4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 12:59 PM by Willi Adelberger

Hello, Having a few issues InDesign 2015

davidj14622631

Problems when working on a file created in InDesign 2015 –

- Create a file from scratch (eg a simple ad with one picture and a few text boxes)

- When I come to PDF the file, I outline the text (select text boxes and Ctrl O to create outlines) then export the PDF

-Then once it is PDF’d I ‘Ctrl Z’ to undo the outlines, in case the text needs amending in future.

- I then ‘save’, then ‘save as’ a new file in order to create the next ad. When I then attempt to amend the text within a text box it crashes (quits InDesign) and corrupts the file. When it restarts and attempts to recover the file it says something about text frames.

There have also been other random instances of files crashing and then being corrupt, but the above is the main scenario.

Windows 7 PC

The same version works fine On a MAC x 2

• 1. Re: Hello, Having a few issues InDesign 2015
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. NEVER create outline of the text, except for some design reason. ——— NEVER ———— Why should anyone do so?
          2. If you would not go forward or backward I suppose the problem with crashing disappears, but if not, export an IDML, open this and save as new file.
          • 2. Re: Hello, Having a few issues InDesign 2015
            davidj14622631 Level 1

Any reasoning behind this? -

1. NEVER create outline of the text, except for some design reason. ——— NEVER ———— Why should anyone do so?
            • 3. Re: Hello, Having a few issues InDesign 2015
              smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

The reason is really that it doesn't need to be done - and it will affect the look of your type.

When you export a PDF from Indesign, font embedding is automatic, so provided that your fonts are from a reputable source, you should have no problems.

I don't know whether creating outlines, then undo is causing your crashes, but give it a go without outlining and see how you get on.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Hello, Having a few issues InDesign 2015
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Converting text to outline makes following changes to your document:

1. Hinting is lost.
                2. Text frame color is lost.
                3. Transparency effects on the frame are lost.
                4. Paragraph Shading is lost.
                5. Text frame stroke is lost.
                6. Transparency effects on the frame stroke are lost.
                7. Paragraph Rules above are lost.
                8. Paragraph Rules below are lost.
                9. Automatic numbers are lost.
                10. Automatic bullets are lost.
                11. Footnotes are lost.
                12. Cross References are lost.
                13. Underline is lost.
                14. Strike through is lost.
                15. Not possible to get Master objects and page object to outline in one step.
                16. Outlining on Master will exchange markers (like page numbers) and text variables (like running headers) to their placeholder representation.
                17. Edibility gets lost.
                18. Not possible to export a PDF with accessibility standard (governmental requirement in many countries in the world).
                19. Not complete, some more problems …

Enough not to do so.