3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 7:19 AM by dj_paige

managing imported photos

carthurjohn

I save my photos on an internal hard drive and then import into LR5 for processing.

Before I used LR5, I was on LR4 and I used to be able to see my pics in their folders in the same structure as on my hard drive (ie filed by year and then within year by subject and month). However, now in LR5 I have just one gigantic catalogue with no folders and it's really hard to find stuff.

Is there any way to retrofit the pics in the single catalogue to the file structure from which they were imported? We are talking about 27k photos so it's not manageable manually.

• 1. Re: managing imported photos
          dj_paige Level 9

It sounds like you are not using ADD when you import, you have selected COPY (or MOVE).

If that's what has happened, and you have edited the photos, there's really little you can do (other than tedious manual manipulations). You might want to consider using keywords and other metadata instead of folders as your organizational tool, this eliminates any problems from choosing COPY or MOVE or ADD.

If you have not edited the photos, and not added user-supplied metadata, I supoose you could delete the phtoos from Lightroom but not from the hard disk, and re-import. But don't do this if you have edited the photos or added user-supplied metadata.

• 2. Re: managing imported photos
            carthurjohn Level 1

Thanks dj_paige for your help. So the only way to do it is manually (don't suppose I'll ever find the time to make that happen!)

Just to check one thing on your reply: if you choose add when importing, does that duplicate the pics so they are held in two different places?

• 3. Re: managing imported photos
              dj_paige Level 9

Just to check one thing on your reply: if you choose add when importing, does that duplicate the pics so they are held in two different places?

No. COPY makes a copy, so now you have two exactly the same files of your photo (in different directories). ADD does not make a copy, so there is only one version of your photo on your hard disk, and leaves the photo exactly where it is.