflow. I didn't like it at first myself. But once I gained an understanding of how to work with the catalog rather than fight against it everything just came together.

• 2. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
            whsprague Level 4

Between Snapshots, Virtual Copies and Exports to four formats, I don't understand what a "Save as..." would accomplish.  What do you need it to do?

• 3. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

bnog wrote:

I have exported my edited photos to send to labs with good results, but when I print my exported

photos with my own printer the results are nowhere as good as if I print them out of LR 5. If anybody has simple, non technical advice I am all ears

and appreciative.

There are multiple reasons for differences in your printing and third-party printing.

Is your monitor calibrated? Is it calibrated with your printer?

Are your labs prints being tweaked by the lab guys?

Do you need to add brightness and/or contrast to all your prints? (See the print module for "always do this".)

• 4. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi bnog

In the Print module it is possible to save a print – see image below. You can save a whole batch of selected photos from the film strip and you can also choose to make virtual copies at the same time. That will give you a saved print collection and a virtual copy next to the original in the Folders panel.

LRsavedPrint.jpg

• 5. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
                  bnog Level 1

Thank you Jim. I guess that is where I am lost. How do I create a catalog?

• 6. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
                    bnog Level 1

Jim,

Just a dumb question. After I edit my photos and print them from lightroom I go back to the develop module and click on reset.

Is that where I am going wrong? I have used the create saved print in the print module. It goes to a collection folder, but if I open

that folder to print a photo from it, it is in the unedited version. Same is true if I drag an edited photo to a folder. I am not getting

the work flow. I am sure it is a simple mistake I am making. Very frustrating.

• 7. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
                      99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You only use re-set if you want to go back to the original state at the time of import into Lightroom from camera or folder. When you make a saved print also choose virtual copy. Then if you reset your original, the copy will remain available.

Virtual copies don't create a file on your had drive. They are stored in the catalog as metadata information. So you can create as many as you like, even a black & white copy or copies with different crop dimensions.

• 8. Re: Lightroom needs a save as
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bnog wrote:

Jim,

Just a dumb question. After I edit my photos and print them from lightroom I go back to the develop module and click on reset.

Is that where I am going wrong? I have used the create saved print in the print module. It goes to a collection folder, but if I open

that folder to print a photo from it, it is in the unedited version. Same is true if I drag an edited photo to a folder. I am not getting

the work flow. I am sure it is a simple mistake I am making. Very frustrating.

First of all, there are no dumb questions. Lightroom has a unique workflow. And it is something that you have to get used to. I use Lightroom to post process all of my master photos. The only time I use the reset button is if I have completely gone in the wrong direction and need to start over. As I make adjustments to my master images in Lightroom, those adjustments are saved in the catalog. And the adjustments are part of the image regardless of whether I am looking at them in their folder or in a collection. The adjustments are always part of those images when viewing them in Lightroom. But it will not be part of the image if you try to display them with a different program. If I decide I want to send images to a lab to be printed, or I want to share images with someone, I will export copies. Those copies will include all of the adjustments I have made. But I don't need to keep those copies after they have been used for their intended purpose. They are discarded from my computer. I only have to maintain my master images. In my opinion, one of the key things to learn when using Lightroom is to be willing to work with the catalog and not try to fight it. Backup the catalog frequently and make sure you have backups of your images. When you learn how to work with the catalog, then I believe you will find that it's easy to develop a very smooth workflow.