0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 12:36 PM by andreah67049046

How do I prevent a pre-existing header from moving down the page during Bates-numbering?

andreah67049046

This may be a problem unique to documents altered by the federal court system.  Adobe .pdf documents that have been submitted by a filer to the federal court system get a header stamped on them by the court's Electronic Court Filing (ECF) system.  The header contains the court name and case number.  The generated header indicates that a document has been officially filed.  The document is usually subsequently downloaded from the court's system and kept with the header as evidence of filing.  Sometimes those documents with that header need to have consecutive numbering added (such as when creating an Appendix for an appeal) and the Bates numbering feature is used.

The problem is that the Bates-numbering feature moves the header down to the middle of the page, thus altering the document.  This can be prevented by not checking the "Shrink document to avoid overwriting the document's text and graphics" in the Appearance Options, but that creates its own problem, in that if the document is not shrunk, then the Bates number may overwrite the text and graphics, which is also not acceptable.  Clicking the "Keep position and size of header/footer text constant when printing on different page sizes" does not help.

I have tried printing to Adobe PDF, and making sure "print as image" is checked before applying Bates numbering, but the heading still moves, which I definitely don't understand, because that indicates to me that it was not truly printed as just an image.

I am using Adobe Acrobat 10.1.16.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Thoughts/suggestions/answers?

Thanks in advance.