14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 11:21 AM by redfordl2012

Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?

redfordl2012 Level 1

When i try to open an image from the library function  and click on the image the load logo will go on and it will take a few seconds for the image to appear.  What can i do for the imge to appear instanetaneously without taking a few seconds to loaod.  Dos this have someting to do with rendering previews (standard)?  If i hit the rendering previews function under library  and then hit render all standard previews will this correct the loading image problem. note i have 52,00 images in my catalogue. i tested it out this morning and some images will open up without loading and others will open up and take 5 secs or so. whats tdhe solution?  Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi redfordl,

Please let us know few things.

What Lightroom Version are you using?

What Operating System are you using?

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
            redfordl2012 Level 1

I am using version 5.7 ltrm,but it was happening in lrm version cc 2015 before i uninstalled it. Windows 7 hp.

• 3. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
              dj_paige Level 9

What size in pixels (width and height) are these photos? (Do not tell me the size in megabytes)

What CPU do you use? How much memory does your computer have?

• 4. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                redfordl2012 Level 1

have del l inspiron 546 with 8gigs physical memory 4.46 gigs available  and total virtual mem of 15.5 with available mem of 7.75, image size is 5184x 3456 pixels of hor. images.    8gig 2 dimm  ddr2 memory.  I have two disk drives on my cpu with lrm and pictures on my f drive (1 tb) with 30.5 gigs of free space. . at one time had 100 gigs of free space as i deleted a # of images (last week) but when i started the catalogue for lrm 5.7 for some odd reason the deleted images showed up again in the catalogue  and i was down to 30.5 gig of free space. what happened here i do not know.  Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                  dj_paige Level 9

I don't see the information about what CPU you are using.

When your hard disk gets low on free space, that can indeed cause any program to slow down.

If you delete images from the hard disk, they still appear in Lightroom. This is normal behavior. You'd have to delete them from Lightroom as well.

• 6. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                    redfordl2012 Level 1

sorry my cpu  is an AMD athlon II x 2 250 with a dual core. (3.0 ghz,2mb)  When i delete images from lightrm and indicate that i want them deleted from the hard drive shouldn"t  the info on the left panel of lrm  indicate on my f drive(where pictures are located) the reduction in size on this f drive.  As i said i had my f drive reduced to 120 gig of free space (after spending several wks of deleing images from lrm)then when i downloaded the catalogue again from 5.7 the figure had gone down to 30gig. after uninstalling 6.3.  Thus i wasted several wks of deleting images to reduce the size of lrm  f drive.  m#Will a rendering of previes(standard) aqll the images reduce the loading time of some of the images when it is done bu9ilding these previews.  Although when loading new images into lrm it automatically does a building  of standard previews.  From a computer stupie so be patient with me.  Thanks for your help!!

• 7. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                      dj_paige Level 9

You have a very old (by computer standards) CPU. I honestly think that is the cause of your slow generating of images in the develop module. So my advice is to get a faster CPU, or a new computer. But freeing up space on your drive is also a good thing to do in general.

I don't think rendering the previews will help with your problem. As I understand things, the Develop Module always renders a new preview (it doesn't use existing previews, which are used in the Library Module).

• 8. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                        redfordl2012 Level 1

The problem is in the library module in the grid view when i open one image some of them will load instantaneously  and others will take several seconds to load up 4-6 secs or so. The develop module is working fine. The sliders etc. are working ok. Thanks!

• 9. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                          redfordl2012 Level 1

as a matter of fact i just downloaded some images from a mem card(creating a new catalogue)  and i opened up these images in the library module one by one and they opened instantaneously with out any loading time.  me thinks it has to do with my original lrm 5 cat and not my cpu has i had upgraded the ddram to 8 gigs etc. Beforee i installed lrm 6.3 lrm 5.7 was working fine.. anyway any ideas? It might be a catalogue thing and not a cpu thing. their are 53,00 images in my orig. cat.

• 10. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                            dj_paige Level 9

Okay, so now I am confused by your terminology.

What do you mean "open one image"? Exactly what does it mean to "open" an image in the Library Module?

• 11. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                              redfordl2012 Level 1

on the library module(in grid view) some open up right away others take time to load up to ten secs..  i recently downloaded some new images from a mem card different catalogue(newly created) and opened up the images same way and no loading time they opened up immediately also no processing had been done in develop module.

• 12. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                                dj_paige Level 9

I don't know what you mean by saying "open". You have to describe this in detail. Exactly what mouse clicks or menu commands or keyboard shortcuts are you using here to "open" the photo. DETAILS! Lots of DETAILS!

• 13. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is in the library module in the grid view when i open one image some of them will load instantaneously  and others will take several seconds to load up 4-6 secs or so. The develop module is working fine. The sliders etc. are working ok. Thanks!

It might already been said above but this is generally caused by the right size preview not being available for those images or the preview being out of date. In that case, Lightroom needs to rerender the image from the raw file and that will take a few seconds, especially on older hardware. You should also make sure that your standard preview size is large enough for the display you are using. This is set in Catalog Settings->File Handling. In Lightroom 5, you need to make sure the standard preview size is larger than the longer dimension of your screen. In Lightroom 6/2015, the trick is to set the size to "Auto".  

• 14. Re: Opening images problem from Laibrary mode in lrm?
                                    redfordl2012 Level 1

opening an image in lrm entails clicking on library module,then clicking on grid view then double clicking on image to open it up in full view.