6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 3:46 AM by tobiask43046735

Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)

John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For some time even after installing CC, I continued using CS6. More recently, CC 2015 became the version in primary use, and I've noticed I no longer have use of the context menu key. This is the key on the Windows (running Windows 7 here) keyboard that opens the context menu, same as right-click, but I wouldn't want it to be confused with the right-click problems others have had. Right-click never stopped working for me...only the keyboard menu key.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeVaqdvYCW9r_i2_bCgvcl0DaYGb_IuvnXuwH6Ehv5id7hYxHhVCZerg

I've confirmed that it is dead in all the CC apps I have installed, and that it still works in the CS6 apps. It's most noticeable where it's most valuable to me; in InDesign, where my input style is keyboard-centric, compared to the more mouse-happy activity that ensues while using the more "graphical" apps; Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

Has anyone else noticed or reported this?

• 1. Re: Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)
          ali u

I have the same problem, is there a solution for this?

• 2. Re: Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hay ali,

If there is a solution, it still eludes me here. As you can see, your reply is the only one. I thought the problem could be mine alone. Thanks for posting.

• 3. Re: Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I never use this key, but I can confirm that it doesn't work on Windows 7 with the latest CC versions of Indesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge and Audition.

It does work in Dreamweaver.

• 4. Re: Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)
                tobiask43046735 Level 1

I can unfortunately still confirm this. First thing I noticed is with SHIFT+F10, which is supposed to be an alternative for keyboards not having the menu key, does display a context menu. However, it is not the same as a right click on the current cursor position: E.g. if you mistyped a word so it gets underlined red, a right click gives you the spelling correction menu, while SHIFT+F10 still gives you the default context menu that you'd get by clicking on empty space. If that is fine with you, just use AutoHotkey to map

AppsKey::+F10

and you're done.

However, I want the real context menu. Inspired by another post I found, I tried

AppsKey:: MouseMove, %A_CaretX%, %A_CaretY% Click Right, %A_CaretX%, %A_CaretY% Return

which should move the mouse to the current text cursor position and right click, but unfortunately InDesign doesn't give away the Caret position, so this merely simulates a right click.

I guess one could use

app.selection

to somehow get the actual cursor position within ExtendScript, but I don't know how to have ExtendScript display a context menu anyway. And I'm not yet motivated enough to access InDesign via Microsoft COM to get both the real text cursor position and simulate a right click there...

• 5. Re: Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Tobias,

with ExtendScript you can only invoke the menuItems of the context menu and not the context menu itself.
                  To do so you have to work with associatedMenuAction . The menu itself does not provide the property associatedMenuAction and therefore cannot be invoked directly by calling it as menu by its name.

FWIW There are (at least) two different context menus with InDesign:

app.menus.item("$ID/RtMouseText");
                  app.menus.item("$ID/RtMouseLayout");

The other way—theoretically—would be to use a menuAction for invoking a menu.

Unfortunately this will not work for all menus. Only for some.

If you want to invoke the "Document Setup" do it like that:

app.menuActions.itemByName("$ID/Document Setup...").invoke();

However, using the string from above with menuAction—when e.g. a rectangle is selected—will not work and is throwing an error:

var doc = app.documents.add();

var rectangle = doc.rectangles.add({geometricBounds : [0,0,100,100] , fillColor : "None" });
                  doc.select(rectangle);

try
                  {
                  app.menuActions.itemByName("$ID/RtMouseLayout").invoke();
                  }catch(e){alert(e)};

Showing an example for invoking one menuItem of the context menu:

var doc = app.documents.add();

var rectangle = doc.rectangles.add({geometricBounds : [0,0,100,100] , fillColor : "None" });
                  doc.select(rectangle);

app.menus.item("$ID/RtMouseLayout").
                      menuItems.itemByName("$ID/&Lock Position").
                      associatedMenuAction.invoke();

But this will not help in what you really want.

Regards,
                  Uwe

• 6. Re: Windows Context Menu Key Dead in CC (2015)
                    tobiask43046735 Level 1

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the info, that's what I was afraid of. So I guess one would really have to use an external tool to simulate a real right click, but in order to obtain the cursor position some magic beyond me seems to be necessary... I wonder why Adobe did this, it just doesn't make any sense.