7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 8:47 AM by A.T. Romano

I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.

jasonj16364547

I have tried to get a video done but on youtube it has a frame blacked out and only audio plays...why??

• 1. Re: I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jasonj

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Are you uploading to YouTube using

a. Premiere Elements Timeline content exported to file and then that file uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

or

b. Premiere Elements Timeline content uploaded to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature?

What video properties - frame size, frame rate, etc. are involved in the Premiere Elements project as well as in the uploads?

What is the file size and duration of the upload one way or another?

Where does this frame black out/audio only occur in the playback at YouTube

a. first frame

b. last frame

c. some place in the playback between the first and last frame?

What is missing video file or a still image file?

Please confirm how much is missing at YouTube - one frame or several minutes or other?

Did the frame or frames go missing only after the upload, that is, all played back in previewing within the project?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.
            jasonj16364547 Level 1

Hello, thank you for replying to my email.  I am not very techy but I will

try to answer the following questions as best as I can.  I will answer them

below in red...hope this is OK.

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Are you uploading to YouTube using

a. Premiere Elements Timeline content exported to file and then that file

uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

or

b. Premiere Elements Timeline content uploaded to YouTube using the

Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature?  Yes...this one

What video properties - frame size, frame rate, etc. are involved in the

Premiere Elements project as well as in the uploads?  Not sure how I would

find this out.

What is the file size and duration of the upload one way or another?

The durations is under 8 minutes.  Not sure where I find the size of the

upload.

Where does this frame black out/audio only occur in the playback at YouTube

a. first frame

b. last frame

c. some place in the playback between the first and last frame?  It

happened on the 9th frame of 17 frames.  We can hear the audio, but the

screen is black.  We decided to start the entire project over, and on the

second time we uploaded it, it was the 3rd frame that did the same thing

and the 9th was visible.  Very confusing what could be causing it.

What is missing video file or a still image file?  video file

Please confirm how much is missing at YouTube - one frame or several

minutes or other?  One frame is missing.

Did the frame or frames go missing only after the upload, that is, all

played back in previewing within the project?  This varies.  Sometimes, the

screen goes blank on some of the frames.  We usually have to shut the

program down and restart it to be able to see these frames show up again.

It is very random and different frames each time.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your

reply. If you can give me a call, it would be most appreciated.  [personal information removed by moderator]

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to

ask.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jasonj

Thanks for the important troubleshooting information. There are still some gaps in information that we need. You might have missed my questions or were not sure how to answer.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using for this problem project? And, what computer operating system are you using - Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit, Mac?

2. Is the video on the Timeline all from the same camera with the same camera settings? We need to know at least the frame size and frame rate of your Timeline video. One way, we can do a look up if we know the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. Another way, you could import the video into the project. Then in the project media area, right click the file's thumbnail, select Properties, and tell us what is shown there for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio.

3. Since it is not always the same video file that goes black, we should also turn to computer resources - how much installed and available RAM, how much free hard drive space...etc.

4. Do you have the Timeline Snap enabled? Click anywhere in a blank areas of the Timeline, enable Snap option in the menu that appears. Just trying to prevent any unwanted tiny gaps between clips.

But right now, let us rule in or out the contribution of the Timeline content to this matter of black frame randomly presenting in your project's Timeline.

Thanks for exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

ATR

• 5. Re: I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jasonj

Thanks for the reply but the answers said to be below are not there.

As your schedule permits, could you review the way you posted the information and try again.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.
                  jasonj16364547 Level 1

What version of Premiere Elements are you using for this problem project?

And, what computer operating system are you using - Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or

10 64 bit, Mac?

WINDOWS 10

2. Is the video on the Timeline all from the same camera with the same

camera settings? We need to know at least the frame size and frame rate of

your Timeline video. One way, we can do a look up if we know the

brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. Another way,

you could import the video into the project. Then in the project media

area, right click the file's thumbnail, select Properties, and tell us what

is shown there for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio.

Yes..same camera and settings.....camera is an older Sony Cybershot 6 mega

pixels DSC-W50. 11.3 MB per frame approx......frame rate approx

27fps.......I could email you to clip if needed

3. Since it is not always the same video file that goes black, we should

also turn to computer resources - how much installed and available RAM, how

much free hard drive space...etc.

Lots of hard drive space...small video about 7 min.

4. Do you have the Timeline Snap enabled? Click anywhere in a blank areas

of the Timeline, enable Snap option in the menu that appears. Just trying

to prevent any unwanted tiny gaps between clips.

Yes...enabled

But right now, let us rule in or out the contribution of the Timeline

content to this matter of black frame randomly presenting in your project's

Timeline.

• 7. Re: I have been editing video from an event but when I go to post it on YouTube one frame goes completely black and all you hear is audio. Any help for this rookie would be very much appreciated.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jasonj

Sorry for the delay. Got detoured. Thanks for the additional troubleshooting information that you supplied.

Your issue does not seem restricted to YouTube uploads from within Premiere Elements YouTube feature since you mention these random black frames at the project's Timeline level as well as in the viewing of the upload at YouTube.

When you say that the file's frame rate is about 27, do you mean that it varies or that you are not recalling 29.97 as the NTSC frame rate? I am wondering if your imported source video was recorded with a device that records with variable rather than constant frame rate. Can I assume that, your workflow is consistent in NTSC project, source with NTSC frame rate, and NTSC export/upload or PAL project, source with PAL frame rate, and PAL export/upload?

Whatever the case, it might expedite matters if you could send (as you suggested) a sample of the problem file via a Google Drive or Dropbox shareable link with permission to view and download. You would post that shareable link in your next reply in this thread. This way I will give that file that you are importing into the Premiere Elements project a workout (Premiere Elements and YouTube).

Please consider.

Best wishes

ATR