4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 7:49 AM by Karl Heinz Kremer

Acrobat X 10.1.16 saving reduced size PDFs

Jwselby Level 1

I use Acrobat X 10.1.16 on Mac 10.11.2 and it will not allow me to save PDFs in reduced size. Adobe only seem to recognise Acrobat DC. It was working before but not now. Any assistance is helpful.

• 1. Re: Acrobat X 10.1.16 saving reduced size PDFs
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Yes, this seems to be an incompatibility in Mac OS 10.11, there are many reports. Not sure if it is fixed in Acrobat DC, but certainly there will be no fixes for Acrobat 10 as it is past end of support. It's possible it's a Mac OS problem and Apple will fix it, but don't hold your breath.

• 2. Re: Acrobat X 10.1.16 saving reduced size PDFs
            kathylett Level 1

I spoke to a supposed expert in Acrobat X and XI. He told me the 10.1.16 update intentionally broke this feature to force customers to upgrade to Acrobat DC.

Not sure if this is true but I will not be purchasing an additional Adobe products. There are many options for creating and optimizing PDFs. Many of which are better, easier to use and more affordable than Adobe Acrobat DC.

• 3. Re: Acrobat X 10.1.16 saving reduced size PDFs
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I'm pretty sure your supposed expert is wrong, I don't think older versions worked any better. But certainly Acrobat X is out of support, and Adobe only make fixes for new systems in the latest version. They expect their loyal customers to upgrade each time - or to subscribe, which includes all upgrades.

• 4. Re: Acrobat X 10.1.16 saving reduced size PDFs
                Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

You are running Acrobat X Pro on a system it was never designed to work on - Mac OS X 10.11 is too new and came out after support (and therefore updates) for Acrobat X ended. As long as you are running Acrobat X Pro on a supported version of the operating system, it works fine - I just pulled out my old Mac, started up Acrobat X and (after making sure that I was running the latest version), used the "Reduced file size" option and it worked. This shows that nothing was broken by Adobe, the functionality is still there, but you will have to use it in an environment that it was actually created for and tested on.