11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 3:15 AM by 99jon

cloud hosting for lightroom

Sochacki Communications

I have over 200,000 photos, spread between 80 clients. When Lightroom first came out, I created one master library, but eventually, it was too much information in one library, so I split my Catalogs out between one per client.

Maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to do...

BUT, here's my issue... I have three office locations. The though of dragging a 5TB hardrive with me that requires a power source other than USB is an issue. That, and the fact that it's not wise to be dragging a heavy hard drive everywhere with me and risk an accidental drop or damage.

Is there any way that regardless of my office location, I can have images uploaded to one hard drive at one location and be able to have them copy down to my other two locations? I have a hard time believing that others aren't experiencing the same issue and wouldn't like to see that option available...

• 1. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
          Sochacki Communications Level 1

I have read that I can throw all my images up on a networked server (or possibly Google Drive)?

If I did that, and considering my three office locations, is it possible for me to then create three separate catalogs on three individual external local drives?

I guess what I would then have to do is individually look for new photos every time I upload them to Google Drive, and then import them on each catalog located at each of the three locations, correct? And, what would happen if I update/modify/retouch the images through one catalog? Would they update automatically on the other two catalogs?

• 2. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The images can be on a network drive, but the catalog cannot. What you would want to do is carry the catalog and the previews folder with you from one location to the next. Then everything would remain synchronized.

• 3. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom

Thanks Jim.

I did know I could do that, and I think that's the way I'll go.

I guess that brings up another question though. If I have all the images on Google Drive, and I don't sync my computer to my images folder, will the catalog still know the images are available even though the specific computer is not synced to the folder? There would be nothing worse than having to sync the images on Drive to my computer's harddrive. As you could imagine, I'd run out of space so fast, I'd have to delete all my adobe CC programs. LOL

• 4. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
                sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Sochaki Communications,

Lightroom can not provide you such a large hosting space but yes Lightroom can access images stored at network locations.

So if you have such space over network you can put your images there and access them being at any location as Lightroom works on previews and not on the original images.

We just do not recommend to put the catalog over network.

Regards

Sarika

• 5. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom

I hope someone else will join this discussion. I haven't used Lightroom in the fashion that you are proposing. But it seems to me that the images would have to be synchronized on all computers in order for this workflow to function properly.

• 6. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
                    sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

No, the changes you are going to make in one catalog is not going to reflect on the other two as they are independent.

And remember you are just working on a preview available on your catalog.

~ Sarika

• 7. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom

Thank you both Jim and Sarika.

I guess the answer here is going to be that there is no simple solution.

Because the catalogs all function independently, modifications being made won't reflect on the other two - so that option won't work.

I just wish Adobe would allow that catalog to be accessed on something like Google drive, this way I could just access that, regardless of my device/computer, and then I could just toss all my images on to one mega drive. I just can't believe that they don't allow a catalog to be accessed like that... especially considering I pay for three CC licenses, which are used on 6 devices, and that's not counting the mobile versions of Lightroom.

With everything that they are doing to allow you access to your files in the Adobe cloud, how something like this wouldn't be a priority is beyond me... I love all my Adobe programs and workflow, but this is one area where it's completely lacking (in my opinion)...

• 8. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom

The underlying database technology is managed through MySQL. There might be a licensing issue involved in making Lightroom multiuser friendly. This isn't something that Adobe allows or doesn't allow. It's the database technology that is used that imposes the limitations.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Just like your images, you can use GoogleDrive and the like to sync the LR catalog across the multiple computers.

The catch is that you need to move the catalog out of the sync folder before you use it and then copy it back to the sync folder when you are done using it. Many of these services do not work well for randomly updated files like the database file of the catalog.

• 10. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
                            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sochacki Communications wrote:

I just wish Adobe would allow that catalog to be accessed on something like Google drive, this way I could just access that, regardless of my device/computer, and then I could just toss all my images on to one mega drive. I just can't believe that they don't allow a catalog to be accessed like that... especially considering I pay for three CC licenses, which are used on 6 devices, and that's not counting the mobile versions of Lightroom.

With everything that they are doing to allow you access to your files in the Adobe cloud, how something like this wouldn't be a priority is beyond me... I love all my Adobe programs and workflow, but this is one area where it's completely lacking (in my opinion)...

The catalogue can be on Google Drive or Dropbox, or in the Creative Cloud drive space. In each case, you actually open a catalogue file that has been synced down onto your computer.

The key problem with this setup is ensuring you don't get conflicts where you are opening an older version of the catalogue file. Imagine if you do a lot of work on one computer and switch it off before the catalogue has synced up to the cloud. You then do a load of work on another computer without realising that those earlier changes are not in the catalogue. So you have to ensure that you allow the catalogue to sync up to the cloud when you finish work, and check that you are opening the latest updated file on the other machine.

• 11. Re: cloud hosting for lightroom
                              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mike Hoffman has a useful video tutorial for using a catalog with dropbox. The problem is that LR is constantly writing to the catalog which can grow to exceeded your storage limit without careful management. Mike overcomes this by syncing just the smart previews.

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/portable-lightroom-catalog/