7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 11:37 AM by ssprengel

Preserving in camera settings in light room

jarrettw97049591

After RAW images are imported to LR, on my 1st viewing of images the loading dialogue appears and the color saturation and exposure changes completely. Is there anyway to change a setting or something so  that I can preserve the original image settings in RAW? I am shooting with a Sony A77II.

• 1. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jarrettw97049591,

• Lightroom never manipulates the original image, so you have it exactly the way it was shot in your original location.
          • Can you post a screen shot of Compete LR window including the panels.
          • Also make sure that while importing you are not using any preset.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When images are first imported into Lightroom they are displayed with the embedded JPEG preview that is part of the raw image. That JPEG preview can be affected by a host of different settings in the camera. But Lightroom does not read those settings. As Lightroom builds its own previews of the raw image data the appearance of the images will change (sometimes dramatically) because most of those in-camera settings are ignored. That leaves you with the freedom to develop the image to suit your taste.

• 3. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
              jarrettw97049591 Level 1

Thank you for the response. Okay  this makes sense but what if I wanted to start with what I shot and develop from there? Recreating my original decisions in camera is adding a lot of time to my post processing, other RAW processing programs allow this to happen.

• 4. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
                jarrettw97049591 Level 1

NO presets are being applied during import but I do notice that it is using the adobe standard profile nothing specific to my camera would that make a difference?

• 5. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are referring to special settings that you have set in your camera such as for saturation and picture styles, etc., there is nothing you can do to make Lightroom import those settings. That's why support has to be added for every camera model that is released, and why Lightroom has to ignore those camera settings. The raw format is not standardized. Every camera maker designs their own raw format. And since this is the case, the in-camera settings have to be ignored.

A few things you can do. You can create presets that will enable you to quickly make enhancements. Or, if there are settings that you find that you make consistently on every image you can make those settings part of your default settings. After you do that those adjustments would be applied whenever you import new images into Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
                    jarrettw97049591 Level 1

Thank you I was able to find some camera profiles on another forum but decided to simply change my default settings to my most common adjustments. Now that I have associated those default settings with my camera will LR use those settings to makes it's initial adjustments? If not the reset button is easy and simple enough...

• 7. Re: Preserving in camera settings in light room
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you mean you have adjusted and saved new customized LR defaults, then those will be used as the initial settings for new imports, or as you say you can Reset exist images to start with those settings as well.