4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 1:18 PM by praguian

Do I need an external SSD with this hardware setup?

praguian Level 1

Sorry, I know you guys get a lot of these, but I'm "starting fresh" so to speak, and want to optimize my setup (cost permitting).

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 1.41.53 PM.png

And the storage is a 1 TB Fusion drive. So I know that is supposed to be "part SSD" or whatever, but do I need to do something explicit to get AE to utilize the SSD part of the drive for rendering?

Let me know if I can answer any more questions about my system, and thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Do I need an external SSD with this hardware setup?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SSD drives are less reliable but faster. Fusion or Hybrid drives combine the best of both worlds kinda sorta. I work mainly with 4 drive raid arrays for reliability and safety. The choice is up to you. In it's current state and in my humble opinion the advantage of SSD drives for normal production work is not a big enough plus to have me spring for an SSD for my primary storage. Using an SSD drive for your cache may improve some operations slightly and other operations significantly. The choice is up to you. BTW, my newest 4 list array is all fusion drives. The others are all server quality drives. I buy no cheapie drives.

• 2. Re: Do I need an external SSD with this hardware setup?
            praguian Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Rick Gerard. I would be looking at an SSD drive for render/cache performance improvement, not file storage. In fact, I would dedicate the SSD to cache only. With that in mind, would you still suggest my current setup is "good enough" without buying a 256 or 512 GB external Thunderbolt SSD?

And can you explain the RAID thing a little more? Do they make external RAID drives? Forgive my ignorance.

• 3. Re: Do I need an external SSD with this hardware setup?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A raid is a collection of hard drives that divide up the data and write to multiple drives simultaneously. You either purchase an enclosure and put in multiple drives and configure them and stripe them using your disk utility or you purchase a raid array already assembled and configured. RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An external smaller SSD just for cache and a few other options will help a bit. With the current versions of AE you're going to be more limited by the CPU and AE's architecture. IOW, it's not going to be the difference between night and day, but it will be faster. Personally I don't bother on my production machine, but I will occasionally use an external SSD when I'm working on my MacBook Pro R.

• 4. Re: Do I need an external SSD with this hardware setup?
                praguian Level 1

Thanks again Rick! I'm using the current CC version of AE, by the way.

I'll do more digging into RAID, but what would a decent RAID array cost me, ballpark-wise?