10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 6:21 AM by Gutter-Fish Branched to a new discussion.

Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016: http://bit.ly/1QvNft0

Our current plan is focus on quality and performance. But those are big areas. We need your input to tell us what specific quality issues you want us to address and what specific things you'd like us to make faster.

Take this very brief survey to give us your input:

http://bit.ly/1QvNft0

• 1. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
          dissidently Level 1

It's not on the survey, so I'll add it here.

I'd like the After Effects team to go on strike.

I'd like them to walk out, tools down, with one stipulation: That their resources be tripled, their pays doubled and the holidays halved.

Whoops. That's three things. Could be a bug in my code base, an incomplete feature or a matter to ignore. Not sure which.

But neither is anyone at Adobe, apparently.

• 2. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
            jeff-7117 Level 1

I filled out the survey.  The only thing that really should be on the survey is one item with one singular check box that says "FIX REAL TIME RAM PREVIEW."  AFTER EFFECTS HAS TO BE ABLE TO RAM PREVIEW REAL TIME, JUST LIKE IT DID IN CC2014.  THIS INCLUDES WORKING WITH AUDIO.  For something as basic as real-time previews and key-framing to audio, CC2014 is still way ahead of this better, faster, newer version.  I just switched back to CC2014 for this very reason.  My same stable CC2014 project is all over the place in CC2015.  Sometimes it's real time, sometimes after three times through the timeline, the audio is real time, sometimes it works great with the comp window solo.  But, most of the time, it's extremely frustrating to try and play back audio and footage real-time in CC2015.  I would gladly take a render hit with twice as slow render time for rock solid ram previews.  CC2014 could plow through comps that were LOADED with layers, keyframes and footage without even a hiccup.  CC2015 still struggles with simple basic playback.  It really defeats the purpose of allowing us to make changes "on the fly" if we can't get an accurate playback of the adjustments we are trying to make.  Hiding the timeline should not have to be a solution to getting real time ram previews either.  Again, what good does "on the fly" changes do us if we can't see the timeline to make the change?

This is a basic, core functionality of your flagship motion graphics program.  STABLE REAL TIME PLAYBACK should be the only priority on your list until it works as well as it did in CC2014.  Those of us that use your software to make a living are counting on you guys and girls to get it right in 2016.

• 4. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
              jeff-7117 Level 1

Hardly. Just a frustrated 14 year AE user.  Speaking for myself anyway.

• 5. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

No, that question was for the OP.

• 6. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
                  dissidently Level 1

In a sense, I think you're right. Well, in most sense, really.

Trolling has somewhat lost its meaning. For anyone confused, it's meaning is to trawl humans away from something. It's not what some mainstream media use it for, which is to describe public critique and/or objectionable comments on social networks. That's just what it is - public criticism in a more connected world, not trolling.

In the correct sense of the word, this entire forum and Adobe's chat help systems (and especially the secluded, private, bug reporting) are trolling users away from more direct, cooperative and public expressions of their rage against the issues of using modern Adobe software.

Everything facing the customer and all means of handling the customer are trolling them away to the least damaging way for them to express their frustrations so Adobe can enjoy their profits in relative peace.

It's masterful public relations management, in a most cynical and contemptuous manner. As is the entire subscription model of pricing when it doesn't contain a right to purchase.

And buying Behance.

This is a company at the top of its game.

So, yes, Todd's post is a continuation of the trolling strategies of Adobe's user management.

The poll is private, and similar to democratising (and therefore distributing) blame amongst users.

It's a product manager's job to innately understand users and their desires, and to even predict and forecast their future needs and desires.

But Adobe doesn't need that kind of product manager, they've got a monopoly.

They need a way to make the greatest possible profits with the least possible repercussions for the negatives of scraping their users at the expense of product quality, reliability and functionality.

This isn't limited to AE. Take a look at the Photoshop forums, too.

• 7. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
                    Mr. Zogg Level 1

The, "Cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback" error has been the subject complaints in this forum for AT LEAST 2 YEARS! I wonder how long it can possibly take before Adobe reacts.

• 8. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
                      Edo75 Level 1

Just make 2015 work flawlessly would be already great.

• 9. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
                        Snakedogman Level 1

Well, all cynicism aside (however I can understand the sentiment), I think it's a good thing that the AE team are asking for our feedback and it takes but a few moments to fill out the survey. Todd has already stated that 2016 will be mostly about performance and stability, and I think we would all agree that this makes sense considering the state of CC2015 right now. Though there are many other areas where AE could be improved, I think getting the performance and stability right should take priority over everything else right now.

• 10. Re: Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.
                          Gutter-Fish Level 4

I really hope it will be ONLY about performance and stability.  I personally will be deeply insulted if they spend even a moment on anything BUT performance and stability until AE is stable and performing correctly.  If the release is stable & performing well then albeit throw in some "workflow confusion" and bells and whistles.  As far as I'm concerned even a new splash screen is a waste of time at this point.  They should be doing NOTHING except putting back together what they've taken apart...even the name change is time better spent.