7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 6:16 AM by Stan Jones

dvd menu for an mp4 file?

brendona46752249

Is it possible to do up a dvd menu and movie  but render it as an .MP4 file that can be played on computers and streamed to televisions and still use an interactive menu? Also Im trying to make a 1080p movie with a menu from what ive created in sony vegas but it seems that i can only get 720p from a lot of these other programs?

A little assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No. A movie clip has no logic. Whatever menu you dream up is still dependent on the player's infrastructure, be that a hardware DVD player or a custom video player software. Some formats like MKV that are also used to rip DVDs/ Blu-Rays can retain some of that functionality, but it still depends on using a suitable player software like VLC, so in the end, it's circular reasoning of sorts...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
            brendona46752249 Level 1

Correct. But I would probably open it from a blu-ray player over my homes network or by plugging in a usb drive or SD card. I am thinking that this still may not be entirely possible with ease but my goal was to save it as a file like an MKV so I could fake a dvd without using one. The problem is, with the video quality I desire, my 2 hour movie is about 45GB and I dont believe writeable dvds are made in that size. Nor would i want to necessarily pay to use such a medium.

The video is from a family vacation I shot with a gopro and I dont want to sacrifice image quality whatsoever. How could I achieve 1080p blu-ray quality while fitting it onto a dvd?

• 3. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can't. It's impossible. You are operating outside any standard spec when you try such combinations. You would have to move on to a real Blu-Ray including all authoring.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

To do what you want to do, you need a DVD or Blu-Ray authoring application.  Toast comes to mind.  Adobe has a DVD authoring application, Encore.

Mylenium's spot-on -- video files all by themselves are d-u-m-b, DUMB!  No way they can do what a authored DVD or Blu-Ray can do.  That's why the technical standards for authoring exist -- so discs can do those things.

• 5. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
                  brendona46752249 Level 1

I have Encore and have been looking at using that, but it doesnt seem to have any way to build the project as anything other than a DVD, Blu-Ray, or a Flash web file. Do you know how to achieve this? Would "Rendering As" save the menu and the way it operates into a usable video file?

• 6. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I've never used Encore, so I've never read the instructions for using Encore... which I strongly suggest you do.

• 7. Re: dvd menu for an mp4 file?
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For questions about Encore, come  to the Encore forum:

Encore

You can build from Encore to a folder or image and play those from a computer to your TV. The Encore to flash/web is an option, but only on devices that support flash. As noted above, none of those really meet your criteria.

Most current TVs will play back mp4 files, and they present the files on a usb/network drive in a sort of "menu" with the file name. You get full HD playback (if supported by the TV), and that is way better than having the DVD/BD menu.