12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 9:23 AM by A.T. Romano

PE 11 instant movie upside down photos

bhansen1014

I am trying to make an instant movie and my photos are coming out side ways and upside down.  When I try to click "edit original" when in the project assets tab it is unselectable.  Do this has worked in the past.  Any advice on how I can proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

• 1. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bhansen1014

Premiere Elements 11 on what computer operating system?

What device recorded those photos and, if cell phone/iPad/iPod or the like, how did you hold the device during the camera's recording session - landscape or portrait?

If you need to edit the photos in the finished Instant Movie on the Timeline, right click that Timeline Instant Movie and select Break Apart Instant Movie.

Then find the incorrectly aligned photos and use the Premiere Elements rotation feature on them...

a. Right click the photo, select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left

or

b. Highlight/select the Timeline photo, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and use the Rotation feature there.

What are the pixel dimension of these incorrectly oriented photos? And, how many photos are on the Timeline, and how many of them have the incorrectly orientation?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
            bhansen1014 Level 1

Thanks ATR!  I greatly appreciate your help!  I have not been able to fix this problem but I have answered your questions below.  It looks like it does have to do with me taking the pictures on my iPhone as portrait or landscape but I'm not sure how to fix this. 

Premiere Elements 11 on what computer operating system?

HP pavilion ENVY dv6 running windows 10

What device recorded those photos and, if cell phone/iPad/iPod or the like, how did you hold the device during the camera's recording session - landscape or portrait?

I have pictures from many devices.... iPhone, gopro, camcorder...  I have rotated the photos on my hard drive to have the proper orientation.  It looks like the photos that are oriented incorrectly are the ones taken from my iPhone in portrait mode and are showing up in my project assets and the instant movie in landscape mode.  But some photos that I have taken in portrait and rotated on my hard drive are correctly oriented.   For example, a correctly oriented picture has dimensions 480x640 and an incorrectly oriented picture had dimensions 640x480. Both of these photos have been re-sized, rotated to the proper orientation and saved that way on my hard drive. 

If you need to edit the photos in the finished Instant Movie on the Timeline, right click that Timeline Instant Movie and select Break Apart Instant Movie.

Then find the incorrectly aligned photos and use the Premiere Elements rotation feature on them...

1. a. Right click the photo, select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left

or

1. b. Highlight/select the Timeline photo, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and use the Rotation feature there.

I cannot figure out how to do this.  Are you sure it is a feature in PE 11?

What are the pixel dimension of these incorrectly oriented photos? And, how many photos are on the Timeline, and how many of them have the incorrectly orientation?

I have 27 photos and 8 of them are oriented incorrectly.  I re-sized the photos and they are oriented correctly on my hard drive but not under the project assets view or in the instant movie in my time line.  The dimensions of the incorrectly oriented photos are 1040x768,640x480 and 1024x768.  The dimensions of the correctly oriented photos are 1024x768, 480x640.

• 3. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
              bhansen1014 Level 1

Wait, as I am taking a closer look,  when I re-sized these photos they were named, IMG_067 (1024x768), for example but when I look at the properties they have dimensions of 768x1024.  These are some of the photos that I am seeing in the correct orientation on my computer but not in the project assets and the instant movie. I also have two pictures that are both 480x640 and are both correctly oriented in my computer but one is showing up sideways in the project assets and the instant movie and the other is showing up correctly.

• 4. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bhansen1014

This is what should be happening....if you have your photo on the Windows computer hard drive and it is in landscape orientation 1024 x 768, then, when you import that into the Premiere Elements project, it should present in the landscape orientation in the edit workspace, special Instant Movie workspace, and in the export of that Instant Movie content.

The Instant Movie workspace works from/refers back to the original photo on the hard drive and not what you have done to the photo once on the Timeline (like switch orientation using Rotation). And, depending on your Instant Movie commands, it will remove any applied effects to Timeline content (like applied rotation effect) before beginning the Instant Movie creation. All that being said, lots of factors, starting with the orientation of the iPhone during recording.

For now, how to fix the photo orientation after the Instant Movie is created.

1. After the Instant Movie is created and is placed automatically on the Timeline, right click it to get the pop up menu with the option to Break Apart Instant Movie.

InstantMovie1.jpg

2. You will next see the Instant Movie broken into its components. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline to get a better view of the components.

InstantMovie2.JPG

In this example, I got stuck with a portrait oriented tulip photo. I want the photo to present in the landscape orientation.

So, I am going to have to find every clip named Tulip and then

a. preferred....select the clip, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and use its Rotation Left.

There were several instances of Tulips to re-orient.

instantmovieedit.jpg

b. the other way is just to right click the Tulip clip and select Rotate Left 90...but that did not always work for me so I suggest "a".

