3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 11:53 PM by Mylenium

Tracking text to 3D revolving object (depth, orientation, etc)

Hayden_Patterson_Animator Level 1

Hi all,

I need to make text rotate with a CG 3D object.  Below is a link to an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om5HXv58PX4

I've tracked text using the built in tracking feature in AE,  but it's always been flat text, it didn't need to revolve with the object.  Do I have to do this manually, or is there a simpler way via a feature?

Thanks in advance for all help!

Hayden

• 1. Re: Tracking text to 3D revolving object (depth, orientation, etc)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest thing to do is add your text in a 3-D app and tie it to the object you are rotating. Rotation properties in C4D are not accessible by expressions but if you are using element or Zack's works to add your 3-D object to the comp then you should be able to  tie the 3-D text layer directly to the rotation of the 3-D model. To make it work properly you will have to adjust the anchor point of the 3-D text layer so that it matches the center of rotation of the 3-D object.

If you are using Cinema 4D then you can add a 3D null to an empty composition, export that comp as a Cinema 4D project and then center The imported object on the null and then use parenting in AE to rotate the 3-D text layer.

• 2. Re: Tracking text to 3D revolving object (depth, orientation, etc)
            Hayden_Patterson_Animator Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the quick response.  In this case, I will only be handling the typography, so I'm being provided a video. I made a mistake in my initial post - the video will be live action, but similar in that it will be a rotating watch, I believe.  So there isn't a way to track a feature of the watch through "space" only using AE?  This is great info for future C4D combos though, thank you.

• 3. Re: Tracking text to 3D revolving object (depth, orientation, etc)
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Tracking rotations that face away from the camera will always be tricky or even impossible. Normally one would still put markers on the turntable or put "poles" around the perimeter to capture the rotation. then you would simply align your overlays with that data. As always - half the success of good tracking is proper preparation. Otherwise you just have to muddle through and manually match the stuff.

Mylenium