13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 5:10 AM by aakshayg8133712

Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6

aakshayg8133712

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated.

I have recently subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud and use Lightroom mobile as well as Lightroom desktop version.

I have been wirelessly transferring photos from my Canon EOS 6D (using Canon EOS remote app) to my Lightroom mobile on the iPad and used the Lightroom mobile to adjust the photos and tag/reject photos. This is great as I can adjust my photos whilst on holiday and they are all ready by the time I get back.

What I don't quite get is that when I log into Lightroom on the desktop, the photos I have adjusted on the mobile app do appear and can by synced but they are of a reduced size and not the original size, which is not ideal.

Now my question - is there any way of transferring the full images from my camera to Lightroom and automatically apply changes already made on the mobile LR app to the full size raw images, tag/reject photos imported at a later stage?

I would be very interested to hear if there is a way to do this as it would streamline a lengthy process otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

Ash

• 1. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi aakshayg,

When you import the images in Lightroom Mobile and sync them over to Lightroom desktop, it is the smart previews which are transferred over.

Unfortunately, there is no such way to link those synced images with the original raw images.

• 2. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
            aakshayg8133712 Level 1

Thanks Chetna.

Can the changes be applied to the full size jpeg images though?

• 3. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

We need some clarification on what you are experiencing.

What should be happening:

- On iPad, you import the raw files into LR Mobile.

- LR Mobile creates reduced-size smart previews for local editing and exporting.

- LR Mobile sends the original raw files to your LR Desktop, plus any editing instructions you did.

- Any edits on the LR Desktop send updated smart previews back to LR Mobile.

How does what you are seeing differ from this?

• 4. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                aakshayg8133712 Level 1

The first 2 steps are fine.

The problems are in the latter steps:

LR Mob does not send the original RAW files to LR desktop - I am led to believe this cannot happen.

Is that correct?

If so, is there any way to replicate the changes on LR mobile when the full size images are imported from the camera into LR desktop?

• 5. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I may have misunderstood the original problem. What I wrote above assumes the images came from the iPad's camera.

For images coming from a DSLR, LR Mobile really wants the process to look like this:

Images are imported into LR Desktop.

Reduced size smart previews are sent to LR Mobile.

Edits made by LR Mobile are sent back to LR Desktop.

For your case of DSLR images to start in LR Mobile, this is going to take someone more knowledgeable than me. :-(

• 6. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                    Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Lightroom Mobile does not send the original raw files to desktop.

I believe as per your process of getting the images in Lightroom Mobile, it would have down sampled the images to sync them.

I would suggest to use the apple connection kit to get the photos on the ipad and import the jpegs to Lr Mobile. With that the original photos will get synced to Lightroom Desktop

Or, you might want to revert the process of import.

You can import your original raw images directly on Lightroom Desktop so that your raw files remain on desktop and then, enable the sync with Lightroom Mobile so that you can edit those images on your Lightroom Mobile and once the edits would be done, you will be able to see those changes on your Lightroom desktop.

There would be no way to link the original raw images with the Lightroom Mobile synced images that you have on your desktop now.

• 7. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a few third-party plugins for Lightroom that can sync settings on jpegs automatically to the corresponding raws. Syncomatic is one: Syncomatic - Sync files with same name or time and Photosmith is another: Sync with Lightroom | Photosmith – your photography workflow, mobile but there are many more.

Lightroom mobile is not really well designed for a workflow where you take in images through the mobile device unfortunately. You can work around its shortcomings with these third party plugins.

• 8. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                        aakshayg8133712 Level 1

I will try the latter suggestion as that allows the use of RAW images. It does however still require the RAW images to be downloaded to LR desktop first and then synced with LR mobile rather than the other way round.

The idea was to try and avoid the use of the desktop until edits were done and then synced and applied to the RAW files on desktop (even if downloaded to LR desktop directly) after but  looks like this may not be possible.

Thanks anyway and I will try these options.

Best wishes,

• 9. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6

The syncomatic thing actually allows you to do what you want. You load the Jpegs (you mightvgavectovshoot RAW+jpeg) on your iPad into Lightroom mobile and keyword/edit. Then when you get home you download the raw files into the real Lightroom on your computer. The jpeg files should have already synced to your machine. You select the raw and Jpegs files and run the plugin which will recognize which files belong together and then apply the settings from the Jpegs to the raw files.

I have no experience with the plugin but that's how I understand this will work. The writer of the plugin is an active person on this forum and it was specifically written to solve issues such as thus.

• 10. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                            aakshayg8133712 Level 1

Thanks.

That would be an ideal solution to what I'm looking for If it works.

Any ideas how to find the plugin?

• 11. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6

I had the link up in one of the first posts in this thread: Syncomatic - Sync files with same name or time

Quote: "A newer use is with Lightroom Mobile if you are travelling with the iPad and want to import new images. LrM version 1 won't let you import raw files directly, but if you shoot raw+JPEG you can import the JPEGs into Lightroom Mobile, apply star ratings and flags, even make adjustments. When you return to your computer, you can import the raw files into Lightroom and LrM automatically imports the JPEGs with the metadata. Syncomatic's capture time option allows you to sync the metadata from the JPEGs to the raw files."

I haven't used it myself but could be something to try.

• 12. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                                aakshayg8133712 Level 1

I shall try and report back. Thanks

• 13. Re: Lightroom mobile & Lightroom 6
                                  aakshayg8133712 Level 1

Justo report back. I have downloaded the Syncomatic plugin and it works like a dream. Solves the issues I raised. The author of the plugin, John Beardsworth was very helpful for my query.

Thanks all.