In theory, the orientation of the iPhone during recording coupled with that orientation presenting on the computer hard drive should avoid this problem. Key to remember, Instant Movie workspace is working off the original on the hard drive and not the edited copy on the Timeline.

Also...never had an iPad before. Just got one. I started taking landscape photos with it and emailing them from the iPad. When the email recipient got the email, the photos were landscape but up side down. Exploration and experimentation revealed - if I held the iPad with the Home button facing me on the right during recording, the photos emailed landscape and right side up. And, if I held the iPad with the Home button facing me on the left during recording, the photos emailed landscape but up side down. In either case, the screen view flipped to present as landscape right side up during iPad recording.

Please consider, and then let us know if the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                  bhansen1014 Level 1

Thanks for the detailed advice  ATR!

I tried the preferred method you recommended and it worked for some of the pictures but other pictures went into a weird 360 degree spin.  Maybe it is worth mentioning that the pictures I am having issues with have been taken on an iPhone in portrait and are showing up in my timeline in landscape.

Any advice on how I can proceed?

Thanks again,

Brian

• 6. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                    bhansen1014 Level 1

I have successfully changed the orientation in the past by simply right clicking the photo in project assets tab and clicking edit original.  This would bring up a screen with the picture oriented correctly and I would rotate right, go to the next picture and it would save.  Then I would go back to the picture and move it back to the correct orientation and then move to the next picture and it would save again.  For some reason (even though it was oriented correctly in this view originally, but not in the instant movie) this would make it oriented in the instant movie correctly.  My problem now is that when I right click the picture in the project assets the "edit original" is grayed out or unselectable.  

• 7. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Thanks for the update.

When you did the rotation in the Motion Panel expanded did you work with the shortcut there or did you use the rotation slider.

If rotation slider, then please try the shortcuts there in Motion Panel expanded, but not the shortcuts at the Timeline level.

Please try again with those that when into the 360 spin.

I will be watching for further developments in the morning. I will give a look with my iPad and taking photos in portrait orientation (holding the  iPad in different positions and determining what orientation they show up in when they get to Premiere Elements. Please confirm..at this time, is the landscape orientation showing up in Expert workspace/Projects Assets or after the Instant Movie is finished and exists on the Timeline waiting for export? Also, at this time, given that they are recorded in portrait orientation, what orientation are they on the hard drive just before you import them into Premiere Elements.

Thanks again for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                        bhansen1014 Level 1

When I rotated the pictures I highlighted the picture and then clicked applied affects, clicked motion and clicked rotate right,  I didn't use the slider.  Just one click on the "rotate right" icon.  After I did this 4/6 went into an odd 360 degree spin.  All 6 of these photos are recorded in portrait and are viewed as portrait on my hard drive.  Their dimensions are either 768x1024 or 480x640.  Also all 6 of these photos are viewed as landscape in the expert->project assets tab. 

Thank you for your continued help!

Any advice on how I should proceed?  I really like this instant movie feature and am hesitant to give up on it.

Thanks,

Brian

• 9. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                          bhansen1014 Level 1

Oh, also when I am just about to import them into project assets (add media->files and folders->ctrl a->open) the tab is on all supported media and all the pictures are oriented correctly.

• 10. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

bhansen1014

Thanks for the reply and additional information.

I will look at this later in the day. I have always found that the Instant Movie uses the original on the hard drive and not the copy in the project. So, I think our target is the original on the hard drive. But, I will try to cover all.

To be continued....

ATR

• 11. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                              bhansen1014 Level 1

Do you have any other advice ATR?  I'm still stuck on this issue.

Thanks so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Brian

• 12. Re: PE 11 instant movie upside down photos
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Sorry for the delayed response, I got detoured.

Aside from the orientation at recording, what should have worked to correct the Instant Movie photos in the wrong orientation for you would have been

using the Break Apart Instant Movie, finding the involved file(s) on the Timeline, and applying Rotation to it or them. But, that is not working for you in all cases.

In the cases where it has not worked, have you tried to replace the photo. Ideally, you would go to the photo's thumbnail in Project Assets, right click it, select Replace Footage, and browse to and select the original or other saved to the computer hard drive. Doing that would replace all instances of the photo in the broken apart Instant Movie.

But, let us recap...specific for those photos that will not rotate for you in the broken apart Instant Movie....

All before Instant Movie is used....

a. In what orientation were these photos recorded?

b. In what orientation do they present on the computer hard drive when they are transferred from camera to computer hard drive?

c. In what orientation do they present when imported into Premiere Elements Project Assets?

d. In what orientation do they present at the Timeline level after they have been dragged from Project Assets to the Timeline?

Please consider. The answer to the recap questions will help me in deciding on what next.

Thank you.

ATR