6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 12:54 PM by CarlossB

PC update advice needed

CarlossB Level 1

I need RAID of some kind,  I don't have knowledge what so ever which hard drive to buy ect

My PC

HexaCore Intel Core i7-4930K

Asus P9X79 Deluxe (2 PCI-E x1, 4 PCI-E x16, 8 DDR3 DIMM,

G.Skill TridentX 32GB 4X8GB Quad Channel DDR3 2400MHz PC3 -- i will add 32GB soon £170

EVGA e-GeForce GTX 580 3GB --- need update

Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD

rest of hard drives are old 3TB 1TB with my files and projects

I do photography as well now more and more of filming and of course editing  HD and 4K

At this moment is nearly impossible to work with Premier Pro CC and DaVinci Resolve 12

What I missing is Raid I read some hire $4K for 4K Video Editing PC Build Suggestions however is a bit old post and not sure if still apply or perhaps is something better faster with more possibilities 

What is best setup of hard drives for 4K editing, I talk future perhaps in next 6 months I will be able to update motherboard and cpu who knows

Please Help me out as I keep paying subscription for adobe CC and I cant fully use it

Best Regards CB

BTW I in UK, I sorry for my English as is my second language

• 1. Re: PC update advice needed
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would not advise RAID anymore when you can get High speed SSD's.  Fortunately your board supports PCIe 3.0 cards.  If you get a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and an adapter board like Addonics ADM2PX4 or the Lycom DT120 (absolutely identical boards) and make sure you have a NVMe driver.   You can install it in your system and have a 256 or 512 GB  device that is many times faster than hard disk drives without bothering with RAID.  Just put all your project files and media on this device and make sure your OS and BIOS are up to date and the driver is there. and you should see something like this:

950-PRO-X99-PCIe3.0-Win-8.1.png

I do not have this motherboard to try it but I do not see any reason why you cannot achieve these results.  After finishing a project move it to your hard drives for archiving

• 2. Re: PC update advice needed
            CarlossB Level 1

Thanks for suggestion however I think 512GB might be not enough ?

if I will cut/edit 4K video from H264 in premiere how will be like reads and wrights export ?

I need awesome hard drive setup for cutting and editing 4K in Premiere Pro After Effect Speed Grade Davinci Resolve

Please Help

• 3. Re: PC update advice needed

I am cutting and editing 4K XAVC-S (100Mbits/sec MP4) from my Sony FDR-AX100 on this very laptop with no problem at all.  Of course there are many more demanding media formats out there, so I cannot generalize about your media.

• 4. Re: PC update advice needed
                CarlossB Level 1

I did buy it 512Gb and adapter, however what is best hard drive setup for Premiere Pro After Effect Speed Grade Davinci Resolve software

• 5. Re: PC update advice needed

My personal preference is to have all your current project files, media, previews  on it and your OS/Applications on a standard fast SATA SSD.  Leave the Media Cache/Media Cache Database on the default C: drive.  So far no one has shown me any better configuration with our PPBM testing.

• 6. Re: PC update advice needed
                    CarlossB Level 1

disk speed.jpg

What you thing of throws test ?

Now what will be best to do with project files, media, previews, media cache, media cache database, and export to slower will slow down somehow

For now I have:

6Gb/s Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB for system OS drive, 

6Gb/s Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB vnand

not sure which port Seagate 3TB Sata3 64Mb cache which have around 4000 MB/s Read and 400 Write

1TB is old drive and I keep old stuff on it

Thanks for help