M.2 video file working speed comparison

mikeklar Level 1

To the blessed few of us that have time to do this stuff

Intro –

• Mother board ASUS X99-E-WS/USB3.1
      • CPU i7 5930K
      • G Skill DDR4 64GB
      • M.2 is a Samsung 950 Pro
      • The video file used is of 6.5 minutes duration with more than 8,500 frames, having 23 layers including stabilization used on about 11 layers.  Due to the latter the file requires re-rendering every time it’s opened. Because of this I use it to compare the systems speed by logging the time it takes to completely render the video.

Although I started to put this system together during early September, it’s only over the past few days I seriously worked on overclocking and it’s now less than 24 hours that it’s been successfully and stably running at the speeds noted below.  Without going into details, overclocking the system was only successful once the Bios was upgraded from version 0501 to version 0602 for this motherboard. 

Prior to overclocking with the CPU was running at 3750MHz the video file would render in just under 10 minutes

After overclocking the CPU to 4377MHz the file rendered in 7 minutes 59 seconds

After moving the entire 90GB video folder onto the Samsung 950 Pro and starting from there the file rendered in 7 minutes 18 seconds, i.e. an 8% improvement.

What this shows is the CPU speed is still the dominant factor as I had hoped to get at least a 15% improvement when working from the M.2 SSD. 

Any suggestions are most welcome

Happy overclocking and Happy Holidays

• 1. Re: M.2 video file working speed comparison
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried removing GPU acceleration of your timeline to see its effects.  Maybe a second GPU is in order to speed up the Warp Stabilization.

• 2. Re: M.2 video file working speed comparison
            mikeklar Level 1

Hi Bill

The GPU acceleration is turned on, I'll turn it off and see how much of a difference it makes.

Regarding a second GPU, I was considering upgrading to a 980 and keep the 970 as a spare, but your suggestion is now under consideration.

Just checking the settings I noted the Cache's were still going to a slower SSD, which have now been changed to be with the working files.

Also, I had disabled the GPU's PhysX, which now is re-enabled.

FYI, as noted I use this Video primarily to check the system stability and speed, and realize it is not a very scientific way to do this as is your method, which I will redo shortly.  As well, regarding stabilization whenever it is required now I transcode it to a new video file and the problem of having to re-render the entire video no longer exists.

A couple of additional points; due to a serious crash a few weeks ago after upgrading both NVIDIA and Java software I've been reluctant to upgrade said software, but will do so shortly.  Also, Speccy  gets uninstalled with every major upgrade of Windows 10, so it's only being activated when I'll submit your benchmark.

One more point, regarding the DDR4 memory latency in this system is very slow, are you finding this to be the same on your system?  Also, I'm considering of strategically placing a small fan near the SSD 950 including a temperature sensor, any suggestion on where to put the sensor?

Cheers

• 3. Re: M.2 video file working speed comparison
              mikeklar Level 1

Bill

With the GPU Acceleration turned off it renders in 16 minutes and 5 seconds.

Note; with the latest update to PR and the changes noted in my previous reply, re-running the renderings with the GPU Acceleration turned on it rendered in 7 minutes and 11 seconds.

Cheers

Update - after placing the System Swapping file on Samsung's SSD 950 and removing it from another SSD drive leaving only a minimum size on C drive, the Rendering speed improved by 3.5%.

Also, there is a revised version of Speccy, which hopefully will be more friendly to Win 10.