2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 7:22 AM by GreenTeamTek

Collect Files vs Just make a new AEP file

GreenTeamTek

I'm poking around for some advice. I'm a little new to AE and trying to figure out the best work flow.

I am working on a series of short videos (I think there will be 25 total), and trying to figure out how to best streamline the process.

When I create a new video for the series, should I be collecting the files and creating it in its own folder, or should I just create the new AEP file in the same root folder? I ask this because there are a lot of similar elements (effects, footage, etc) for each video.

Thinking through this, it seems to me that to stay organized, I should be collecting the files and making each video its own entity. Because there'd be nothing cooler than digging through 100+ PS or AI layers to find the titles/content that I need.

I may have just answered my own question. Is there a reason to do anything other than my current course of action (Collect, then make anew)? I can imagine people putting together a TV series wanting to keep each project separate.

• 1. Re: Collect Files vs Just make a new AEP file
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

It sounds like you have to use the Collect Files command a lot.  Any chance of getting all the necessary files in the same spot or two BEFORE you begin your AE work?  It helps a lot in the long run.

If this is a series, there's a VERY good chance you'll use certain files over & over again: logos, animated graphics, what have you.  I have such files myself, so all that stuff goes into a folder named "Common Footage".  As I find I need additional files that will be used in the future, they go into that folder, too.  Then for each new project, I make a folder containing the project file, a "Footage" folder for files used only in that project, and a "Completed" folder where the renders go.

You might be able to get away with four folders:  "Common Footage", "Footage" for stuff unique to each episode, "Completed" and a "Projects" folder which would contain the project files: "Episode 1", "Episode 2", etc.

• 2. Re: Collect Files vs Just make a new AEP file
            GreenTeamTek Level 1

Thank you for your input, sir! I greatly appreciate it. I will probably end up doing exactly what you suggest.