4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 11:05 AM by Rick Gerard

Mask path to Motion Path Problems

dustyf7491

I am creating a mask path on my shape layer, and then copy and pasting the path properties onto the transform position properties for a shape, however when I do so, the shape is completely moved. I would think that I shouldn't experience this since I am creating the initial mask path on the shape layer I'm pasting to?

I've attached images below showing the behavior:

Before (shows mask path, and element, blue dot, that I am attempting to target with the motion path)

before.jpg

After (as you can see the blue dot is completely moved from its initial position after pasting the mask path into the transform position properties for the blue dot group 6)

after.jpg

Can someone explain how this should be done to animate along the original mask path which should follow the red line?

• 1. Re: Mask path to Motion Path Problems
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm assuming the blue dot is a shape layer. You will have to zero out the shape position property so that the dot is directly over the anchor point of the layer.

• 2. Re: Mask path to Motion Path Problems
            dustyf7491 Level 1

Yeah, I can manually readjust the anchor point for it to paste correctly into place, but should it not paste in place since it was created on the same layer (same dimensions, anchor point, etc?). Ultimately I do not want to have to do any adjustments after the fact, just paste from mask to position.

• 3. Re: Mask path to Motion Path Problems
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

The layer dimensions and the comp dimensions must match.  The pixel aspect ratios have to match, too.  If they don't, problems ensue.

• 4. Re: Mask path to Motion Path Problems
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's the basic steps for perfect mask path or shape path to motion path.

1. Create a new solid or use the pen tool to draw a path on a new shape layer
                2. If you chose to create a new solid use the pen tool to draw a path
                3. Unbreakable rule: the layer must be at the default position, rotation and scale value
                4. Press  Alt/Option + m then Ctrl/Cmnd + c to set and copy a mask path keyframe
                5. If you are using a shape layer press the u key twice to reveal the shape path then set and copy a shape path keyframe
                6. Select your target layer
                7. Make sure that the anchor point is located exactly at the center of motion you desire for that layer
                8. Press Alt/Option + p then Ctrl/Cmnd + v to set and paste position keyframes

This works every time. If the layer containing the mask path or shape path has been scaled, repositioned, or rotated the motion path will not ever match the original path.