4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 8:51 AM by djeyewater

Prevent LR altering metadata when no changes are made

djeyewater Level 1

I just imported some photos into LR and then viewed them in the map module. When I exited LR, it said that it 'has not finished writing metadata changes to XMP'. But I didn't make any metadata changes!

I have the 'automatically write changes to XMP' option checked, as I presume without that metadata is written to the catalog rather than the XMP. I have both the 'get location names from geo tags' and 'write location names to images if the location tags are empty' options unchecked.

Weirdly, it only seems to have altered the metadata of one file so far - an xmp sidecar file. Checking this file against a backup, crs:Version has been updated from 8.8 to 9.3, and a lot of other crs namespaced tags have been added. It's also added / changed a few other tags.

How can I setup LR so that it doesn't change any metadata automatically, but only when I edit / change something myself?

• 1. Re: Prevent LR altering metadata when no changes are made
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Simply viewing a photo in Develop starts with the preview but will then pull info from the camera raw cache. So I guess LR is recognizing the latest version of camera raw. There is no need to turn on automatically write to XMP. In fact if you ever had to restore your computer you would probably always rely on the latest catalog.

• 2. Re: Prevent LR altering metadata when no changes are made
            djeyewater Level 1

I haven't viewed any photos in the Develop module yet, only the Library and map modules. I don't mind LR recognising the latest version of ACR, but I don't want it writing the new info to XMP unless I actually edit that photo.

If I turn off 'automatically write to XMP', then won't LR write any changes I make only to the catalog, rather than to the XMP sidecars? I want LR to use XMP sidecars, but only to write to them when I change something.

• 3. Re: Prevent LR altering metadata when no changes are made
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some users like to always write to XMP because they exchange edits with colleagues or clients using the sidecars. Some will also use Time Machine on the Mac for automatic backup versions or similar third party software on Windows. It’s economical to backup changes to those small sidecar files as the raw image files remain unchanged. So it’s a personal choice, but you have to accept that LR is constantly writing to the catalog and the sidecars where that option is selected in preferences. It’s just the way it was designed for non-destructive editing.

• 4. Re: Prevent LR altering metadata when no changes are made
                djeyewater Level 1

I don't think writing to the XMP sidecars when no changes are made should be needed for non-destructive editing though. Seems a bit strange to me.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know that what I was looking for is not possible. I'll turn off the 'automatically write to XMP' option and stick to Bridge for my editing and metadata entry, using LR just for the maps module.