2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 4:45 AM by VahePogossian

Text Effects from "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" Trailer

VahePogossian Level 1

This is my first ever post in the Adobe Community, so hello to everyone! I was wondering if I could get some help here because I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else. A few days ago the first trailer of the upcoming "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" trilogy was released. Being a designer myself I was immediately drawn to the beautiful special text effects in the trailer. I'm looking for a way to replicate them but so far no luck. I don't know where to start or if it's possible with After Effects at all. In your opinion, what kind of software did the filmmakers use for those effects and how would you make something similar to that? I'm more or less new to After Effects, so I tried searching for some tutorials but so far there are none that simulate the effect from the trailer. Cheers to all!

P.S. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1devH5JP4

• 1. Re: Text Effects from "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" Trailer
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First question: are you new to After Effects?

Second question: do you have any third party plug-ins like the Particular or Borris FX?

I'm assuming you are referring to this:

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 7.31.28 PM.png

AE is more than capable of reproducing those effects. The effect is nothing new. Third-party plug-ins just make it easier. If all you have is the standard set of plug-ins using multiple copies of the text layer and displacement effects. Here is a tutorial from a zillion years ago that will get you started on the concept: George Polevey's Flowing Text Tutorial : Adobe After Effects  I'm pretty sure that tutorial is fourteen or fifteen years old. It's too bad that the link to the video is gone. It looks an awful lot like your example.

Here is another from Andrew Kramer: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

You can also use turbulent displace (not available when George wrote this tutorial and you can use a bunch of different effects to generate the glows. You should become familiar with displacement, blend modes, pre-composing and timing. The tutorials should get you started. BTW, it's easier for all of us on the forum if you use the embed tools to add sample videos and you can just drag screenshots to the reply field or use the icons at the top of the reply field to help us see what you are trying to explain.

• 2. Re: Text Effects from "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" Trailer
            VahePogossian Level 1

Hello, Mr. Gerard. Thank you SO much for replying! Yes, I'm more or less new to After Effects like I wrote above but I have a knack of learning things quickly. I don't have those plug-ins that you mentioned. I just checked them and if it's something you'd advise to have, I think I can afford the Trapcode Particular. Also, thank you for the tutorials. I'll check them out and see if I can make something out of it. Best regards!