21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 7:18 AM by F. McLion

LR3 file in LR5

bugtog

Hi,

When I open 'old' files developed in LR3 in my updated LR5 the develop setting/sliders/etc show up as LR3? How do I update these older files to allow for LR5 development? And if I do this 'update' will I loose the work I did on them in LR3? Thanks in advance for your time.

Phil

• 1. Re: LR3 file in LR5
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you upgrade your LR3 catalog to LR5?

Then, all the work done is still there.

You may want to update the process version: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/import-presets-lightroom-3-lightroom.html

• 2. Re: LR3 file in LR5
            bugtog Level 1

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I don't know if I did or not. I'll view you link and come back to you -

• 3. Re: LR3 file in LR5
              khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi

Greetings!!!

It seems to be you are opening your catalog in Lightroom 3 rather than Lightroom 5.

Right click (ctrl + click (MAC)) and choose open with -> Adobe Lightroom.

It will create a new upgraded copy of the catalog that will open in Lightroom 5

Regards

Jitendra

• 4. Re: LR3 file in LR5

You need to make sure you're opening LR5. Then open the latest LR3 catalog and it will be copied and upgraded - this usually happens automagically.

• 5. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                  bugtog Level 1

Thanks both -

looked at the link - somehow in the past I must of clicked on the small ! icon and not choose to update.....

@ Jitendra - some images, recent ones will open in LR5 development [with the LR5 slider options in basic] others - older images will open with LR3 development sliders. It would seem different catalogues are opening while running LR5?

I appoloigize for my ignorance.

• 6. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                    bugtog Level 1

Yes the icon on my Mac dock says LR5 but it would appear LR3 image profiles [if that is the correct term] are what pop up when I open them. Any ideas how to upate all the images to LR5 globally? And will this loose the development work done in LR3?

• 7. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                      bugtog Level 1

-

Greetings!!!

It seems to be you are opening your catalog in Lightroom 3 rather than Lightroom 5.

Right click (ctrl + click (MAC)) and choose open with -> Adobe Lightroom.

It will create a new upgraded copy of the catalog that will open in Lightroom 5

Regards

Jitendra

-

Where exactly do i click? On the catalogue (s) in my Hard drive when they are stored. Again appologies.

• 8. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                        bugtog Level 1

Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 3.30.14 pm.jpg

• 9. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                          bugtog Level 1

Right I found this option in the drop down [see below] Screen-Shot-2015-12-21-at-3.41.07-pm-1.jpgbut it only works for a single image at a time. Is there a way to update all images/catalogues to LR5? Many thanks

• 10. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                            bugtog Level 1

Hello, Still asking - is there a way to update all images globally to LR5 development process?

Cheers

• 11. Re: LR3 file in LR5

Yes, there is:

While in the Develop module:

• Select multiple photos in the Filmstrip.
                              • Set process version 2012 on the current (most selected) photo.
                              • Click on Sync.
                              • Uncheck all check-boxes and check the Process Version check-box only.
                              • Click Ok.

Please note that this can give various results on previously adjusted photos - they may look very different.

• 12. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                bugtog Level 1

Thank you, I'll give it a go. Much appreciated.

• 13. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                  bugtog Level 1

That worked, a bit laborsome but I'll get through them. I've got another odd one if you're game. When I look at my image folders some have solid arrows/triangles others are 'spotty', why is that? screenshot to follow

• 14. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                    bugtog Level 1

Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 5.31.48 pm.jpg

• 15. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                      dj_paige Level 9

Solid gray means there are subfolders, whijch you will see if you click on the triangle.

Dotted gray means there are no subfolders.

• 16. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                        bugtog Level 1

Thank you. And thanks to all for their time.

Phil

• 17. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

You are Welcome Phil

• 18. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bugtog wrote:

Hi,

When I open 'old' files developed in LR3 in my updated LR5 the develop setting/sliders/etc show up as LR3? How do I update these older files to allow for LR5 development? And if I do this 'update' will I loose the work I did on them in LR3?

What hasn't been mentioned is that it is perfectly OK to leave old image files in their previous process version (PV2003, PV2010) when upgrading LR. Yes, you can mass-convert all or some of your image files to the new process version (PV2012) and LR will "automatically" calculate and apply new settings based on the previous settings. Unfortunately, PV2012's controls work differently than PV2010 and PV2003 and the "automatic" conversion often results in the images that look less than optimum. When this happens it's best to start over with all of the PV2012 Basic panel 'Tone' controls reset by double-clicking  on the word 'Tone.' Because of this it's best to update image files individually on an as needed basis. You can do this by clicking on the small lightning bolt icon that appears in the lower right corner of the Histogram panel.

In general the images that benefit the most are those with bright highlight and dark shadow areas. PV2012 excels in recovering detail in these areas using the Highlights and Shadows controls. I've created a short tutorial document explaining how to properly use the PV2012 Tone controls to obtain the best results, which you can download here. Enjoy!

Dropbox - Lightroom PV2012 Basic Tone Control Adjustments.pdf

• 19. Re: LR3 file in LR5

Cool Todd, nice Guide.

The order I teach in classes is slightly different. For me, the Auto rarely does a good job. However, I like to use the automatic on the White and Black slider only (shift + doubleclick on the slider).

• 20. Re: LR3 file in LR5
                                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glad you like the guide. It's my best attempt at connecting the right-and-left brain hemispheres when it comes to PV2012 Tone control adjustments. The Auto Tone button works fairly well, except that Exposure is almost always incorrect (too high). Simply adjusting just the Exposure control after Auto Tone for proper midtones usually gets you in the ball park. YMMV.....personally I never use Auto Tone...guess I'm too techie.

F. McLion wrote:

I like to use the automatic on the White and Black slider only (shift + doubleclick on the slider).

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but Adobe changed the behavior of double-click on Whites and Blacks sliders and it no longer works properly in LR6 and CC2015. It appears to be a bug–Please see this post:

Re: Adobe standard problems with my Samsung NX. Advice please?

For me it's easier and more accurate to simply hold down the ALT key when setting Whites & Blacks clipping points. That way you can see exactly what area of the image is clipped and by how much......again working smarter by connecting the right-and-left brain hemispheres.

• 21. Re: LR3 file in LR5

I haven't noticed that - thanks for the heads up - I'll need to check the single-slider automatic. Last time I used it was with 6.1.1 before updating to 6.3.

I'm always using the Alt+ to check what the automatic did and to fine tune. I could actually skip the automatic because I always check/tune with Alt+ and simply by looking at the picture anyway