4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 3:54 AM by Just Shoot Me

Photoshop Lightroom CC using wrong graphics processor

shikamu Level 1

Yesterday I signed up and downloaded Photoshop Lightroom CC (finally gave in since my newest camera isn't supported by Lightroom 5.7).  At the moment both, by default, use my graphics processor.  Actually, on my i7 computer I have 2 though:

- Intel HD Graphics 4000

- Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2gb

I am using the following laptop:

Dell Inspiron 17R SE (17.3")

i7-3630qm (2.4ghz, Turbo Burst 3.4Ghz)

256gb ssd (Win8.1, LR catalog and previews)

1tb hd (photo and data files)

8gb ram

Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2gb

Both LR and PS are using the Intel HD Graphics 4000.  I think that probably the Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2gb would be faster, but I don't see a way to tell them to use it instead.  Anyone know?  Here is some additional info:

I am using the latest Dell nvidia driver:  9.18.13.3165.

I tried using the nvidia control panel to see if there was something there.  I found some things that looked encouraging, but after trying them out nothing changed. In all cases when I check LR or PS it still shows it is using Intel Graphics 4000.  I tried both setting the global setting to use nvidia and also tried setting the specific programs to use nvidia.  I also noticed several other weird things.  If I quit the nvidia control panel and then restart it it shows that even though I had forced PS to use nvidia it had been reset to the global setting (auto select integrated).  I also tried changing the global setting to nvidia, but then when I quit the nvidia control panel and restarted it I saw that the global setting had been reset to auto select.  One more thing.  PS CC and LR CC were not listed in the list of programs in the Program Settings tab so I added them.  When I quit the control panel and start it up again LR CC has disappeared again, but PS CC is still there.

I also tried rebooting after making changes, but the result was the same.  Here are some screenshots:

LR_CC_gpu.jpg

NVIDIA_1.jpg

NVIDIA_2.jpg

NVIDIA_3.jpg

• 1. Re: Photoshop Lightroom CC using wrong graphics processor
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi shikamu,

Thanks for your Detailed Thread.

Let us know if that helps

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Photoshop Lightroom CC using wrong graphics processor
            shikamu Level 1

Akash, thank you for the reply.  I am sorry to be late in responding, but I have been doing more investigation and also the Christmas holidays have been a bit busy.

I read the link you posted and checked everything.  Still no go.  I was able to finally run LR using the nvidia card by right clicking on lightroom.exe and telling it to run with the nvidia graphics processor.  Inside LR I verified that it was using nvidia by checking the performance tab.  The result using the nvidia processor or the Intel 4000 processor were pretty much the same in the develop module.  In both cases I didn't notice any speed up compared to not using a graphics processor for most things.  For a few things though they were slower than not using a gpu.  For now I have told LR to not use a gpu.

For PS though doing the right click thing still resulted in PS using the Intel gpu.  I haven't done any experimentation to see if PS, like LR, is worse using the gpu.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Lightroom CC using wrong graphics processor
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggest you post the Photoshop issue in the Photoshop forum... you will have a greater chance of a solution...

• 4. Re: Photoshop Lightroom CC using wrong graphics processor
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Problem is you are on a notebook that specifically wants to use the lowest power consuming GPU available, that is until a program specifically asks, needs, to use the discrete GPU. The software included with the notebook by the manufacturer and Windows is set up that way to use less battery power and lower the heat output. Not much you can do about it. But as you have found out the use of the GPU, even a discrete dedicated GPU, doesn't really speed things up in LR and sometimes slows it down.

Your best bet it to just turn that option off and stop thinking about it. Same goes for Photoshop.