4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 7:07 AM by rpdolesh

After Effects CC 2015 13.6.1.6 crashes during RAM previews with no warning. Anyone else?

andreasn4450004

Hey guys,

Since the new update, After Effects crashes constantly when RAM previewing my footage. No warning, and no option to save on crash. I have to save every 30sec, and sometimes I don't even get a chance to move the playhead, I press spacebar, and after 3 / 4 sec it just closes.

My system can definitely handle the footage, I have 32gb RAM and a 980ti card, running AE from a dedicated SSD.

Any help?!

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: After Effects CC 2015 13.6.1.6 crashes during RAM previews with no warning. Anyone else?
          TommyRiddle

13.6.1.6 crashes every time I add a text layer or select type. I'm dead in the water.

• 2. Re: After Effects CC 2015 13.6.1.6 crashes during RAM previews with no warning. Anyone else?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you system is compatible and your AE build is current you should generally not be having this kind of problem. There are some other problems that may occur like bad fonts, incompatible 3rd party plug-ins or incompatible footage formats, even incompatible AMD CPU's, but without complete OS and AE version details down to the last decimal point and a concise description of your workflow and a copy of the error message it's impossible to make any better guess at what is causing the problem.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC 2015 13.6.1.6 crashes during RAM previews with no warning. Anyone else?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Welcome to the Brave New World of After Effects, where you need to either have decades of experience with it under your belt or an advanced degree in computer science to get the application to run even semi-reliably.

My recommendation -- forget AE CC 2015 even exists.  Instead, download and use AE CC 2014.

Unless, of course, you have decades or AE experience or a computer science degree.

• 4. Re: After Effects CC 2015 13.6.1.6 crashes during RAM previews with no warning. Anyone else?
                rpdolesh Level 1

13.6.1.6 crashing for me too!

I am working on an AMD PC w/ GTX 480, (definitely due for an upgrade), but with AE 2015, 6 months or so old--can't recall exact version, but started to crash very often, I applied much of the wisdom I learned in last 10 years running AE, and then gave up, hoping the NEW update-- 13.6.1.6 might help...no luck.    The second I opened the project it crashed.

The project has an .ai image, that while it's size is only 134KB, tiny...its raster size is slightly larger than HD (something like 2210 x 800)   2 or 3 vectors this size, and a couple masks--very simple project, and it crashed the second I opened the problem project... Now thinking the .ai file might be too big?

Dave, thanks for the idea, I might go back to AE 2014--that one seemed very stable...

AE_Vectors_Crash.JPG

UPDATE: I went and installed AE 2014, and the related updates, it now Screams...It is so much faster it's hard to believe.  And no crashing.  But again, to be fair, my system is getting old and has PCI express 2.0 boards not the 3.0 or 3.1 and I would sure think Adobe is taking advantage of that newer technology.  So, my advice to anybody with an older system...keep 2014 on your system, if you do want to load 2015--go to advaced setting and select 'keep old versions of AE' and compare your performance between both.