5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 2:34 PM by Newsgroup_User

Roll over - on images

ps_artist
      Hi there... I’m looking for a bit of advice here. Basically I am trying to create page on a website that show you the inside of a facility using a map for navigation. So there will be a birds eye view of the map and where you click on each of the meetings rooms and information / images are displayed above the map for each. However I want to have the text to be interactive, ie- roll overs... So when you hover over each room it changes colour and when selected the room or text changes colour to make it obvious which room you are in...

Is fireworks the best package to use for this or would dreamwever / photoshop be a better option for this?

Please see link below for rough sketch on what this is to look like...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v355/dabexg/?action=view&current=Describe.jpg

Thank you all very much in advance..
        • 1. Re: Roll over - on images
          Level 7
          Do NOT use Fireworks (or Photoshop for that matter) to generate ANY HTML
          code. You might create the actual graphics to swap in and out with
          Fireworks, but the code should be done in Dreamweaver. Or "manually". Or
          even better - with CSS rather than Javascript rollovers.
          --
          Alec
          Adobe Community Expert
          • 2. Re: Roll over - on images
            ps_artist Level 1
            Thank you for your quick reply... I have no coding experience so I am just looking for a straight forward way in which i can do this...

So from creating my graphic in photoshop / illustrator / fireworks and importing it into dreamwever... Could you give me any pointers on what to do after that??

Thanks again...
            • 3. Re: Roll over - on images
              Level 7
              This is not meant to be sarcastic or snide in any way - but before
              importing anything into Dreamweaver you need to learn a little about
              HTML/CSS. If you don't know what to do already, then you shouldn't be
              using Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is a tool to help you work more
              efficiently - to do things you already know how to do, just quicker and
              easier. It is not meant to "do it for you". Honest pointers - visit
              w3schools.com and spend some time learning about XHTML/CSS and the
              general workflow.

--
              Alec
              Adobe Community Expert
              • 4. Re: Roll over - on images
                Level 7
                If your description of your skills with HTML and CSS is accurate then you
                simply won't be able to do this effect. It will require much more than a
                snippet of code or a link to a tutorial. Sorry.

As Alec suggests, you will need some 'chops' to accomplish this task.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"ps_artist" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gmf6p5$22u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thank you for your quick reply... I have no coding experience so I am just
                > looking for a straight forward way in which i can do this...
                >
                > So from creating my graphic in photoshop / illustrator / fireworks and
                > importing it into dreamwever... Could you give me any pointers on what to
                > do
                > after that??
                >
                > Thanks again...
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Roll over - on images
                  Level 7
                  dabexg wrote:
                  > Hi there... I?m looking for a bit of advice here. Basically I am trying to
                  > create page on a website that show you the inside of a facility using a map for
                  > navigation. So there will be a birds eye view of the map and where you click on
                  > each of the meetings rooms and information / images are displayed above the map
                  > for each. However I want to have the text to be interactive, ie- roll overs...
                  > So when you hover over each room it changes colour and when selected the room
                  > or text changes colour to make it obvious which room you are in...
                  >
                  > Is fireworks the best package to use for this or would dreamwever / photoshop
                  > be a better option for this?

Actually, Flash would be the best choice for your project. The resulting
                  file size would be much smaller than if you used Fireworks disjoint
                  rollovers to create the page.

--
                  Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
                  --------------------------------------------------------------