5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 7:27 AM by A.T. Romano

PrE 11 crashes when main window appears

hairybones1997

Hello Community,

I just recently downloaded the 64-bit version of Adobe Premiere Elements 11 onto a brand new computer. I would have installed from the disc that product came in, but I have misplaced it, luckily the key from the box stays on the website! When I run PrE for the first time, the welcome screen works like normal, but whenever I try to open the video editor, the splash screen will do it's thing, loading everything it needs to, and then adobe premiere will crash the second the main window shows up. Sometimes it crashes and it's just a big white rectangle, other times it shows all of the menus that would be shown if you started up in quick edit mode.

This new computer runs 64-bit Windows 10 with all the latest updates, has 8GB of RAM (or 7.9 if you want to be as picky as Task Manager), Nvidia GTX970m with the latest drivers (if that matters), Intel core i7-5700HQ 4 core (8 thread) CPU @ 2.70Ghz, and the latest version of Quicktime. I have also recently defragmented and did a disk cleanup of both of my hard drives in an attempt to remedy the situation, to no avail.

I would love to get adobe premiere working again and be able to make some more videos.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: PrE 11 crashes when main window appears
          A.T. Romano Level 7

hairybones1997

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 10 64 bit.

Do you have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on your Windows 10 64 bit. If not, please uninstall the QuickTime installed, and install version 7.7.6. That 7.7.6 is not the latest version, but it does meet the Premiere Elements requirement for QuickTime 7. Apple has a problem with QuickTime 7.7.8 (latest version) for Windows 10 64 bit.

1. Are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)? In addition, please right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 11 and select and apply Run As Administrator. Perhaps an overkill, but also consider

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 14

and, in the Adobe Premiere Elements 14 Folder, find the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, right click it, and select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click that file to determine if it will open to the Premiere Elements 14 workspace.

2. Does the problems exist with or without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

3. Also, go to

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

and, in the Adobe Folder, find the folder specifically named OOBE. The rename the OOBE Folder from OOBE to OLDOOBE.

Please consider, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PrE 11 crashes when main window appears
            hairybones1997 Level 1

Sorry, but that neither of your solutions have done the trick for me, A.T. Romano. Adobe Premiere still crashes the same way.

Thank's for your effort though!

• 3. Re: PrE 11 crashes when main window appears
              A.T. Romano Level 7

hairybones1997

Thanks for the update. There was a typing error in my post 1 which I could not get at to correct. There I wrote

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 14

and, in the Adobe Premiere Elements 14 Folder, find the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, right click it, and select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click that file to determine if it will open to the Premiere Elements 14 workspace.

You have Premiere Elements 11 not 14. So that should have been 11 instead of 14. Since you do not have 14, you probably realized the typing error. Just the number affected in the typed text not the rest of that section content.

What video card/graphics card and driver version did you use for Premiere Element 11 when you used it last (presumably OK then)? Did Windows 10 come with the new computer or did you replace Windows 7 or 8.1 with 10 or do a clean install of 10 on a prior Windows 7 or 8.1?

Long shots but worth a try....

1. Do an uninstall the regular Control Panel route, do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts), and reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewalls disabled. The cleaner becomes relevant to get rid of leftovers from incomplete Adobe uninstalls/reinstalls.

2. You could try to create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 11 from there.

3. Are you working with an Internet connection?

4. Any 3rd party plugins on this new computer?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: PrE 11 crashes when main window appears
                hairybones1997 Level 1

None of your suggestions made the program work either... Sorry!

My old computer had an AMD Radeon HD 7670m with drivers that were ancient because they would make every program that required the video card to crash, and I have no recollection if Adobe Premiere was one of them. That computer started with windows 7, but had a clean install of windows 10 late in it's life (deleting everything). All of the other specs weren't too much different.

Any other suggestions?

• 5. Re: PrE 11 crashes when main window appears
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

hairybones1997

Thanks for the follow ups.

1. Check the hosts file for entries beyond the default. See that mention in the following 12/12.link. Should apply to 11 as well.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

2. Go to File Explorer. Right click "My PC", select Manage.

Then Storage/Services and Applications and Services

Services

Scroll down to FLEXnet Licensing Service and verify that it is listed as "Running". If not, then Start it (automatic or manual).

Let us see if any of these paths were successful.

ATR