2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 8:15 AM by G. Spargo

Renamed Folder Attempt in LR CC wiped folder off external drive

G. Spargo Level 1

Can't seem to find anything about this in this forum or even out on the wild wild web...

I attempted to rename a folder WITHIN Lightroom (I wanted to change 'Places'  into PLACES.  Got a dialog warning that basically said no, it couldn't do that.  Annoying, sure.  BUT - when I went back to my external field drive where this folder with  4,000 plus were stored in the 'Places' folder (with many subfolders)  the Places folder was gone.  Along with the subfolders.  The images do not show up in a search of the external drive either. These images are not in the trash either.   Obviously, locaitng folders and pictures using lightroom will not work since that parent folder is no longer showing up on the hard drive where it lived.  And no, I am not yet backed up as I am still in the field.  I am now attempting a recovery scan using a 3rd party program on my X drive.

Any ideas what happened here?

• 1. Re: Renamed Folder Attempt in LR CC wiped folder off external drive
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't really know what happened, but it sounds like a variation of this bug, or perhaps it isn't a variation of the bug, it's the exact same bug.

Anyway, if you can't recover the photos using a 3rd party program, you should restore the photos from your camera cards.

• 2. Re: Renamed Folder Attempt in LR CC wiped folder off external drive
            G. Spargo Level 1

Thank you for the links to the other issues.  Sounds like this mystery bug is the problem.  While I understand ADOBE techs have been unable to replicate the problem, I am wondering if there is some issue when using an external hard drive that might be part of this.  Maybe some conflict in directory heirarchy? 

For the record,  I am using a 2013 Macbook PRO 15"/ Yosemite  (LR Catalog lives there) 

Photos were stored on SEAGATE 4TB external drive using a WIndows NT filesystem

Wish there was a decent solution.  Makes me REALLY distrust Lightroom now.  Sure I can recover the images from the original disks.  I can't recover the time I spent and will spend on replicating all this.