3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 6:48 AM by Raw Melon

Rarely get Realtime Playback without hiding Layers

Raw Melon Level 1

New to CC2015 (both versions), was fine in CC2014, OS X 10.11.2.

I'm struggling to get any sort of realtime preview playback. The only workaround seems to be to hide everything and work on one or two layers. If lots of keys are on a layer then everything grinds to a halt. Even worse if you need to preview with audio.

Anyone else having this and found a workaround (other than hiding layers)?!

• 1. Re: Rarely get Realtime Playback without hiding Layers
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you close the timeline you should be able to get realtime playback. Other than that the only solution I know if is to set the Preview Panel to skip 1 or 2 frames depending on your system, your frame rate and your comp size. Unfortunately, unless I'm on my maxed out system realtime playback is not happening with 13.6. Even on a puny 2011 Mac Mini I can get realtime playback on any comp with any complexity if the comp is standard 1080 HD (1920 X 1080, 29.97 fps) if I set Magnification Ratio (far left in the comp panel) to 50% and the resolution to 50 and set Skip to 1 frame. Any larger comp size or higher frame rate requires me to skip 2 to get real time playback and audio.

• 2. Re: Rarely get Realtime Playback without hiding Layers
            jeff-7117 Level 1

With the current state of AE CC2015 on the mac, especially with 10.11, you are better off to go back to CC2014 if you want real-time ram previews.  There really isn't an option that will work as well as RAM previews did in CC2014. Hopefully they fix it soon.

• 3. Re: Rarely get Realtime Playback without hiding Layers
              Raw Melon Level 1

Thanks for the responses. Going to stick with the hiding layers for now and hope us little people are being listened to and improvements made. Getting very little enjoyment out of using AE over the past few releases